PDA

View Full Version : Springs for Estate, Springs for Saloon - What's the difference?

Diesel64
Monday 13th July 2009, 11:11
Can anyone tell me?

Have a set of H&R lowering springs (35mm) from a 855R and just wanted to know for certain that they're gonna fit my 854T5.

Are the springs for an estate physically the same size, just a bit harder to take the added weight?

The guy I got them off was adamant they'll fit my saloon, but if that's the case, why do H&R sell two different sets?

Thanks in advance,

Filterlab
Monday 13th July 2009, 11:49
Hmm, they might fit the saloon (don't know for sure), but the springs intended for the estate versions would normally be designed to cope with the increased tare weight and the kerb weight. Both weights are higher on the 855 than the 854.

PaulZX
Monday 13th July 2009, 12:20
I'd say the 855 rears might be either a bit longer, or a bit stiffer, to take the potential extra weight hanging behind the rear wheels...

cherry1809
Monday 13th July 2009, 14:29
I'd say the 855 rears might be either a bit longer, or a bit stiffer, to take the potential extra weight hanging behind the rear wheels...

I was going to say that. It'll be the same as when the Police take all the crap out the back of their cars, it sits a little high up.

p fandango
Monday 13th July 2009, 14:40
i've known people use 854 springs in a 855 but never the other way round

Diesel64
Monday 13th July 2009, 15:02
hmmm, you guy's have pretty much confirmed what I was thinking - The Estate springs will either be a little bit stiffer at the back (it that a bad thing?) or that the back will sit a bit higher, giving me a bit of a rake (again, can't see that being too bad either?). Can only be by a bit though surely?

Maybe I'll be the first to have 855 springs on an 854 then! :D Though, if no-one else has done it, there's probably a good reason for it.

I think I'll give H&R a call and ask them when I get chance...

Thanks to all of you for your comments - Will let ya know how I get on.

Cheers,

p fandango
Monday 13th July 2009, 15:07
hmmm, you guy's have pretty much confirmed what I was thinking - The Estate springs will either be a little bit stiffer at the back (it that a bad thing?) or that the back will sit a bit higher, giving me a bit of a rake (again, can't see that being too bad either?). Can only be by a bit though surely?
the extra stiffness & height will help on the dragstrip but won't be exactly good for the corners

Thanks to all of you for your comments - Will let ya know how I get on.
if you do go ahead & fit them i'd be interested in pics of how the car sits once done if you don't mind sir :wink:

Diesel64
Monday 13th July 2009, 15:24
if you do go ahead & fit them i'd be interested in pics of how the car sits once done if you don't mind sir :wink:

Don't mind at all! :)

Going to fit the 302mm front discs I got at the same time first, Springs will be a little bit down the line, but given your comments about cornering (which was part of the point of swapping out for uprated springs) I think I need to do a little bit more research before committing!

Filterlab
Monday 13th July 2009, 15:29

Going to fit the 302mm front discs I got at the same time first...

Make sure your wheels will fit around the 302 brakes. The Columbus alloys, amongst others, have a lip which is too small to fit round the larger calipers.

p fandango
Monday 13th July 2009, 15:33
many thanks, if it does sit too high for you i'll be interested in buying the rear springs off you

Going to fit the 302mm front discs I got at the same time first, Springs will be a little bit down the line, but given your comments about cornering (which was part of the point of swapping out for uprated springs) I think I need to do a little bit more research before committing!
its only a theory but as the estate is heavier & intended to carry more it makes sense it will be higher & harder. As already said you'll need the S/V70 T-5 alloys to fit over the 302's

Diesel64
Monday 13th July 2009, 15:59
I'm running 16" Perfo's, which I DID have the presence of mind to check before buying that they'll fit the 302s :) I know these look alot like the Columbias but I'm 99.99999% certain they'll go on nee bother :D

Good to know that if the rear springs are nee good, I won't get stuck with them - my lass gives me enough earache as it is about my hoarding :)

Cheers again, and will keep you appraised of the saga as it unfolds!

Filterlab
Monday 13th July 2009, 16:08
I'm running 16" Perfo's, which I DID have the presence of mind to check before buying that they'll fit the 302s :)

They'll definitely fit as they were the alloys that were standard on the S/C/V70 T5, which also had 302 brakes as standard. :)

Diesel64
Monday 13th July 2009, 18:25
i've known people use 854 springs in a 855 but never the other way round

SCORE!

Just got home and checked the codes on the springs - They're for the Saloon model afterall and not the Estate version!

Filterlab
Monday 13th July 2009, 19:05
Excellent news Bob! :)