PDA

View Full Version : aux atf cooler

Pliskin
Monday 30th May 2005, 11:45
Hi All,

Has anybody fiitted an additional atf cooler. Now the weather is picking up, (I hope), I will soon be towing a boat trailer and I am concerned that the additional weight will knacker my autobox.

I read WobblyDave's reply regarding atf fluid changing and wondered if it might be a good idea to do them both at the same time.

I have phoned my local independant garage, who surprisingly suggestted I was being overcautious and that the boxes are pretty much bulletproof.

I realise that they have a vested interest if the box does go bang, but I wanted what you guys and girls thought, having seen a fair few postings on here regarding gearbox failures.

Kenlowe want about £100 for a d.i.y. kit.

Any ideas, recommendations ?

My car is a Feb 96 858 t5 saloon.

Lastly, if the answer is yes, does any of the more mechanically minded of you fancy the job. I live in Stockport, but don't mind a run out and will obviously pay you.

Regards to all.

Pliskin

Andrew
Monday 30th May 2005, 11:50
After my gearbox went bang I decided to go for a wobbly dave special and he fitted his kit to my car. I've been happy with the results.

This thread:
http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=899&page=2&pp=10&highlight=cooler
shows some of the pics of mine when it was done (see page 2).

Andrew.

Pliskin
Monday 30th May 2005, 13:23
Thanks very much for that PM sent to Wobbly Dave

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 31st May 2005, 00:20
I have sent you a brief overview of the details.I have also just read the thread again - so apologies for the dump/wobbly questions in my PM.

The boxes are not bullet proof unless you care for them. ATF change is a good idea for the longevity of the box.

Volvo recommend fitting their additional cooler for towing. My system is effective and a lot cheaper.

I have no idea about the DIY kit. I developed and fitted the system to my car as I am running a lot more power through the ATF.

Pliskin
Tuesday 31st May 2005, 11:40
Thanks Dave email sent

Regards