PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Oil

thebadger
Monday 13th July 2009, 08:05
Hi guys, as a few of you know I'm getting the shocks done this week.

Question is, should I get a flush & fill of the tranny oil? I'm seeing loads of posts on this one, as it seems to be a common issue.

My car is an 2001 V70 Auto T5 geartronic. Has anyone got a note of the specific fluid to use & an idea of how much will be required?

My car has <80K on the clock, so I'd guess it may never have been done, or if it has, it would be back in it's former life with jean claude van plod.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Das Badger.

richiemat
Monday 13th July 2009, 08:38
I would go for it, mine was changed a few weeks ago same age car as yours with 63k on the clock and was the original fluid. The gearchange is more positive and smoother. I don't think it comes up on the service schedule at a dealer unless it is a towcar or a taxi but is worth doing in my opinion. Can't comment on what was put back other than its not cheap stuff lol.

thebadger
Monday 13th July 2009, 09:43
Does anyone have a note of the right flud?

I had read that it makes the gearing feel smoother.. I want to get it flushed as I've done just close to 8k since I got her last year, so I know it would be time to look at this! Also I feel that the gears are over reving & are begining to "clunk" on up & down shifts.

If anyone can verify the fluid type then I can get my spanners to order some in & save me a trip or two trying to find some!

Cheers!

kyebosh
Monday 13th July 2009, 10:04
Had mine done using genuine Volvo fluid (not cheap), also had a transmission software update at the same time, made a huge difference.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?p=167503

cookie
Monday 13th July 2009, 10:09
I just did mine P1 ME7 - flushed using 12L (was easy with 2 peeps doing) but fluid aint cheap, and possibly if its in garage for work, and they have the kit to do a power flush then see what they charge - just chaning G'box oil on auto isn't really worth it, as its gets about 3 of the 8 litres out.

I just disconnected top oil hose to rad, put into a 2 litre jug, then pumped out (by running engine) about a litre - and topped back up with the same of new, and kept repeating till oil ran bright red.

Nigel T5
Monday 13th July 2009, 10:10
Does anyone have a note of the right flud?

Also I feel that the gears are over reving & are begining to "clunk" on up & down shifts.

Cheers!

OH cluncking are we, let the fun commence, my v70 T5 2000 phase II had the same problem, if you flush the box you shift the contaminents around the box which shags the valve body completly. I ended up biting the bullet as really began to clunk from 2 to 3 up and down with random clunks in between, ended up having the whole box overhauled, new valve body, new fluid and a damn good clean out ! that will be £2000 please sir. Probably the most expensive bit to go wrong with these cars!!!

You can flush, sort of. The guy who did my box does something that doesnt involve flushing, something the stealers wont do. Recommended its done every 30,000 miles or so, but doesnt shift the gunk around to damage the valve body, he is based near huddersfield. Now if I could just find the receipt ill give you his number.......

thebadger
Monday 13th July 2009, 11:09
Hmmm, need to see, but the car has not done too many miles & my local spanners is a good guy who will take proper care to fix the problem if it is fluid related.

Put it this way, took my dad's non running Renault espace auto 2.0 rte down last week, he gave it back saying, "no fluids, may need a new box, but seems ok at the moment. I wouldn't trust reverse".... 3 days later, car was running, no smoke as before & reverse had good power, but the car is now protesting (wait for it) an electrical issue! (french tat!) So it's in limp mode, but working again.

I just want to get the gearing feeling smooth again. 12ltrs? That's a lot of oil for a box of it's size. I get that a couple will be lost in flush, but 4ltrs?

v70torslanda
Thursday 16th July 2009, 21:37
According to one source my D5 is 60k OVERDUE for it auto box oil change! Its the 5 speed AW and should be changed every 48k.

Mine's booked in for an oil change next Saturday.

Swallow hard and pay the damn bill!

J

thebadger
Thursday 16th July 2009, 22:31
I'm gonna guess that more than half of the members on the site have not had their box fluid changed since they've had their cars, or they're overdue one..

Sucks, but needs doing! Had mine flushed & refilled today. should see the results tomorrow when I get the car back.

I'll start getting it done once a year with it's service (big one along with the MOT) to try & feel better about my missuse of it!

I want to get new mounts for the box next... so it'll be nice to give it some TLC!

dave stew
Friday 17th July 2009, 07:20
For what it's worth, I've changed the gearbox oil twice on my gearbox - once as a service precaution at 110k then again at 140k when the clutch* was changed.

*clutch - funny left pedal thing that you move in and out to make the car move.

thebadger
Friday 17th July 2009, 10:49
Clutch? What's one ot them? Is that like the american cars with the hand brake as an extra pedal?

Didn't McLaren get into greif for having an extra pedal in the cars a few years back?

I'm not getting fined!

cornclose
Friday 17th July 2009, 11:01
*clutch - funny left pedal thing that you move in and out to make the car move.

Nah....

Clutch - A complete set of eggs produced or incubated at one time.

dave stew
Friday 17th July 2009, 11:13
I think that's where my chat up line went wrong the other week.
I should have said
"Do you want your egss fertilsed" not
"Do you want your eggs incubated"

It was all in vain anyway - she said
"You're a sad middle aged idiot who drives a Volvo estate. They're all automatics for old men"

cornclose
Friday 17th July 2009, 11:18
Was that the wife ?

thebadger
Friday 17th July 2009, 11:23
How can you lean out the window, shoot at the bad guys & keep driving the car if you have eggs in the car!

Kind of like this one...

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23282

cornclose
Friday 17th July 2009, 11:25
Should this forum be renamed "Phase 2 models/Silly Friday Banter" ? :gossip: :wavey:

thebadger
Friday 17th July 2009, 11:27
It's my thread... I'll ridicule it if I want to!

cornclose
Friday 17th July 2009, 11:30
I've got a week off next week! Hence my joviality!

dave stew
Friday 17th July 2009, 12:51
Was that the wife ?

No, her sister...:insane: