PDA

View Full Version : A few problems with the S40

artemis87
Sunday 12th July 2009, 23:08
A few problems Im having with Art (Art is my 2001 S40 1.9D) at the moment, does anyone have any suggestions/tips, Im calling the garage in the morning but I dont want to be taken for a ride given that Im a girl.

I have noticed that what appears to be my brakes are making an odd noise when im drivin round corners or if im stopped on a slight hill if i take my foot off the brakes it makes a noise like when you rub your finger round a wine glass and it like hums but louder coming from the rear of the car.

Second problem, Art appears to be lurching at random. Ill be driving along and then suddenly its like the turbo has kicked in and she lurches forward like a little dog on a lead, then it subsides and does it again around 3 times it appears to be cyclic theres the same gap between lurches and it only does it in 3's. Its done it 4-5 times that I have noted on the 200 mile drive i had today.

Any thoughts of advice gratefully appreciated.

Dani and Art :)

AlanG
Monday 13th July 2009, 00:41
Hi you and welcome. Strange one with the brake issue as noise when cornering would normally suggest play/wear in a wheel bearing allowing the wheel camber to change under load and hence the disc would foul the pads which would explain that one. As for the other one,sounds like a lightly sticking caliper........I'm assuming rear brakes are discs. A simple check is to touch each wheel in turn after driving and if one is noticeably warmer than the others then you've located the problem area.
The surging is not my strong point here. Had it been an old Mondeo,I'd have said injection pump. These floomin' things are 4 wheeled computers so maybe it needs a diagnostic check. Be patient as I'm sure someone on here will have come across this before and will be along to help........Good luck...Alan.:B_thumb:

artemis87
Monday 13th July 2009, 11:15
Thank you for the response Alan, my bf thought it might be a caliper sticking too. Ill give the garage a ring today and see what they rekon.

Filterlab
Monday 13th July 2009, 12:03
Also, the brakes might be a simple case of the back plates behind the discs rubbing. If they get slightly knocked out of shape (very easy to do and quite common) they rub slightly on the disc when the vehicle is turning due to the natural flex of the steering components. Worth a ten second check before spending any dosh I'd say. :)

artemis87
Monday 13th July 2009, 12:22
Thanks filterlab, the car is under warranty for a year so anything that needs doing will get sorted free of charge, as for checking it took me 2 days to find the dipstick lol i think ill leave any mechanics to the blokes :)

Filterlab
Monday 13th July 2009, 12:30
Thanks filterlab, the car is under warranty for a year so anything that needs doing will get sorted free of charge, as for checking it took me 2 days to find the dipstick lol i think ill leave any mechanics to the blokes :)

Hehehehe :)

Warranty - good move, just lay back and let them do the work. ;)

I didn't have a problem finding the oil dipstick on the V40 I had, however the autobox dipstick is well hidden away!

artemis87
Monday 13th July 2009, 14:02
Garage isnt too sure on the lurching but for the brakes hes going to change the pads for me on the rears thankfully the dealer is decent and is going to do it under the warranty even through its not usually covered.