PDA

View Full Version : 1200 rpm

ikp_77
Friday 10th July 2009, 20:05
checked over all the work that i have done on changin the pcv system found nothing but still got high tick over wot should be done to drop the rpm down chears out there

AlanG
Friday 10th July 2009, 20:10
Definitely no vac leaks mate? Mine was the same,and guess what? Yep......vacuum leak!!

ikp_77
Friday 10th July 2009, 21:05
yep no leaks should i check every thing again tho chears

ikp_77
Friday 10th July 2009, 22:54
were was your vac leak mate if ya do,nt mind me asking

AlanG
Friday 10th July 2009, 22:54
Can't go wrong with that mate. Is your car pre-ME7?

ikp_77
Saturday 11th July 2009, 10:48
yes its a 98 mate think it is any way lol

AlanG
Saturday 11th July 2009, 16:53
yes its a 98 mate think it is any way lol

Should be same as mine then buddy. They're famous for the vac elbow to the timing side of the inlet manifold perforating. If you do a search on here,you'll find a "how to" on replacing the little bugger for no cost. I posted this some weeks ago under "The usual suspect" First place I'd look. HTH.

ikp_77
Saturday 11th July 2009, 21:06
i stripeed it all back down again there is no vac pipes loose as replaced them all a week ago put it back together and still high reves when i was messin round with the car i hit a large connecter block next to passenger front lite and it caused the engine to cut out could that havesumit to do with high reves and wot the hell is that block

AlanG
Sunday 12th July 2009, 01:10
Not sure mate but my honest opinion is no. Sure someone will be along to identify the part in question. Have you cleaned the throttle tube? They are prone to sticking in old age and can prevent the engine from returning to the correct idle speed. Have you tried blipping the throttle to see if it drops lower afterwards?

MARKY70RRR
Sunday 12th July 2009, 11:18
mine did this for ages and now and again it would thro a light up on dash found it to be idle control valve,cleaned it and even soaked it in cleaner for a day,but after a run it went back to idling high,in the end bought a second hand one off flee bay and it worked,hth

ikp_77
Sunday 12th July 2009, 11:57
cheers i try that how much was the idle control valve mate

AlanG
Sunday 12th July 2009, 14:03
:doh: Forgot about the ICV........1/2 hour job to give a thorough clean. I used WD40 as it was all I had but brake cleaner is better. Worth a try.

ikp_77
Sunday 12th July 2009, 17:41
Do you think if i replace the icv it should cailm the revs down cheers

MARKY70RRR
Sunday 12th July 2009, 17:50
mine cost me a tenner there woz dearer ones but im a tight arse and wasnt sure if it woz that but it woz,best ten pounds i spent for a while anyway,good luck mate,

AlanG
Sunday 12th July 2009, 17:50
If you are certain there are no vac leaks then that is what I'd be looking at mate. Have you cleaned it out yet?

ikp_77
Monday 13th July 2009, 21:50
have not had time yet to clean it yet mate its parked up at my mams house as do,nt want to drive her incase i do any damage to it

Diesel64
Monday 13th July 2009, 21:58
If you've done the PCV, it could possibly be the inlet manifold hasn't seated itself properly when you've put it back. Did you use a new gasket?

If my knowledge is correct, it might also manifest itself as a slight misfire at idle if it is.

hope this helps...

AlanG
Monday 13th July 2009, 22:16
have not had time yet to clean it yet mate its parked up at my mams house as do,nt want to drive her incase i do any damage to it

Wouldn't worry about that buddy.........highly unlikely. I ran mine for a year,still learning about them and not driving like a lesbian,old age spinster either.:saythat: Only put it right a few months ago.

ikp_77
Tuesday 14th July 2009, 22:16
yes mate new gasket fitted cleaned idle control today no change just orderd a idle control valve of e bay today hope this would the trick ,£200 from volvo for a idle control valve

AlanG
Tuesday 14th July 2009, 22:46
Very wise matey,would never pay the stealer that amount of money either. Hopefully that'll cure it then.......Forgot to say,does your car have the ECC? And does it work correctly as this can influence the idle speed too.

PaulZX
Tuesday 14th July 2009, 23:17
could be as simple as the butterfly not closing properly. I'd check the control arm on the throttle housing, is free and not fouling on anything at all before I spent any money on it.

Alan M
Wednesday 15th July 2009, 11:04
Where are you from? A fresh pair of eyes may be able to pick up any problems you may have missed if you are local to any helpful members. Split hoses are common especially around where the hose clamps are tightened against the hose as they can appear to be fine until the clamp is tightened. Check hoses completely along the entire hose when removed to make sure then tighten them back up properly afterwards. Its worth doing a pressure test on the inlet system to find or eliminate the risk of leaks. I had a split hose appear on saturday and my revs were in a similar postion to yours. My split hose was to the evap purge valve.

Niles
Wednesday 15th July 2009, 11:17
it may just be a simple case of the throttle cable is wound up to tight & is lifting the butterfly. try disconnecting the throttle cable then start the car. Maybe that. Worth the 5 mins to do it.

ikp_77
Wednesday 15th July 2009, 23:24
sorry for being thick but wots ecc mate cheers

ikp_77
Thursday 16th July 2009, 20:04
what is the ecc mate

AlanG
Thursday 16th July 2009, 21:37
Electronic climate control buddy. When the compressor is engaged, the ecu compensates for the extra load.

ikp_77
Friday 17th July 2009, 20:34
that sounds like it would need to go to a auto sparky and could be expensive

AlanG
Friday 17th July 2009, 21:41
Not necessarily my friend. Rule out all the usual suspects first. I know I've said it before but vacuum leaks are these cars bugbear. Once that is done,ICV. Trottle tubes get gunged up. You'll get there mate.:banana:

ikp_77
Saturday 18th July 2009, 23:26
got a idle control valve today of ebay 13 pounds to the door am going to put it on her tomo so i can rule that out and thanks again for all your help

AlanG
Saturday 18th July 2009, 23:58
Good job matey. Did well for that money and let us know the result.:B_thumb:

ikp_77
Sunday 19th July 2009, 18:48
put the idle controll valve today and it was just the fast tick over so i was sick when that did,nt work i had a bit mess about with that little ecrew thing and ajusted the arm and its ticking over ok now at 900rpm boosting ok aswell ave missed driving her good to haver her back thanks again

ikp_77
Monday 20th July 2009, 20:06
well it was boosting ok its down on power and when its boosting up its lumpy not smooth like it used to be