PDA

View Full Version : Springs and shocks 855 R

Clan998
Tuesday 14th July 2009, 22:29
Hi

Id value what everyone thinks on the subject .

Ive read a lot of different opinions about what shocks and springs to get . Was going to go for fsd's with eibach springs ... but recently heard that the ride can be quite hard. Its my everyday driver and I dont need a harsh ride .

Do springs wear out ????

I was thinking of going for some standard shocks from Rufe maybe and just leave the springs as is. It cant be far wrong if volvo put it on as standard can it ?

The ride height seems ok to me dont want it any lower really . Im asuming springs control the height of the car and the shocks take care of the bumps etc?

I dont know if there is anyone local to me .... Medway towns with different set up's that would possibly take us out for a spin so I can get a feel for the different set up's before I spend my money.

Look forward to hearing what everyone thinks

Rich

t5 pete
Tuesday 14th July 2009, 22:45
If your not wanting to lower the car or give the car better handleing ide stick with stock the koni fsd's are very good it all depends if you put lowering spring on them as its just common sence if you put a lowring spring on its going to stiffen up the ride there for giving better handling.
So its up to you buy fsd's for £400 and use your r springs on for a fraction of the price just get new shocks.
For the front you cannot jst replace the shocker its incased into the shocker leg so its a full component.
pete

Redbrick
Tuesday 14th July 2009, 23:15
My springs wore out on my 855R- the back end sat uneven even after brand new nivomats were fitted.

Do you have nivos or standard shocks? How many miles has she done?

OEM Boge/Sachs would probably be a vast improvement.

Clan998
Wednesday 15th July 2009, 10:59
Hi Red

Its done 173k , looking at the back one of the shocks has been replaced at some point but its not with a nivomat one, Ive definately one self leveller not sure what the other one is ! It sits even tho :-)

The front i think has the original shocks on. It feels very floaty even with a strut brace.

I like the sound of FSD's but dont wanna splash the cash only to find the ride is a lot harder than standard.

Rich