PDA

View Full Version : FSD's

thebadger
Monday 20th July 2009, 14:01
Hi guys,

As I'm sure some of you will know, I finally got some FSD's fitted last week to my 2001 (Y) V70 T5.

Can I start by saying.. wow, I did not believe my car could feel that different!

I am now going to have to blow a whole load of fuel on getting to know her all over again! The change is really that dramatic. I have been taking large roundabouts (in a stated 40 zone) at 40MPH, and I do believe it could potentially go quicker.

I am almost scared of the grip that she now has! I also know now (cos I can feel it through the suspension) that she really needs two new rear tyres. I will sort this just shortly (money's tight from the costs of getting this done) and I also need to get the powerflex wishbone bushes fitted (they came just too late!) and may try & get new ball joints too!

Anyways, some points.

1. It was worth the money as the car is a whole new thing again & realistically I would have needed a new car to get that much of a change!

2. The Koni struts do NOT replace the whole shock! The fronts have to be cut (with a hack saw!) & emptied, then drilled & then you fit the new piston into the old casing! (my spanners nearly freaked when I told him what was needed! He did not feel confident at all! But I think he enjoyed the new practical lesson!)

3. The rear shocks on the car must be made from pig iron (original ones) as the car has now dropped (not a joke) about 2.5" which is really something I didn't expect! It already had lowering springs on, which lowered it about 20mm, but now the arse is really scraping the deck! (I like it! It now looks even for a change!)

4. I am now worried that I'm getting inner top rub on my front wheels, tho I have yet to prove this as I've only heard a slight noise twice & for less than 1 second at under 30mph. I do have spacers on the front to try & eliminate inner arch rub... so I may have to rethink this one! (crap!)

YES I WILL POST PICTURES BUT I'M IN WORK!

This should be on tonight.

Any questions, just ask!

Oh, also did my TCV hoses & BCS/TCV for an uprated on/silicone hoses! :)

All good.....

richiemat
Monday 20th July 2009, 14:56
sounds good, get some pictures up lol

Nigel T5
Monday 20th July 2009, 16:21
Errr going to be stupid here! what the hell are 'FSD's'

thebadger
Monday 20th July 2009, 16:25
Koni Frequency Sensetive Dampers (shock absorbers to you & me).

Fancy efforts that cost a bit, but are not any more expensive than a self adjust system from Koni or Blisten.

Nigel T5
Tuesday 21st July 2009, 08:29
oh!

v70torslanda
Tuesday 21st July 2009, 20:03
Quick question fella.

Did your rear shocks have rubber boots on them, like steering rack gaiters? If they did then that explains why the back end dropped so radically. You've removed the Nivomats.

Hope you weren't planning on towing stuff. . .

j

cornclose
Tuesday 21st July 2009, 20:06
That was a worry for me when I had the Volvo kit fitted with Nivo's on the rear. However, it hasn't got any higher at all! I fact it's about 5mm lower than it was on the standard T5 setup (without Nivo's), but it isn't really that noticable. I'm pleased with that however!

thebadger
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 00:26
But don't nivomats have pipes attached to them?

These ones are just solid!

If it was Nivos, then I need new seats don't I?

cornclose
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 08:23
If it was Nivos, then I need new seats don't I?

Yes, the top mounts/seats are different.

thebadger
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 09:04
Crap. Need to talk to my mechanic then!

v70torslanda
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 22:16
But don't nivomats have pipes attached to them?

Nivomats are self contained, self levelling shock absorbers. Unlike the Citroen or Audi or Mercedes (etc) systems which reply on a hydraulic pump and load sensing valves they use the movement of the suspension to pump themselves up to the correct ride height.

Top mounts for Nivos are stronger cos the shocker lifts the car. What works with Nivos works with standard shox but the standard top mounts won't do if you fit Nivomats.

thebadger
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 23:21
Phew!

Felt a bill coming on there!

Cheers Mate!

Still kicks ass now it looks level!

v70torslanda
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 00:06
PICTURES! Dammit! Pictures!

J

thebadger
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 08:06
Need to clean her, I've mostly been spanking it & the breaks make the alloys look like they are anthracite.

I took a before & after shot from the window (while it was clean) I will post them up tonight.

RobbieH
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 13:18
I didn't think you could fit lowering springs to Nivo's?

Oh and
:worthless

:uglyhamme get 'em up, we need to see.

Filterlab
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 13:48
Dammit Badger, where are the pictures man?!

thebadger
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 14:04
I'm in work, what can I do!

I'll sort it tonight.

The springs are fine... the back end was lowerd just a touch from the springs, but it fell about 2" with the konis! How shocked was I!

The mounts are different, but the spring mounts are the same.

thebadger
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 22:03
ok, some pics!
Before.... and we then added...
To get...
Ta da! See, pics!
That's what came out.. Nivomats!
One of my favorites I have in my album looks just like that one.
Before at the back
After!

cornclose
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 22:08
That last one looks about the same as mine, with Nivomats! Actually it's probably a little higher than that, but certainly nowhere near your 'before' picture!

thebadger
Thursday 23rd July 2009, 22:25

More...

