PDA

View Full Version : Confused about brake disc sizes

MartinK
Saturday 18th July 2009, 08:21
My front brembo discs and ferodo pads need replacing. I'm reading mixed messages about what sizes are required.

I've got the receipt for the original fitting in front of me, and it states I have 280mm discs. (There's a part number V60102).

But many other disc manufacturers specify 302mm discs for a 2001 C70 2.3 T5.

So are they wrong? Or was 2001 a strange year? Or did some special jiggery-pokery have to be done to fit the brembos? Or are the calipers mounted on some kind of variable-fit system that can be adjusted for either?

The reason I ask is I'm now wondering whether to go 302mm.

T5R+
Saturday 18th July 2009, 08:56
Do you want the 15minute perfect answer?

Whip off the wheel and caliper across - no confusion then.

This is just what I did last week on my S60 and this morning am picking up 4x new discs plus entire new set of pads from Volvo for the princely sum of £122+VAT.

MartinK
Saturday 18th July 2009, 09:10
Do you want the 15minute perfect answer?

Whip off the wheel

with you so far....

and caliper across

Not sure quite what you mean there. Are you suggesting it is possible to slide/adjust the caliper to accommodate a larger disc? Forgive me, I'm not a mechanic, and although taking a wheel off is no problem, I don't want to be touching the brakes myself.

- no confusion then.

This is just what I did last week on my S60 and this morning am picking up 4x new discs plus entire new set of pads from Volvo for the princely sum of £122+VAT.

I won't be going with Volvo pads again. I found them to fade terribly. Sounds like a good price you got, though.

Okete
Saturday 18th July 2009, 09:30
Good morning Martin,

I think T5R was referring to a set of measuring callipers as opposed to the callipers that retain your brake pads!!

p fandango
Saturday 18th July 2009, 09:31
the C70 came with both 280's or 302's, just depends which they picked up & decided to fit

if you are on 280's then yes you can easily upgrade to 302's, you'll need the caliper spacers off a 302 car (Salvo or PM Rufe) & the longer brake hoses. The calipers are the same

Yosser
Saturday 18th July 2009, 09:39
This might help:

EDIT: the popup of the attachment isn't very clear, it's better here: http://forums.t5d5.org/index.php?showtopic=3381

MartinK
Saturday 18th July 2009, 11:55
Thanks, all

The two characters on the VIN plate are 'M6', so smaller disks are confirmed :-)

Rufe's profile is saying he's on holiday a lot this month. It sounds like the spacer is a genuine Volvo part though.

This might be a good time to go for braided hoses, too.

Rob_ioClean
Saturday 18th July 2009, 12:00
I'd be tempted to measure them mate, My C70 is 99, and has 302mm, 98-99 was the transition year apparently from what I have read.

p fandango
Saturday 18th July 2009, 12:03
Rufe's profile is saying he's on holiday a lot this month. It sounds like the spacer is a genuine Volvo part though.
yeh they are Volvo parts, i paid £50 for a second hand pair from Salvo but got the feeling Rufe can now supply them cheaper than that (might be an exchange for your old spacers tho)

Wombatbomb
Saturday 18th July 2009, 14:16
I'd be tempted to measure them mate, My C70 is 99, and has 302mm, 98-99 was the transition year apparently from what I have read.

Errrrr.......nope. There is no such thing as a transition date for the brake discs, they were still fitting 280mm to cars in 2002 at least.