PDA

View Full Version : ITG Panel Filter v Simota Carbon Charger Intake

paulsimon
Saturday 18th July 2009, 23:34
Does anyone know which of the above give the best performance?

Thanks

Tomcat
Saturday 18th July 2009, 23:40
Think it's probably a subjective thing, all depends on which takes your fancy really.

AlanG
Saturday 18th July 2009, 23:51
K&N panel and no complaints.

p fandango
Sunday 19th July 2009, 01:17
if you are going to re-design the whole intake pipe with it then i'd go with the Simota. I used to use a Pipercross Viper which is a sealed intake, altho it was only on par with a normal Pipercross cone both freed up the revs noticably

PaulZX
Sunday 19th July 2009, 12:13
I've ditched my intake pipe and put the airbox back on. Recovered the lost fuel consumption. Happy me.

I'd dropped to 13 mpg, and figuring that was unlucky, I put the old airbox back on, and hey presto, back up to 25mpg..... she was running lumpy as hell, like she had a mahoosive air leak, and now she ticks over lovely.

I'm getting a panel filter in the near future, not gonna bother with induction kits, Volvo made a pretty good system themselves.....

p fandango
Sunday 19th July 2009, 12:45
I've ditched my intake pipe and put the airbox back on. Recovered the lost fuel consumption. Happy me.

I'd dropped to 13 mpg, and figuring that was unlucky, I put the old airbox back on, and hey presto, back up to 25mpg..... she was running lumpy as hell, like she had a mahoosive air leak, and now she ticks over lovely.

I'm getting a panel filter in the near future, not gonna bother with induction kits, Volvo made a pretty good system themselves.....
thats because the MAF pipe is enlarged & confusing the ECU, it does get used to it. Can i have it back now then :biggrin: lol

PaulZX
Sunday 19th July 2009, 14:03
by all means mate, and thanks for the lend....

I tried it for two weeks, and to be honest, it was getting worse.

example: I went from mine to canley, to town, back to canley, and home, drilled a tenner of 99ron.

I killed £30 of fuel in 45 miles, driving like my Mum.

p fandango
Sunday 19th July 2009, 17:23

example: I went from mine to canley, to town, back to canley, and home, drilled a tenner of 99ron.

i'm surprised at that, mine took to it quite well & very settled. I can't remember about the mpg, but i've removed the trip computer now so i don't mind lol

t5_carl
Sunday 19th July 2009, 21:35

totally agree with that, ive fitted a induction kit, apart from the using loads of more fuel, made no difference!back to the air box, looks neater to...

p fandango
Sunday 19th July 2009, 22:06
totally agree with that, ive fitted a induction kit, apart from the using loads of more fuel, made no difference!back to the air box, looks neater to...
what kit were you using?

the reason FFM's car/ECU didn't like the induction kit is because it was one i've made myself & is a big change from the factory spec, the whole pipework to the turbo has been enlarged & has an integrated MAF sensor. For some reason his ECU couldn't adapt/configure itself to the intake pipe/filter, my own car has no problems with it. I've used many off the shelf induction kits & even with the worst noticed a slight increase in the revs, & managed 30mpg average using a Pipercross until i changed to my own design

t5_carl
Monday 20th July 2009, 02:21
not sure what make it was, it was off a friends T5, it doesn't feel any different noise, or power wise, now the trip has gone to 17.5mpg!airbox back on:D

p fandango
Monday 20th July 2009, 02:31
not sure what make it was, it was off a friends T5, it doesn't feel any different noise, or power wise, now the trip has gone to 17.5mpg!airbox back on:D
no noise difference either, you sure it weren't blocked lol

HADI
Monday 20th July 2009, 10:25
just put a itg filter on mine, im sure there site says it should improve mpg, mines when i got car was 17 mpg:jaw: due to faulty front 02 sensor when i got it sorted it went up to 28 mpg which im more than happy with as my S70R auto sat at 22 mpg all the time with exact set up as my V70R which is a manual

t5_carl
Monday 20th July 2009, 12:51
no noise difference either, you sure it weren't blocked lol

lol,no,bonnet was closed though, its like a sound proof room:B_thumb:

p fandango
Monday 20th July 2009, 14:12
lol,no,bonnet was closed though, its like a sound proof room:B_thumb:
ah that can easily be solved if you remove the bonnet lining & vent the scuttle panel lol

AlanG
Monday 20th July 2009, 14:16
So you've still got the bonnet then????:biggrin:

Filterlab
Monday 20th July 2009, 14:26
I've had the opposite effect with my sealed intake system. It's definitely made a big difference on performance - easier revving, smoother running - but it's also made the car even more frugal. Seriously, I put £50 in about every three weeks and that's a small improvement on the £50 I was putting it every two and a half weeks. :) Plus there's a little growl from the engine when it's under accelaration load and an occasional intake whoosh when revving. Also I can hear the stock dump valve whoosh (a little bit) and the turbo whistle too.

I couldn't mount the intake exactly how I wanted it due to the diameter of the air filter chamber so I popped it into the same position as the airbox. It's a bit of a twist and turn for the air to travel down but way better than the stock airbox and filter.

My ECU sorted it all out in a matter of seconds.

p fandango
Monday 20th July 2009, 14:44
So you've still got the bonnet then????:biggrin:
its optional lol

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/3209/picture001xyr.jpg

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/338/picture002tyk.jpg

AlanG
Monday 20th July 2009, 17:00
I knew I'd regret asking that.....:rolleyes:

p fandango
Monday 20th July 2009, 17:42
I knew I'd regret asking that.....:rolleyes:
well Volvo made the mistake of bolting the hinges on, if they'd of welded them they might still be there lol

t5_carl
Tuesday 21st July 2009, 15:08
haha, thats one HUGE cooler, good effort!ive moved the horns down to the side, was told to removed the the bonnet insulation, good idea then??

p fandango
Tuesday 21st July 2009, 15:12
haha, thats one HUGE cooler, good effort!
thanks, its the standard one with all the front panel removed from around it

ive moved the horns down to the side, was told to removed the the bonnet insulation, good idea then??
you'll get more noise out of it but thats all, mines been gone years & the paint on the bonnet is still fine