PDA

View Full Version : Bugger-hesitation and dark smoke on boost

Rob S
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 20:14
Evening gents,
Just a couple of quick questions......
1. The car began hesitating under load tonight, and I noticed it would nt achieve full (uprated) boost levels, and when I persisted and tried to see if it would clear, under what was left of the boost, started blowing out dark smoke.
I've since let the car cool down, and found the oil level appears normal, the coolant seems fine.
I have noticed that the underside of the intercooler rubber pipe that runs over the head from the front to the back of the engine bay, is badly worn and may even have a split in it. Could this split pipe cause the symptoms as described?
2. The car is a daily driver, will using it gently cause grave problems (If the pipe is the problems)? I've driven it for a couple of miles off boost and you would nt know there is a problem.

To add insult to injury, its blown oil/soot all over the front of my freshly painted track day car:slap:

Thanks in anticipation

Tomcat
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 20:20
If you have a split in the intercooler pipe then yes that could be your fault, it will be loosing air when on boost, this will make the car run rich (hence the black smoke). Should be ok to drive it like this if you try and stay off boost, however I'd get it fixed asap, you don't want to clog up your o2 sensor in the exhaust otherwise that will have to be replaced too.

irf
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 20:20
classic boost leak.

AlanG
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 20:27
What TC said.........

Rob S
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 21:03
Thanks guys, update to follow

Rob S
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 17:28
Just a quick update, the car ran as before today, and when I got to work today, blipping the throttle revealed a split in the hose as hoped for. I've got two different ones on order, as my local Volvo stockist were a little unsure which one I meant. (The joys of having an engine newer than the car I suppose!) Fingers crossed this time tomorrow it'll be back to boost:rice:

AlanG
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 17:50
Good stuff Rob,don't want to be embarrassed by some oil burning tractor because of a leak,now do you?:funkybana

Rob S
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 19:29
You Sir are a wind up merchant!! PMSL

AlanG
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 19:38
One does one's best.........:fart:

Rob S
Friday 24th July 2009, 20:52
The bloody dealer managed to order two hoses and they were both wrong!
They've told me the one I want has to come from Sweden and it won't be here till Wednesday.
How hard can it be?
The only reason I did nt go through Rufe or similar was I wanted it the same day- bugger!

AlanG
Friday 24th July 2009, 21:23
:pants: My friend......

Jod T5
Sunday 26th July 2009, 23:45
Hi
Your pipework over the cam cover should be metal...
If you have a leak in the charged circuit then yes this will cause issues...
I would also check the inlet manifold elbow, (behind pas pump) for leakage...
jod

AlanG
Sunday 26th July 2009, 23:54
jod[/QUOTE]

I've developed a deep hatred for that little b*****d!:hbomb:

Jod T5
Monday 27th July 2009, 00:00
jod

I've developed a deep hatred for that little b*****d!:hbomb:

This is the problem, its location means it is often neglected...
Jod

AlanG
Monday 27th July 2009, 00:03
Ahhh! But i conquered it..........I found the zero cost repair..:smileypul

volvoturboman
Monday 27th July 2009, 01:44
Ahhh! But i conquered it..........I found the zero cost repair..:smileypul

And that would be?:help:

AlanG
Monday 27th July 2009, 03:04
And that would be?:help:

Do a search........"The usual suspect" It's all on there,step by step....:wiggle:

Rob S
Thursday 30th July 2009, 17:02
After plenty of messing around with the dealer, the correct part arrived, and fitted perfectly (As you'd hope for a Volvo part)
Strange thing was, the dealer said it had to come from Sweden, but when it arrived the sticker on the pipe said Made in the UK, and the actual printed text on the pipes rubber said Made in Italy.:rolling_e So maybe they did nt know where it was coming from.

Anyway, the old one had an external split of about an inch, and internally about 2 inches was split, so it really had gone past its sell by date.

I've mixed feelings now, firstly good because the old girl goes better than ever, off the gauge and up the road like a missile, but slightly concerned about the next hose as this was by far the most accesible.
Oh well, plan for the worst and hope for the best!

AlanG
Thursday 30th July 2009, 21:38
Be fine mate,the worst one to access is the one at the timing end of the fanimold. All others are a 5 min job providing you have the replacement pipe......