PDA

View Full Version : Bird Poo....

Happygilmore78
Sunday 12th July 2009, 15:59
Ok, so didnt wash it off, now i have it has left a stain, that wont wash off??? tried waxing - just wont budge.

Will it go eventually? didnt realise bird poo was so aggresive to paintork - the little buggers!!

RobbieH
Sunday 12th July 2009, 18:47
IIRC bird poo can be very alkaline and will attack the paint work, even below laquer. If it's been left long enough it has marred the colour I think that might be it for ever.
General advice I've seen is to wash it off asap, less than 24hrs if possible, especially if you have a dark colour.

Happygilmore78
Sunday 12th July 2009, 23:09
I think they use my car for target practice, i am usually on form and wash it off, but this time - i lost track of time i guess, and the buggers dropped a right gooden on me.

I'll keep polishing, maybe it might blend in more...

Wobbly Dave
Monday 13th July 2009, 09:25
It is not a stain - it is an etch - namely a small indentation into the clear coat.

Only way I have ever removed bird poo marks was with machine polishing, to flattern the area to remove the line. I removed some marks from the saffy V70R that darryl (ro7s) used to have on his bonnet. I know when I return to the UK that I will have a lot of work to do on mine as Ellen, my fiance, tends to ignore it.

Bird poo is not alkaline - it's acid as it contains Uric acid and that etches your paint work if not removed/diluted.

Once removed ensure you use a quality sealant - such as chemical guys factory sealant and layer on a good quality wax.

Jaseb77
Monday 13th July 2009, 10:10
I have been fortunate enough to removing bird poo Etching with MEG's gold class Bug and Tar remover, even after a few days

Spray it on leave for a minute or so and rub it off (may need done a couple of times)

I though i would have to resort to machine polishing too, as nowt was lifting the mark at all

Wobbly Dave
Monday 13th July 2009, 11:06
Depends on the species of bird and also how long the poo is left.