PDA

View Full Version : looking to upgrade

C70Dan
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 00:29
I've got a 2000 c70 t5, I'm looking into making it have a bit more poke and was wondering the best and cheapest way to do it. I'd like a bit of a sporty exhaust, but not one of the stupid ones that sound like the world is going to end! and i'm looking into having a re-map, but really be-grudge paying hundreds for someone to plug it into a laptop.

Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to go about it?

Cheers, Dan

AlanG
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 00:38
Welcome Dan. Safest way to burn your tyres is a re-map. With yours being an ME7 there are a couple of options but not cheap. Either the PPC method which is a plug and play through the OBD11 in the centre console or have the ECU re-programmed. My choice would be the PPC as you own the software and can re-download it if for any reason it gets overwritten..i.e if the stealer does a software upgrade. You'll need to raid the change jar though....from what I've heard it's the thick end of 500 sovs.

volvoturboman
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 01:19
if your looking for more poke from a t5, then mate your a speed freak LOL. Alan is on the money though, that'd be the best way to go.

Azza
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 09:48
I personally can't fault the Rica PPC that RT Mechanics sorted out for me (although obviously you can just do it yourself).

It's really transformed my T5 into a beast, completely changing the performance and the added enjoyment I now get out of my car, plus it was on special offer when I had it done so it cost around £400.

C70Dan
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 10:57
if your looking for more poke from a t5, then mate your a speed freak LOL. Alan is on the money though, that'd be the best way to go.

lol! You get used to the speed and it gets boring after a while. I used to have a 600cc bike and that got slow in the end (untill i chucked it down the road)

C70Dan
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 10:59
Is there no one that does re-maps a bit cheaper. Is it just me or does anyone think it's a bit steep to plug your car into a laptop.

C70Dan
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 11:02
Welcome Dan. Safest way to burn your tyres is a re-map. With yours being an ME7 there are a couple of options but not cheap. Either the PPC method which is a plug and play through the OBD11 in the centre console or have the ECU re-programmed. My choice would be the PPC as you own the software and can re-download it if for any reason it gets overwritten..i.e if the stealer does a software upgrade. You'll need to raid the change jar though....from what I've heard it's the thick end of 500 sovs.

Does no one on here have one of these that we can share? Or can it only be used once? I don't know how it works but does anyone fancy sharing at one?

thebadger
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 11:12
Have you done all of the minor mods to gain the minor power?

Move the horns off the intercooler, get a K&N panel, and remove the splash gaurd?

Theres about 10HP right there (not a joke) which will cost you £35ish.

Also consider a good service of filters oil etc, as this can have a really good influence.

TCV hoses & the BCS can be changed for about £100. (IPD do an uprated one for about £80ish on PFV) Hose clips & a 3ft lenth of silicone hose... big difference!

After that you'll be looking at an ECU upgrade or map.

Changing the suspension setup can put the power down better so can add some acceleration (not speed as such).

Azza
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 11:22
I think the cost is related to all the development that goes into making the map safe and perform well. And no, I think the map is locked to the car itself.

TBH, no, I don't think it's a lot to fork out, considering the performance gains, not a lot at all...

Wombatbomb
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 11:54
Is there no one that does re-maps a bit cheaper. Is it just me or does anyone think it's a bit steep to plug your car into a laptop.

It's the same as most things, you get what you pay for. A properly written map for £400'ish is much cheaper than the £100 for some dodgy copy that results in you needing a whole new engine.....

The PPC remap units are slaved to the car they are first installed to.

MIKESC70T5
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 21:50
Does no one on here have one of these that we can share? Or can it only be used once? I don't know how it works but does anyone fancy sharing at one?

Can't be done i'm afraid.The software is locked to the one car and it's vin number. Buy an earlier non me7 model and pay around £150 for a dodgy copy remap.
I've had a ppc on my me7 c70 sometime now and can't fault it. You pay for the quality along with the useful feature of being able to put it on and take it off whenever needed. Also if fuel keeps on going up i have the advantage of being able to take the map off and then being able to run on standard unleaded again.

C70Dan
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 23:41
Have you done all of the minor mods to gain the minor power?

Move the horns off the intercooler, get a K&N panel, and remove the splash gaurd?

Theres about 10HP right there (not a joke) which will cost you £35ish.

Also consider a good service of filters oil etc, as this can have a really good influence.

