PDA

View Full Version : gearbox rattle??

mightywolf
Monday 13th July 2009, 00:07
Hi, I've recently bought my first volvo! A 98 V70 T5. I've had it about a month and its all good apart from a very annoying rattle coming from what seems to be the gearbox. It goes through the gears fine and the clutch is fine. The guy I bought it from said it had a new clutch put in a couple of months prior to me buying it. I've since realised it only does it either when its stood idling in neutral or once you put the clutch in while your driving. I went down a cobbled road the other day, put the clutch in and it sounded like something was about to fall off!! As soon as I lift the clutch again, it goes away. Any ideas??? I hope the gearbox isn't on it way out. My missus will kill me!! Thanks in advance guys.
p.s just to clarify when I say rattle it is pretty damn loud and very noticable.

p fandango
Monday 13th July 2009, 00:12
welcome to the forum, i don't know much about clutches or gearboxes but sounds like it could be the clutch release bearing to me. My bro's old VW does the same

AlanG
Monday 13th July 2009, 00:48
Hi, I've recently bought my first volvo! A 98 V70 T5. I've had it about a month and its all good apart from a very annoying rattle coming from what seems to be the gearbox. It goes through the gears fine and the clutch is fine. The guy I bought it from said it had a new clutch put in a couple of months prior to me buying it. I've since realised it only does it either when its stood idling in neutral or once you put the clutch in while your driving. I went down a cobbled road the other day, put the clutch in and it sounded like something was about to fall off!! As soon as I lift the clutch again, it goes away. Any ideas??? I hope the gearbox isn't on it way out. My missus will kill me!! Thanks in advance guys.
p.s just to clarify when I say rattle it is pretty damn loud and very noticable.

Bit unclear buddy......oh and welcome aboard by the way. If there is a rattle when sitting idling in neutral,I'd say g/box idler shaft bearings. If it's only audible with the clutch depressed then as Ped says it's going to be the clutch thrust bearing.........although you do say the clutch was new,some people don't replace it as a 3 piece assembly. Big false economy but if it was only to sell it on,then this is possible. Basically if when the g/box is disengaged(clutch down)and the noise is there then it's the release bearing. If the noise appears when you lift the clutch then it's a g/box problem HTH.

mightywolf
Monday 13th July 2009, 23:39
cheers guys, sounds like its the thrust bearing then to me. Although I've been listening out for it today and haven't heard a damn thing from it? Its strange. I'll see how it goes. If it keeps doing it I'll take a look. Thanks again.