PDA

View Full Version : sorry, i had to do it

p fandango
Monday 13th July 2009, 15:03
i'm almost at the end of my first (proper) full tank so just had to post a pic up

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/4890/picture005hno.jpg

615.4miles since i filled up, & 59.1 average MPG. There is a bit more fuel left but Bonny's parked on a slope when i took the pic. Bit better than the 280miles from a full tank in BT & 30mpg(ish), just not quite as much fun lol :smile:

Filterlab
Monday 13th July 2009, 15:23
Blimey O'Reilly! That's great MPG from a decent sized car. Shame the T5 doesn't cut that kind of frugality. :(

S60-MBS
Monday 13th July 2009, 15:27
With a lighter right foot you can get a lot more than 615 miles from full tank before the warning light comes on.

p fandango
Monday 13th July 2009, 15:28
Blimey O'Reilly! That's great MPG from a decent sized car. Shame the T5 doesn't cut that kind of frugality. :(
the average was reset the same time i filled up so also a long-term reading, i was a bit disappointed i couldn't get over 60mpg tho. Even with economy like that its still got power when it needs be, proven to a new Civic Type-R that tractors shouldn't be under estimated lol

Filterlab
Monday 13th July 2009, 15:31
60mpg! That's insanely high for any Volvo! I'd be well chuffed with 59.1 to be frank. :)

p fandango
Monday 13th July 2009, 15:35
With a lighter right foot you can get a lot more than 615 miles from full tank before the warning light comes on.
don't you worry mate i haven't finished yet lol, having already ran out of fuel before while the computer said 100mile left i'm still a bit wary of how far to go

S60-MBS
Monday 13th July 2009, 15:36
I rely on the light rather than computer although my computer is not too far out.

p fandango
Monday 13th July 2009, 15:38
60mpg! That's insanely high for any Volvo! I'd be well chuffed with 59.1 to be frank. :)
oh i'm over the moon with it which is why i keep talking about the economy of it (& certain people have already started taking the p**s lol). I think its going to be a bit of a shock when BT is back on the road & decide to take her out for a drive

p fandango
Monday 13th July 2009, 15:40
I rely on the light rather than computer although my computer is not too far out.
is there only the tiny LED at the end of the fuel gauge or does the computer flick over when the milage gets low, i can hardly see the small light so probably just didn't see it (or ignored it)

Jaseb77
Monday 13th July 2009, 16:15
wee light comes on end of guage, and range goes down to - - -

thebadger
Monday 13th July 2009, 20:25
I can get the light on the night before, and the following morning... it goes out.

The light is a liar, so the guage. The computer is guestimating based on how heavy the right foot is being.

I have left the house with the light on, the range at 35 miles, and known I would not have time to get it filled. However I'd drive 20 miles the next day, come home, have no light and the reading is 45 miles. Tosh I hear you cry, but I did 15 miles by the trip & had 65 miles on the screen the whole trip. The car is pretty gash at its guessing.

Oh for the days of a real guage!

AlanG
Tuesday 14th July 2009, 00:38
[QUOTE=p fandango;241563]oh i'm over the moon with it which is why i keep talking about the economy of it

You woudn't be bragging now,would you?:fart:

PaulZX
Tuesday 14th July 2009, 01:19
I can get the light on the night before, and the following morning... it goes out.

The light is a liar, so the guage. The computer is guestimating based on how heavy the right foot is being.

I have left the house with the light on, the range at 35 miles, and known I would not have time to get it filled. However I'd drive 20 miles the next day, come home, have no light and the reading is 45 miles. Tosh I hear you cry, but I did 15 miles by the trip & had 65 miles on the screen the whole trip. The car is pretty gash at its guessing.

Oh for the days of a real guage!

mine does that too. you must be right on the guesstimating thing, I've thought that a few times...

thebadger
Tuesday 14th July 2009, 01:36
It's far worse on the P2's, I'm told, but it really gets my goat! Other times I'll drive home, have 45 miles, get in the next day & the light comes on at start up & it will say 25 miles.

WTF! I have the keys & I would hear it leave the house (it's not a quiet engine sound), but 5 miles down the road, we're back up to 40-45 miles again!

I want a real gauge with a float & a pipe! The computer is wrong!

p fandango
Tuesday 14th July 2009, 04:07
You woudn't be bragging now,would you?:fart:
probably a little bit lol

p fandango
Tuesday 14th July 2009, 04:13
It's far worse on the P2's, I'm told, but it really gets my goat! Other times I'll drive home, have 45 miles, get in the next day & the light comes on at start up & it will say 25 miles.

WTF! I have the keys & I would hear it leave the house (it's not a quiet engine sound), but 5 miles down the road, we're back up to 40-45 miles again!

I want a real gauge with a float & a pipe! The computer is wrong!
the old 850 trip computer only used to work use the computers average to work out the miles to empty figure, but P2's use a combination of the average plus a delayed current mpg to give a sort of current miles till empty instead of a long-term like the 850 system. This is reset everytime you start the car tho so the figure will change until its got a new current driving condition figure to work out how your driving now

cornclose
Thursday 16th July 2009, 00:33
Correct, the system uses the amount of fuel left in the tank and the short term average mpg (probably something like the last 5 miles) as the basis for its calculations, which is why on your drive home when the engine is warm, it can show a range of 45 miles, but when you start from cold in the morning (when the mixture is rich) it goes down to 25 miles range.

The computer is not lying, it's just making a best effort to tell you how long you've got left at the current driving style.