TCV hoses & the BCS can be changed for about £100. (IPD do an uprated one for about £80ish on PFV) Hose clips & a 3ft lenth of silicone hose... big difference!

After that you'll be looking at an ECU upgrade or map.

Changing the suspension setup can put the power down better so can add some acceleration (not speed as such).

Does it really make that much difference?

I read about moving the horns, but didn't think it'd do much. I'll do it when I get chance. I forgot about the K and N filter, i'll do that an all.

Had it up to 110 on the way home tonight on the A666, so she's still got it. See if I can get 120 when i've moved my horns, lol

C70Dan
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 23:45
Can't be done i'm afraid.The software is locked to the one car and it's vin number. Buy an earlier non me7 model and pay around £150 for a dodgy copy remap.
I've had a ppc on my me7 c70 sometime now and can't fault it. You pay for the quality along with the useful feature of being able to put it on and take it off whenever needed. Also if fuel keeps on going up i have the advantage of being able to take the map off and then being able to run on standard unleaded again.

Sorry to be numb, but is the PPC the one where you do it yourself?

What BHP does it put it up to? Mines an Auto and it takes ages to get it to set off, will this sort it out?

cheers, Dan

C70Dan
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 23:47
Thanks for all your help everyone, it's much appreciated

AlanG
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 23:51
Best to have a look around the interweb mate,but I think your car goes to around 310BHP with Rica via PPC which you do yourself through the OBD11 port in the centre console. Auto or man,makes no difference. Have a look at HLM Tuning(Hamish).

LeeT5
Friday 24th July 2009, 00:43
Don't even consider PPC remap until you have done the basics..ie:

Oil service, air filters (get a K+N panel), New plugs. Also it is vital you ensure your brakes are in impeccable order. All those extra horses means you need better brakes or your braking distance will increase quite a lot. Do a complete brake fluid flush and replace with dot 5.1 or fully synthetic. Personally i would fit new front discs and pads, OE all the way.

Then...and only then will you be ready to PPC upgrade.

The difference is awesome!! It puts a brilliant smile on yer face..guaranteed!

If you haven't already, fit a Volvo front strut brace. There only £70 and will elliminate all the torque steer that you get in a FWD car. One of the best mods i ever did on my old T5:smile:

Then get the PPC. You can either get it from RICA or BSR. Personally i chose BSR because two reasons. 1) Price 2) RICA aftersales is terrible. They are both the same and with almost identical stats. However, everyone is forgetting one major thing! The Figures quoted will not be achieved on a standard exhaust! Therefore you are looking at more like £700 without Vat!

For the record i payed £695 for a stage II BSR PPC upgrade and BSR dual exhaust inc fitting. Add the VAT and it's £800! The PPC bit is done after the exhaust and takes about 5 minutes...this can be done yourself so no charge there. Then you gotta start the car, let it idle for about 15 minutes to warm up and let the ECU relearn the new parameters (with the new exhaust comes little to no back pressure).
Then your off....and by golly, are you off!!! :jaw: Believe me it's worth every penny..all day, every day. Hell, i even save money because i am definately getting better miles to the gallon.

An extra 60bhp and 100nm torque is enough. My heavy ass AWD R pulls like a train and changes gear sooner going up. I drove down to Devon last month and i got an extra 50 miles out the tank easy. Like everyone says, you get what you pay for. I advise against sending your ecu away for a cheap upgrade. If it goes wrong your car won't work and your stuck. If the PPC fails then you just remove it and reprogramme back to stock.

Enough said.

AlanG
Friday 24th July 2009, 00:57
Didn't bother mentioning any of the above as it's just common sense........

volvoturboman
Friday 24th July 2009, 01:51

I read about moving the horns, but didn't think it'd do much. I'll do it when I get chance. I forgot about the K and N filter, i'll do that an all.

Had it up to 110 on the way home tonight on the A666, so she's still got it. See if I can get 120 when i've moved my horns, lol

Hope you weren't going to hard when you chucked the bike, that certainly wouldn't have been boring lol. :splat:

I know what you mean, although I wouldn't have said boring I did become very used to my T5's power, my V70 seems very slow now. :o

You do realise you just admitted speeding at a location,:eye-poppi lets hope none of those a em ............ nice friendly, hard working police men :hilarious seen that. £200 an I won't squeal :deal:. Let me know if you get the 120mph.:B_thumb:

Pliskin
Friday 24th July 2009, 08:46
Dan,
If you can get over to Hazel Grove at any time I will take you out for a wiz in my 854, it is currently running a 280 map, but I also have a 304 which I can easily put it.

