PDA

View Full Version : lumpy

leet5r
Wednesday 15th July 2009, 10:42
why does my car run lumpy and want to stall when its cold .help needed cheers

Niles
Wednesday 15th July 2009, 11:01
Auot or manual? If its auto the it could be the MAF or the PNP switch. If its manual then the MAf, both could easily be a vacuum pipe or A big air hose leak.

Alan M
Wednesday 15th July 2009, 11:11
The IACVcan cause problems similar to your problem, so its worth checking that also. Make sure the connectors to the sensors are not damaged where the cable enters them from the loom.

leet5r
Wednesday 15th July 2009, 11:14
Auot or manual? If its auto the it could be the MAF or the PNP switch. If its manual then the MAf, both could easily be a vacuum pipe or A big air hose leak.

its a manual m8 its only just started like . its okay wen its warming up and at temp every thing seems fine also the car will not rev past 5.5 revs so was woundering if the air flow meter has gone like. as the engine management light s comes on for a few days then off for a few days . cheers

leet5r
Wednesday 15th July 2009, 11:16
The IACVcan cause problems similar to your problem, so its worth checking that also. Make sure the connectors to the sensors are not damaged where the cable enters them from the loom.

where abouts will this be on the car m8 as am only worked on the old fords lol .cheers

Jod T5
Thursday 16th July 2009, 00:49
where abouts will this be on the car m8 as am only worked on the old fords lol .cheers
http://www.volvoforumsrepairs.org.uk/800Repairs/iac.htm

Jod

leet5r
Thursday 16th July 2009, 12:00

Jod

thanks very help full indeed m8 i shall let you know how i get on lol. cheers lee

leet5r
Saturday 18th July 2009, 12:20

Jod

i have cleaned the idle valve m8 and its still the same . still wants to cut out when its cold . ihave checked all th e boost hoses and all are on and i cant see anything else that would make it run like a bag of ****. its okay once its warm . it runs fine . am deprate now m8 lol

Rob_ioClean
Saturday 18th July 2009, 12:56
Could it be the MAF?

Niles
Saturday 18th July 2009, 16:38
Could it be the MAF?

VERY possible

leet5r
Saturday 18th July 2009, 23:49
VERY possible

but it runs fine when its warm and when i disconact the maf it runs crap

leet5r
Saturday 18th July 2009, 23:52
VERY possible

its runs okat once its warm. when i disconect the maf it runs crap and will not rev .

AlanG
Saturday 18th July 2009, 23:59
That would suggest the MAF is doing it's job buddy.

leet5r
Sunday 19th July 2009, 00:03
That would suggest the MAF is doing it's job buddy.

lol which is makin me thing its someting more serious lol cheers

AlanG
Sunday 19th July 2009, 00:26
Bit flummoxed now mate. Points to a cold start system but only going on general knowledge as in the distant past I was a mechanic. Sorry I can't help you further.

leet5r
Sunday 19th July 2009, 02:25
Bit flummoxed now mate. Points to a cold start system but only going on general knowledge as in the distant past I was a mechanic. Sorry I can't help you further.

its got me baffled now m8. i had a rs turbo that was the same , but they had a cold start valve. am at me wits end cos a know its a simple problem lol.

Alan M
Monday 20th July 2009, 10:25
Have you replaced the spark plugs and leads for genuine new items? If not your fault may lie there.

leet5r
Monday 20th July 2009, 13:22
Have you replaced the spark plugs and leads for genuine new items? If not your fault may lie there.

haha . i seem to have sorted it m8 lol. dont know what av done but its been fine the last 2 mornings . cheeers

danny-R
Monday 20th July 2009, 17:43
nice one mate, glad you sorted it.

AlanG
Monday 20th July 2009, 17:50
haha . i seem to have sorted it m8 lol. dont know what av done but its been fine the last 2 mornings . cheeers

Ominous buddy........intermittent faults are notoriously difficult to cure. Having said that,mine would refuse to start periodically. Cured itself months ago and been perfect ever since. Volvos eh? Lives of their own and don't you just love 'em..........:B_thumb:

leet5r
Monday 20th July 2009, 23:33
Ominous buddy........intermittent faults are notoriously difficult to cure. Having said that,mine would refuse to start periodically. Cured itself months ago and been perfect ever since. Volvos eh? Lives of their own and don't you just love 'em..........:B_thumb:

haha i shall let you know if it rears its daft head again lol

Jod T5
Monday 27th July 2009, 00:08
If the idle valve is good then the MAF is the likely suspect...Remove the maf plug and see how the car drives..It may stall but if it runs better with the plug off it means the Maf is poor...

Jod