PDA

View Full Version : V70 classic braking issues

sebasteeno
Friday 17th July 2009, 16:06
Just got home with my new 98 2.5T V70 and its got a braking problem. Its got brand new discs and pads on the front which dont even look bedded in tbh so i was taking it gently. Anyway when i have to do anything over moderate braking there is like a revolving scrape/sort of bang coming from the front that gets bigger and louder as i slow. At first i thought warped discs but this sounds like its coming from under the engine/near side wheel though i could be mistaken and the brakes seem to be lacking too. Its like they take hold then let go continuously.

Any ideas?

Porcine_Aviator
Friday 17th July 2009, 16:14
That sounds like an ABS problem.

sebasteeno
Friday 17th July 2009, 16:23
That sounds like an ABS problem.
The ABS light isnt on though. Am i right in thinking that If i took the fuse out for the ABS to stop it working i should be able tell?

And without the ABS fuse in the judders gone so we know where the problem is then.

Is it safe to run it without the ABS on till i get it sorted? The ABS fuse also does the STC and TRACS bt my car doesnt have these.

sebasteeno
Friday 17th July 2009, 18:48
After driving the car again the judder is there only lesser now which is making me think the ABS problem has fecked the new discs.

Possible?

Porcine_Aviator
Saturday 18th July 2009, 00:17
I can't say, but I would get it in to someone who knows more about these things. One thing I always insist on with any car I own is that the brakes work, even if that means new discs and pads.

So I'm not going to say run it for a while until you get it fixed.

Don't risk it, I'd rather have put off getting a factory fitted leaking shower bar fixed than put off doing the things that stop me.

Been there done that put Rover 2000 in scrapyard because the brakes failed, due to leaving them to long with a fault.

nobananas
Saturday 18th July 2009, 10:38
Have you checked your inner track control arm bushes and balljoints ?. The bushes in particular cause the exact same symptoms as a warped disc, the bushes tear away from the inner sleeves and then the arm hammers back and forth under braking. Check them carefully because I've had mine go through an MOT before with the bushes totally shot, but with the car jacked up and the suspension hanging loading up the bushes there was no movement apparent. Another thought, did you clean up the flange thoroughly before mounting the discs as any rust or muck trapped between the flange and the disc will also make the discs run out of true.

sebasteeno
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 10:13
Well after more driving it seems the juddering is coming from the rear brakes and not where i first thought. Both discs are shot tbh with the O/S one being majorly rusty with only about a third of it shiny.
Hers a pic.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk145/sebasteeno/My%20new%20Volvo%20V70/IMG_1122.jpg
So ill be ordering new discs and pads and getting the calipers looked at too. Hopefully that'll sort it.

thebadger
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 10:38
I had an issue with my hand brake not operating properly.

The long & short of it was that one of the shoes had seized & as such had caused the rear brakes to not fully contact the discs.

Basically I had no RW brakes or HB! Cost about £100 to get new fittings & shoes for the HB & that sorted it all!

Quality!

Just a thought, but has the fluid been done? Could be an air bubble...