It's the non ME7 engine but it will give you an idea of what to expect for your cash.

thebadger
Friday 24th July 2009, 09:40

I'm told that as they block a large area of the IC shifting them uncovers 15% of the surface of the IC... must be something in that!

The panel adds about 5-10BHP on it's own. Removing the splash guard stops deflection & allows better flow into the air box.

A custom exhaust will add LOADS more than all of that that tho! (about 25BHP can be gained) So an exhaust may be your best first bet!

Azza
Friday 24th July 2009, 09:41
Just do it, you won't regret it!

Wobbly Dave
Friday 24th July 2009, 10:33
If moving your horns made 2p worth of difference I would have done it years ago. Old wives tale and not worth the bother.

I would remove the snow scoop from the front.

What fuel are you using? If you are not already - start with V-Power.

Make sure you get it properly serviced - add a panel filter and an exhaust.

Get someone to ensure that your actuator/wastegate pressure is set properly (4psi).

Then look at the remaps.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 24th July 2009, 10:46
Also it is vital you ensure your brakes are in impeccable order. All those extra horses means you need better brakes or your braking distance will increase quite a lot.

This is not true - the braking distance is dependant on the mass/inertia of the vehicle.

The extra horses will make it easier to get to a certain speed and will probably incline you use them more. But the braking force involved will be no greater.

Your car will already have 302mm disks and assuming they are in good order then getting some ferrodo DS Performance/ ferrodo DS2500 pads will leave you in good order.

hamish
Friday 24th July 2009, 11:28

Dan,

With our new ECM Tune Express you can tune upto 5 cars. It is a low cost version of our professional tool that has been streamlined for the occassional performance tuner and end-user. For more information visit: www.hlmtuning.co.uk/self_tuning.html
It does offer very good value for a programming tool but it is still in excesses of £500. You would probably be happier with the price of a 'Chip' Tune which can easily be done on your car if the tuner has the tool to remove the ECM.

Regards,
Hamish.
www.hlmtuning.co.uk.

LeeT5
Friday 24th July 2009, 15:41
This is not true - the braking distance is dependant on the mass/inertia of the vehicle.

The extra horses will make it easier to get to a certain speed and will probably incline you use them more. But the braking force involved will be no greater.

Your car will already have 302mm disks and assuming they are in good order then getting some ferrodo DS Performance/ ferrodo DS2500 pads will leave you in good order.

Not meaning to split hairs here...but that's kinda what i meant! If the above was true then they would fit fiesta discs and pads to a Porsche! What i was trying to say was that if you drive a fast car and make it faster then you will also require better brakes (or at least brakes in good order). All to often people make their cars go faster and faster and don't bother with the brakes.....two weeks later they wrap it round a tree on a left hand bend! Why?? Because they couldn't stop or the car pulls slightly left on hard braking!

Bottom line...ensure your brakes are in good order! If you have a few bob floating about then uprate them!! It will just mean that all that extra power can be reighned in when you need to ;)

jdavis
Friday 24th July 2009, 16:14
where do you guys move the horns to?

thebadger
Friday 24th July 2009, 16:17
Behind the bumper is the usuall spot...

C70Dan
Friday 24th July 2009, 19:20
Don't even consider PPC remap until you have done the basics..ie:

Oil service, air filters (get a K+N panel), New plugs. Also it is vital you ensure your brakes are in impeccable order. All those extra horses means you need better brakes or your braking distance will increase quite a lot. Do a complete brake fluid flush and replace with dot 5.1 or fully synthetic. Personally i would fit new front discs and pads, OE all the way.

Then...and only then will you be ready to PPC upgrade.

The difference is awesome!! It puts a brilliant smile on yer face..guaranteed!

If you haven't already, fit a Volvo front strut brace. There only £70 and will elliminate all the torque steer that you get in a FWD car. One of the best mods i ever did on my old T5:smile:

Then get the PPC. You can either get it from RICA or BSR. Personally i chose BSR because two reasons. 1) Price 2) RICA aftersales is terrible. They are both the same and with almost identical stats. However, everyone is forgetting one major thing! The Figures quoted will not be achieved on a standard exhaust! Therefore you are looking at more like £700 without Vat!

