PDA

View Full Version : please help

topjules
Sunday 12th July 2009, 19:21
Hello every one. My name is Jules and iv just got my self a 1996 volvo 2.3 gtl t5. I have a bit of a problem.
When i bury my foot in the carpit the revs shoot up as though the clutch is still pressed down. Does that sound like the clutch is knacked or could it be some thing else.
Any ideas.

JelT5
Sunday 12th July 2009, 19:36
Sounds like a knacked clutch to me I'm afraid :frown:

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

topjules
Sunday 12th July 2009, 19:50
Thanks for the reply so quick. Any idea if that is a major job. I guess its not a dodle but how much do you think a local garage should be charging for such a job.

AlanG
Sunday 12th July 2009, 20:14
Firstly :welcome: Think you've answered you're own q matey. As a mechanic I was taught to test clutches as follows.........2nd or 3rd gear,foot down,dip clutch and then drop it. You'll know straight away if it's cooked.

p fandango
Sunday 12th July 2009, 20:33
& yes it is quite a job. You have to lower half the front subframe, pull the gearbox off the engine & then you can do the clutch

Babybadger
Monday 13th July 2009, 11:29
Word of advice, if you get the clutch done, do the Rear main Oil seal at the same time, it costs pennies and will save fortunes......... It will be peace of mind....

PaulZX
Monday 13th July 2009, 11:37
If you're in the Coventry area I know a man who's very good with T5's and very fair with his prices as well....

850 t5 vs 600cc
Monday 13th July 2009, 15:31
If you're in the Coventry area I know a man who's very good with T5's and very fair with his prices as well....

Might need that information for mine soon, I'll let you know..