PDA

View Full Version : Wheel spacers....

Happygilmore78
Thursday 9th July 2009, 14:45
Anyone use these? was looking at my arches, and wondering if i could space wheels to fill them better - but then thought about the wheels then foulding the arches.

thebadger
Thursday 9th July 2009, 14:51
Bit tricky, easy to go wrong.

Also getting "volvo specific" spacers is a total pain!

I have 6mm ones on now, but bought 10mm ones which do fit better, but have the wrong sized bolt holes! (has them for the older 70's & 850 bolts!)

Canny win!

Happygilmore78
Thursday 9th July 2009, 15:33
Yeh, dont want it to go wrong - and was thinking if it did i would probably see all my wheels pass me by on the motorway

thebadger
Thursday 9th July 2009, 23:07
if you keep below 10mm & get longer bolts.. no chance!

MIKESC70T5
Friday 10th July 2009, 13:49
I've got 3mm on the front wheels ( needed to clear the porsche brakes). On the back i've got 15mm eibach spacers with longer bolts. They fill the arches better and no rubbing at all, and i've got 235/40/18 tyres.

PaulZX
Friday 10th July 2009, 14:13
I can get them for ya, but they aint as cheap as you'd think.

You're lookin about £80 a pair, but the'll be 100% the right ones for your car, no muckin about...

thebadger
Friday 10th July 2009, 14:25
^ They can be bought cheaper I'd guess, but getting exactly the right ones will be the main problem... I'd personally pay that for the guarentee!

Would they be straight spacers or hub extenders tho? I'd be happier with extenders as some standard spacers can "chew" the wheel bolts, which is mostly greif if you have paid for longer bolts!

PaulZX
Friday 10th July 2009, 15:24
^ They can be bought cheaper I'd guess, but getting exactly the right ones will be the main problem... I'd personally pay that for the guarentee!

Would they be straight spacers or hub extenders tho? I'd be happier with extenders as some standard spacers can "chew" the wheel bolts, which is mostly greif if you have paid for longer bolts!

not sure, to be honest, but I know a place that would know....

http://www.wheels.uk.com/

Give 'em a bell, a very helpful bunch of lads there....

thebadger
Friday 10th July 2009, 15:59
They don't have a list of volvos supplied, I'd guess they buy them elswhere... can you see where this is going? I bought some "volvo specific" spacers, took 3 months to come & they were wrong!

Buyer beware!

PaulZX
Friday 10th July 2009, 17:46
They don't have a list of volvos supplied, I'd guess they buy them elswhere... can you see where this is going? I bought some "volvo specific" spacers, took 3 months to come & they were wrong!

Buyer beware!

I've been in the shop, and the guy sourced some from Germany, specific to the 850, so I'm sure they won't have a problem getting you exactly what you need.

MIKESC70T5
Friday 10th July 2009, 20:17
The ones on my rears are specific for my car, i think they use the term hub centric or something. They are really tight fit. I got them second hand but still cost me £40. £80 is about right for new ones, but usually that price doesn't includes the bolts!!!!

Happygilmore78
Saturday 11th July 2009, 20:41
Thanks for info - so you say 15mm is perfect for the back then? thats what i was looking at to fill the arches better. The fronts was going to do a few mm aswell, maybe 5mm to 10mm.

I'll have a look at the link above, and give them a call, see what price i can get them for with bolts - nice to see another with them already on, so i can get a good idea etc.

Only downside is i guess, my locking wheelnust will be redundant :(

Cheers Guys

volvolised
Saturday 11th July 2009, 22:40
personaly would never use any spacers unless hub centric ones as the wheel bolts alone will not guarantee the wheel stays true/they wont break ..tis a 150+ mph car....the ones mike has are my old ones(now have different offset wheels) and are including longer wheel bolts from .www.don@kalmarunion.co.uk HTH..

PaulZX
Saturday 11th July 2009, 22:59
personaly would never use any spacers unless hub centric ones as the wheel bolts alone will not guarantee the wheel stays true/they wont break ..tis a 150+ mph car....the ones mike has are my old ones(now have different offset wheels) and are including longer wheel bolts from .www.don@kalmarunion.co.uk HTH..

how's the bike doin? :D