PDA

View Full Version : clicking noise when putting power down

uzyg
Thursday 16th July 2009, 14:02
Hi all,

I take it we are all familiar with the common 'clicking' noise when moving off at a low speed coming from the wheels/driveshaft. Been told this is the splines at the end of each driveshaft rubbing against each other (non techie explanation) and can be fixed with some sort of glue/bonding agent (albeit temporarily).

WELL....after taking my s60 for a spin during lunch and around some twisty and hilly areas I can hear the clicking noise has got louder and its also clicking away when I put my foot down say in 3rd at 2-3k revs (so not at low parking speeds). I can’t make out if its coming from the right or left but its definitely coming from the front. The power is being put down and the car is shifting but I can hear the clicking if I have my windows down.

Should I be worried? The noise is almost identical to the spline noise when parking at low speeds.

Anyone else had this problem?

cornclose
Thursday 16th July 2009, 14:07
Never have my windows open at anything other than crawl speeds, and even then not for long. I'm an aircon type of chap you see...

Not sure if you should be worried or not. I heard also that as an alternative to/in addition to loctite on the splines, there are also some bolts from the XC90 which can be used to alleviate the noises. Not sure where I heard this though, so I may have been dreaming.

I can hear a slight click when pulling off slowly with the window down, beyond that, I hear nothing. I'm not worried though.

thebadger
Thursday 16th July 2009, 14:14
When did the box have its last fluid change?

Could be the gears clicking, which sounds louder if the oil to the box is low or dirty.

cornclose
Thursday 16th July 2009, 14:23
Mine's been done twice in the last year.

uzyg
Thursday 16th July 2009, 14:51
When did the box have its last fluid change?

Could be the gears clicking, which sounds louder if the oil to the box is low or dirty.

I take it your referring to gearbox fluid/oil? Its a manual gearbox but havent got a clue when it was last changed. May well look into this.

Also came across this thread (hope its ok to post) as it may be the answer to my problems.... The XC90 bolts just as cornclose said. LINKY (http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=37630)

dave stew
Thursday 16th July 2009, 20:29
Glad to see its not just me lost in a sea of slushboxes!!

Porcine_Aviator
Thursday 16th July 2009, 20:52
When I saw

"clicking noise when putting power down".

My first thought was check your teeth the power could be making them rattle.

Sorry peepo

uzyg
Friday 17th July 2009, 16:37
haha good one.

Although I'm used to the power now and it doesnt t=give the same 'thrill' as when I first got it. Isnt it fun moving from a 90bhp turbo diesel engine to a 180bhp petrol!? That may also be my problem as I am so used to driving a diesel, I have to force myself to let the petrol rev and do its thing.

It does still suprise me sometimes...prefer driving it with just me in it as it starts to feel rather heavy when passengers jump in.

Suprisingly grippy in the dry around corners...in the wet is another story (probably my tyres though). Need to get the suspension set up and sorted and perhaps in the near future get it chipped/tuned. Just feels like Im spending endless amounts of money every month. A very bad habbit to fall into as you will always find something that needs uprating/changing/tuning...Argh!

AlanG
Friday 17th July 2009, 17:00
This clicking buddy,is it on lock or constant under power?

uzyg
Friday 17th July 2009, 17:10
This clicking buddy,is it on lock or constant under power?

Its clicking when going in a straight line. Both when moving off from standstill and when putting foot down.

Havent got round to looking at the driveshaft bolts yet. The centre caps wont come off the wheels. Anyone have an idea of how to get these off without removing the wheel itself? I have the 17" multi spoke volvo alloys (cant remember name) and tried removing the caps with a knife but they wont budge...cant get anything to fit and pop it out

AlanG
Friday 17th July 2009, 17:27
Seems your probs are two-fold. I would disregard any suggestion that this is a gearbox internal problem. No oil in there as has been suggested would do the bearings first and you would know about it. Could be a worn pot-joint,have seen this before.

cornclose
Friday 17th July 2009, 18:48
Do you mean the Volvo centre caps with the logo on ? Use a sucker off a toy bow and arrow, or something similar that has a sucker on it, like a ladies bath-time-buff-puff thing. My wife has one, works a treat...

thebadger
Saturday 18th July 2009, 11:04
Attacking the car with a mesh shower sponge Chris?

I do hope it's not pink...

Check the tyres, my dad got a new car in the last few weeks, but when we went out for a test drive I heard a really obvious clicking at every stop/start.

There was a large bolt/nail in the N/S rear. Needed a whole new tyre as the bolt (it had a hex head, but a point?) had put such a big hole in the tread!

Just my thoughts!

cornclose
Saturday 18th July 2009, 20:40
Attacking the car with a mesh shower sponge Chris?

I do hope it's not pink...

Camomile I think it is. :bath:

uzyg
Saturday 18th July 2009, 22:13
didnt have any 'sucking' devices, tried henry the hoover...that didnt work so had an einstein moment and used my sat nav/phone car cradle and the fitting of the 'sucker' was a perfect fit for the caps..and they slotted right out!

The driveshaft bolts were on solid though...i was under the impression these came 'loose' and needed replcaing with the xc9 ones...but mine are still on tight.