PDA

View Full Version : Drilling a D5 air box.

burt
Thursday 9th July 2009, 12:49
I have drilled the box on my old T5's, but will the mod work on a D5?

Searched but can't find anything in the threads.

AlanG
Thursday 9th July 2009, 16:21
Not sure what you mean by "mod working" matey. I did same with mine and found (after being shot down by everyone on here) that the result was a load of noise and considerable power loss due to heat soak. I ran it for a week and then replaced the box with the original. Only then did I realise the difference. Warp-drive in silence!!

burt
Thursday 9th July 2009, 21:11
Didn't know if the engine layout was the same as the T5, the cold air from under the engine passing over the gear box, to the under side of the air box.
Not sure wether it had the same affect on a diesel.

THOMO
Thursday 9th July 2009, 23:37
lol what a thread

AlanG
Thursday 9th July 2009, 23:58
It's goin to start again!! This subject has been thrashed to death. I mean no offence to anyone but this is goin' nowhere. Drilling your airbox,petrol or diesel gains nothing. When turbocharged you need cold air. Think about it.......Drill it and it takes air from wherever it can. Mostly warm. Anyone with a basic knowledge of turbocharging knows that the colder the air,the better. Hence the intercooler!! In extreme circumstances.heat will stall your turbo engine,that is how much of an effect it has. Please..........no more drilled airiboxes. I learned my lesson!!

ctautos@btinternet.com
Friday 10th July 2009, 12:48
well said that man

Filterlab
Friday 10th July 2009, 12:55
Bravo!

The only way to get better air intake is to remove the stock airbox and replace it with a sealed induction filter. That way you get better flow, cold air and no 'boyed up' noise (although you do get a nice little burble).

I bought a sealed filter and did the rest DIY. Full kits ready to fit run around £150 to £250.

Have a gawps:

BMC CDA (http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/category_results.mhtml?category=bmccdainductionkit s;car=volvov70;manufacturer=bmc;sub_category=1)

Pipercross Sealed Induction Kit (http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/49025/volvo/pipercross-viper-intake-kit/vfc266.html)

These are both for the T5, but a decent DIYer will be able to modify it for the D5 (I would imagine). :)

burt
Saturday 11th July 2009, 12:23
Ta.