I had the car on a slope, so the side shots were not fair on it!

There's a couple of the car on a concrete bay...

richiemat
Friday 24th July 2009, 10:38
thebadger that looks great i'm liking the colour co-ordinated trims. What exhaust is that?

thebadger
Friday 24th July 2009, 10:45
Cheers buddy, the bumpers look a state tho, I think it was resprayed by a Mr. S. Wonder? The exhaust is a ferrita system. Has a nice tone!

If you do get your own trims done, seek out a pro & get a guarentee!

richiemat
Friday 24th July 2009, 10:49
.. resprayed by a Mr. S. Wonder? The exhaust is a ferrita system. Has a nice tone!

If you do get your own trims done, seek out a pro & get a guarentee!

lol

my pet hate is car park dings and painted trims mark easily (as i know from my S60) so i probably wont go down that route on my V70...one less headache :)

Hmm got me thinking about the ferrita exhaust though and a K&N air panel filter jobby :wiggle:

thebadger
Friday 24th July 2009, 10:54
The exhaust is awesome! Good to have a filter too & do the "splash" guard.

mikouk
Friday 24th July 2009, 11:03
The exhaust is awesome!

The car looks great mate. The colour looks amazing, must be a bugger to keep clean though like my black one.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the exhaust?
Cheers
Mark

thebadger
Friday 24th July 2009, 11:07
Not a clue... came on the buggy when I bought her!

Was a good selling point! Getting her mapped seemd the thing to do next, you know, exhaust, filter, engine ok!

cornclose
Friday 24th July 2009, 12:55
How does it sound (the exhaust) ? Is it loud/noisy. Does it boom or resonate at certain rpms ? I want a nice stainless system myself, it's next on the list after my brakes upgrade (shortly!).

But I don't want something that wakes the neighbours or sounds chavvy. It has to be refined, and make a nice quiet burble in normal driving, but make a nice note under moderate (or more) accelleration. Is there such a thing ?

thebadger
Friday 24th July 2009, 13:01
It's quite quiet at idle, & subtle in normal driving, but it's got a throaty noise when you poke it a bit!

cornclose
Friday 24th July 2009, 13:07
It's quite quiet at idle, & subtle in normal driving, but it's got a throaty noise when you poke it a bit!

This post is useless without an audio recording!! :hilarious

But seriously, have you ever recorded it whilst driving (from the inside) ?

thebadger
Friday 24th July 2009, 13:14
No, I like having my licence & both hands on the wheel...

I'll TRY (no promises) and sort something at the weekend!

It has a nice note tho. What brakes are being considered? Is it bigger ones? Or are we going drilled & grooved?

dave stew
Friday 24th July 2009, 13:26

Oh Matron!!!

thebadger
Friday 24th July 2009, 13:28
Yeah, not quite screaming, but a good moan!

dave stew
Friday 24th July 2009, 13:37
Sounds like my wife when I get in the house late and drunk...

thebadger
Friday 24th July 2009, 14:01
I dunno, I've had the windows rattling at startup, also I've noticed a good "tone" at 2500-3000 revs, but this may just be the cabin noise from the poly mount!

I'm convinced that a good exhaust pays for itself by outlasting a standard one.

My last car had a hole in the exhaust & duffed droplinks while I had it.

I replaced all the droplinks on my volvo & have had zero issues from the exhaust!

I have had greif from the engine on the volvo, but to a minimum & not as tragic as it might have been!

cornclose
Friday 24th July 2009, 14:23
No, I like having my licence & both hands on the wheel...

I'll TRY (no promises) and sort something at the weekend!

It has a nice note tho. What brakes are being considered? Is it bigger ones? Or are we going drilled & grooved?

Cheers.

Brakes ? Not sure yet, most likely will stick with standard Volvo discs (either use the ones already fitted or fit new ones) and some uprated pads, because the brakes lack feel and don't have enough stopping power at the moment. Fluid was changed a few months ago.

I'm tempted to try some Ferodo DS2500's all round, or failing that, some EBC YellowStuff's.

thebadger
Friday 24th July 2009, 14:48
I have considered getting some black diamond discs when I need them changed, but have yet to decide on drilled, grooved or both.

But that's next years big project!

The standard discs are pretty good! I have an ex plod & had to get special pads with a wear sensor? I think it has been switched off by mr plod anyhow... so I feel it was a waste!

I wonder if having the suspension done has improved my braking or not.

cornclose
Friday 24th July 2009, 14:51
The suspension has certainly improved the traction on mine - very little STC now, when before it came on in most circumstances. I think it has improved braking too, but not much. I've come to the conclusion that my pads are crap - the discs actually look fine. No idea what's on there, perhaps not even Volvo pads, but they were on when I got the car near on 20,000 miles ago, so it's time they were taken off!

thebadger
Friday 24th July 2009, 14:58
My car didn't like the wet roads the other night, initial "move off" was slow, but it fair flew once it got going.

I put a lot of this down to a combo of DSTC vs The FSD's bouncing the wheels. (my front tyres are about a month old!)

I hope this settles or I'll be taking the brave pills every time & disengaging the DSTC!