PDA

View Full Version : Protect Turbo - Bakup Res. Anyone fitted this?

Nico20V
Friday 17th July 2009, 12:54
Hi all. I've read a few posts about the pitfalls of not letting your turbo run after parking up to remove the hot oil from it. I'm thinking since I'm getting it mapped at the wknd that i should be paying more attention to these warnings. On that vein, have any of you experience of running with this kind of kit?

http://www.agriemach.com/htmlarea/uploaded-files//Turbo%20Guard%20Explained.pdf

walter leever
Friday 17th July 2009, 12:58
Another possibillity would be to buy a turbo-timer,this will let the engine run for specific(set)time after you shut it of.

p fandango
Saturday 18th July 2009, 08:10
i used to have a turbo timer & was very usefull if in a hurry, you could just leave it running & lock it up (really used to confuse some people who i parked near-by lol). Your best bet normally is drive slowly for the last mile or so of your journey & turn the engine off last

nobananas
Saturday 18th July 2009, 10:29
Only problem with a turbo timer is they are fine to use when you park your motor on your own driveway or property but it is illegal to leave a running vehicle unattended on a public road. Luckily I live in the middle of a town so the last mile or so of any journey is at 10 miles an hour !

jdavis
Saturday 18th July 2009, 12:46
as said above, just take it steady for the last mile or so, or leaving it ticking over for 30 seconds or so, just to make sure it's cooled/stopped spinning.
might take a little while longer than 30 seconds if it's glowing orange - lol!

dooby
Tuesday 21st July 2009, 22:10
I've only had a quick look at the diagram but I can't see how it's going to work, I keep thinking it'd need at least 2 connections, in and out.

Don't think it's something worth shelling out for - don't forget our Mitsubishi turbos are also water cooled, so the convection effect of the water continues to help cool the turbo after the engine's stopped.

Probably best off taking it easy for the last few miles as others have suggested.

HTH, Pete

AlanG
Tuesday 21st July 2009, 22:30
You could adopt my policy of never breaking the speed limit and competing with yourself to see how many miles you can squeeze from a gallon........5th gear at 25mph etc..It's most gratifying and you have the comforting reassurance that you are doing your bit to save the environment hence a great night's sleep.............Gives an enormous sense of well-being.......:haha: