PDA

View Full Version : Knock/Twang from the front suspension ?

cornclose
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 08:55
Chaps,

A few weeks ago I had some work done to my V70, and everything has been absolutely brilliant since, but just the other day I started to hear what I can only describe as a slight creak/twang from the front when maneuvering at low speeds. It is only slight, and is not the kind of creak you would associate with a knackered drop link. For example, it happens when the road is totally smooth, so it is not happening as a result of going over a bump. It also happens far more readily when the car is warmed thoroughly, when cold I havn't noticed it at all (yet). There are also multiple creaks/twangs (very slight) as I turn the wheel, so it's not just one. Sounds like something is 'giving' as the wheels turn, and well before full lock. I can also sometimes feel the creaks through the steering wheel, again, only slightly.

It happens a lot more when turning right rather than left, I guess that means the problem is on one side rather than the other. It's difficult to tell, but it sounds like it's coming from the right (drivers) side but that could be just because it's where I'm sat!

Now, the things I had done a few weeks ago are :-

New front springs and shocks.
New top mounts.
New spring seats.
New powerflexed front wishbones.
New ball joints.
New lock stops.
Uprated IPD drop links.

I think that's it lol. I also have the Ultra Racing strut bar on there too, which I had had fitted for many weeks before the above work without any ill effects, so I don't think that's got anything to do with it.

Any ideas as to what it could be ? Could it be something that needs tightening up now it's bedded in ? Or could it be something that's fitted that is failing/failed (already!).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.... I have given as much info as possible, hope I'm not waffling on too much... :wiggle:

thebadger
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 09:03
Unseated spring mate.

Happens if the car has been hoisted & dropped again, the spring shifts just slightly & gets contact with the side of the pillar.

My car has developed this just now, but it's due to go back & get the powerflex bushes on the wishbones.

cornclose
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 09:05
Right - will have to have a poke around under there... It's going back on Friday (for other things entirely, I'll have a new car before long...lol) and I've asked them to have a look.

thebadger
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 09:09
I think the best way to prevent these knocks is to wrap the springs, but it would be a fire hazard & probably not work.

I hate to have to suggest this, but have you checked the droplinks?

Intermittent knocking usually comes down to them! (and yes I know it's IPD uprated ones you've just fitted!)

Could have been a duff one. Others have had one go on speedbumps!

cornclose
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 09:14
Yes, I have checked the drop links by trying to see if there is any play/mechanical noise when moving them - they're pretty solid though.

Spring unseated it may very well be, it certianly sounds like a rubber on a spring noise.

thebadger
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 09:22
It won't be rubber, it'll be the housing over the spring as it dissapears into the pillar... (there's an ABS plastic cover usually!)

cornclose
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 09:24
That's the one I meant!

[EDIT] Actually I'm not sure it is. Do you mean one of these (http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_532&products_id=3170) ?

thebadger
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 09:28
I't happened to me after I had the springs fitted, so I knew about it prior to the FSD's.

I'm now kacking it over the nivomat/non nivomat mounts! But having looked at them... they look just the same?

Surely the nivomat ones would be tougher?

cornclose
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 09:33
Not sure exactly what went on - all I know is the Volvo kit which came with Nivo's also had new rear top mounts for the Nivo's, so my assumption is that they're different to standard rear mounts...

thebadger
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 09:41
The spring seats are the same, but the Nivo's mount "plates" are different. Don't know how much tho as the car is fine & is handling well.

Could be that they need a different shape to accomodate the pipework for the nivos.

If that's all it is... sod it!

v70torslanda
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 22:28
I think this is from your front springs. When we changed the shox on mine we found that the bottom coil of the front spring was covered by a polythene sleeve just where the coil lifts away from the spring seat. This sleeve prevents the clanging you are hearing. It has probably come away from the spring - we had to zip-tie mine back on. It won't be long until your springs have 'muddied-up' (if they're new).

J

cornclose
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 00:18
Another option to look at - thanks John.

Although I didn't get this phenomenon before, it's crept in over a period of a few weeks. They'll be muddier now than they've ever been...

thebadger
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 14:47
The spring seat on the strut is usually to blame for front springs moving, the rubber won't leave a knocking, but that big metal plate will!

I have it bad on the drivers front.

Gonna ask my spanners to check it wen it's back in.

Chris, did you get the front & rear W/B bushes done (front wheels here), or just the front set?

I'm considering waiting, getting the £92 rears & some new DL's do the whole shed at once!

cornclose
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 18:22
I got exchange wishbones from John (V70Torslanda). The front were polybushed (powerflex I think) and the rear were stock Volvo ones. Although the rear bushes wern't new, they looked pretty close to it...

cornclose
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 20:20
Just to add, it hasn't been creaking at all today.... Sods law...

thebadger
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 23:50
It invariably does! I'm guessing that the powerflex rear bushes are that dear for a reason?

I dunno though. It may be a good purchase!