PDA

View Full Version : Will it make a difference??

bailes1992
Monday 13th July 2009, 13:47
Before now my Dad's had a BP petrol card and was only allowed to fill up with normal unleaded. Now his company have changed and have given him a different card so he can fill up anywhere and also given him the option of filling up with super unleaded only if he pays the difference. Now hes thinking of using Tesco 99 instead. Now Volvo recommends you use 98ron anyway. So will he notice a difference if he uses super unleaded?

Wombatbomb
Monday 13th July 2009, 14:29
Not as much difference as fitting a GT40 engine into a Mondeo would :mischievo

:saythat:

bailes1992
Monday 13th July 2009, 15:33
Not as much difference as fitting a GT40 engine into a Mondeo would :mischievo

:saythat:

That was back in 2006.

Filterlab
Monday 13th July 2009, 16:29
Yes. :)

mikouk
Monday 13th July 2009, 16:49
So will he notice a difference if he uses super unleaded?

I don't much, but some do, some don't. I still use it as I think its better for the engine and I think it makes the acceleration very slightly smoother.

bailes1992
Tuesday 14th July 2009, 20:16
Right first tank of 99 stuck in it. See what he says when he goes to fill up again.

volvoturboman
Wednesday 15th July 2009, 17:44
Absolutely, I only ever used shell optimax and the difference it made would have to have been seen to be believed.

bailes1992
Thursday 13th August 2009, 18:34
Right, never noticed too much difference till last week. The car sort of woke up to the fact weve been running it on 99 but the MPG and shot right down??
Turbo is making a "wooshhhhh" noise instead of a "eeeeeeeeeeeeee" noise aswell :)
But got quite a bit more torque available down the revs which means you can pull up hills in first just using the clutch which is cool :)

MIKESC70T5
Thursday 13th August 2009, 20:26
But got quite a bit more torque available down the revs which means you can pull up hills in first just using the clutch which is cool :)

i dont understand what you mean:help: Are you saying your dad drops the car into first gear when going up a hill?

steve954
Thursday 13th August 2009, 20:40
if he is filling up at tesco, make sure he has a club card points mean prizes.

bornagain
Thursday 13th August 2009, 20:48
I would never use supermarket fuel, it has the bear minimum cleaning agents required by law! I always use Vpower or Bp ultimate if I desparate!

bailes1992
Friday 14th August 2009, 02:45
i dont understand what you mean:help: Are you saying your dad drops the car into first gear when going up a hill?

No when doing hill starts you can just use the clutch with no throttle.

MIKESC70T5
Friday 14th August 2009, 09:36
No when doing hill starts you can just use the clutch with no throttle.

Thanks for clearing that up lol. I wouldn't of thought changing the fuel would cause that to happen though.

smudgethecat
Friday 14th August 2009, 10:47
Before now my Dad's had a BP petrol card and was only allowed to fill up with normal unleaded. Now his company have changed and have given him a different card so he can fill up anywhere and also given him the option of filling up with super unleaded only if he pays the difference. Now hes thinking of using Tesco 99 instead. Now Volvo recommends you use 98ron anyway. So will he notice a difference if he uses super unleaded?

simple answer, i very much doubt it

BruceT
Friday 14th August 2009, 10:52
I would not recommend Tesco Super Unleaded (I personally achieve a lower MPG with it)

BP and Shell "higher octane" fuels are better IMO.

t4 chump
Friday 14th August 2009, 23:33
does any1 use total exellum?

Tomcat
Saturday 15th August 2009, 00:17
Total what??, never heard of it and I can't recall seeing a Total garage for years ( maybe it's just where I live,lol). I only put in Shell optimax in mine when I can manage it and then difference it makes is night and day, Tesco's stuff is ok but I would prefer Shell.

t4 chump
Saturday 15th August 2009, 13:59
its the high octane total petrol. theys a 2 totals near where i live it seems to run fine but is my first t4

bailes1992
Saturday 15th August 2009, 19:34
I would not recommend Tesco Super Unleaded (I personally achieve a lower MPG with it)

BP and Shell "higher octane" fuels are better IMO.

Yeh it's drinking fuel! But at the end of the day he dosent pay for his petrol, the company does so I might get him to try start using V-Power instead.
Was doing 28mpg on normal BP unleaded, were working on getting another MPG figure at the moment.

Wombatbomb
Saturday 15th August 2009, 19:37
its the high octane total petrol. theys a 2 totals near where i live it seems to run fine but is my first t4

I've used it a number of times and has been decent. Normally I use V-Power, if not available then 99RON Tesco (the 97 version is garbage) or Excellium. I don't like the BP Ultimate, I've tried it in 4 different cars (all remapped) and none of them liked it.

bailes1992
Thursday 27th August 2009, 22:26
Im sure I read on the internet a while ago that the T5 was to be run on 98ron. Now this was on the actual Volvo website but I cannot find it :( It's not in the book either. Does anyone know where this info would be?

t4 chump
Thursday 27th August 2009, 22:38
on my t4 it says it inside the fuel tank cover

AlanG
Thursday 27th August 2009, 22:54
Any vehicle will run better on richer fuel...

bailes1992
Friday 28th August 2009, 08:10
on my t4 it says it inside the fuel tank cover

Just said Unleaded on ours :(