For the record i payed £695 for a stage II BSR PPC upgrade and BSR dual exhaust inc fitting. Add the VAT and it's £800! The PPC bit is done after the exhaust and takes about 5 minutes...this can be done yourself so no charge there. Then you gotta start the car, let it idle for about 15 minutes to warm up and let the ECU relearn the new parameters (with the new exhaust comes little to no back pressure).
Then your off....and by golly, are you off!!! :jaw: Believe me it's worth every penny..all day, every day. Hell, i even save money because i am definately getting better miles to the gallon.

An extra 60bhp and 100nm torque is enough. My heavy ass AWD R pulls like a train and changes gear sooner going up. I drove down to Devon last month and i got an extra 50 miles out the tank easy. Like everyone says, you get what you pay for. I advise against sending your ecu away for a cheap upgrade. If it goes wrong your car won't work and your stuck. If the PPC fails then you just remove it and reprogramme back to stock.

Enough said.

Thanks for your help and time writing this. I've already done the oil change and new plugs so I can cross it of my list. I saw a S60 D5 today with the BRS sticker on the back, I wanted to stop him and ask him about the difference, bit sad really.

I was telling the handbrake about sorting mine out and showed her the D5, as they always do she pointed out that the S60 was an 06 reg and was worth spending on, instead of my £2000 c70. I hate to admit it but she is probably right. I'd be spending nearly half the cars value on mods when it might be a better idea to get shut and get one that's already done. She'd probably be worth spending on, if I new she'd soldier on for a good few more years, but she might be in the big scrapyard in the sky in a couple of years.

don't know what to do now, stupid sensible women!

C70Dan
Friday 24th July 2009, 19:27
Just do it, you won't regret it!

If I had your car I definetly would! Do you fancy swapping? It's going to be a really cold winter and you'd be miles better off with a proper roof. I'm doing you a favour. lol

AlanG
Friday 24th July 2009, 19:35
[QUOTE} she might be in the big scrapyard in the sky in a couple of years.

No chance of that unless you kill it yourself mate. Mine is 13 years old,not a spec of rust anywhere and as fit as a fiddle. Had it mapped and MBC at 121k and is faultless in every way. Maybe you should release the handbrake!!:ready2go:

C70Dan
Friday 24th July 2009, 19:38
[QUOTE} she might be in the big scrapyard in the sky in a couple of years.

No chance of that unless you kill it yourself mate. Mine is 13 years old,not a spec of rust anywhere and as fit as a fiddle. Had it mapped and MBC at 121k and is faultless in every way. Maybe you should release the handbrake!!:ready2go:

you can try if you're brave enough, lol

Mine has got a bit bubbling through at the top edge of the drivers door, not right chipper about that!

AlanG
Friday 24th July 2009, 19:46
That's unheard of bud,has it been repaired in the past?

LeeT5
Saturday 25th July 2009, 01:53
you can try if you're brave enough, lol

Mine has got a bit bubbling through at the top edge of the drivers door, not right chipper about that!

Volvo doors don't rust! Period. If yours is then something isn't right. It must have been repaired before and a bad one at that.

Like matey says...you will never scrap it unless you crash it, blow it up or all the above. If you maintain it regularly then it will keep on rocking.....and keep on rocking.....and keep on rocking! (Get my drift?)

If you like the car then spend the money on it. You could get a Ferrita exhaust, BSR remap, Xenon lights, lower the suspension and renew the shocks for a knatts ££££ over a grand! Getting a S60 D5:smirk: is not a bad thing but at the end of the day why spend all that hard earned dosh when you really don't need too?

Also Diesel is more expensive than petrol, smelly, noisey and if they break down....god forbid..they are sooooo expensive to repair.

As for asking the bloke about how good his D5 was, you needn't worry. just click the link and see the stats yourself.

http://en.bsr.se/products/

You just gotta do it man! Oh yeah. One more thing. Your local dealer may do RICA ppc. Don't go there. They will absolutely rip you off. My local (no names mentioned) wanted £600 just to install the PPC remap! LOL. Dealers have BIG windows for one reason. They like to see us coming...and don't they know it!

Speak to Stuart at SW Autos for BSR or Russ at R T Mechanics....to name a couple.