PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre external temperature readings...

Al115
Wednesday 8th July 2009, 19:13
Sitting on the M25 this evening, my T4 was getting quite hot - the temp gauge normally goes up to one bar off the red before the fans kick in (non-standard i/c and rad and fans). It did this, and the fans started to cool it, but then strangely the external temperature display wandered up from 21 ambient to 44 (!) degrees. I got a bit worried so whacked the heater on and turned the ac off, and the engine quickly cooled back to normal 3-o'clock position on the gauge, but the external temp stayed up at 44. Even when I was moving at 40mph again, it was stuck up there, and it was only after a few minutes that it suddenly dropped down again through the range back to the correct ambient temp of 21.

Odd!

Anyone seen this before?

Is 44 degrees the "top of range" reading for that sensor by chance?

I checked and the sensor is still on the front of my car (so we can rule out someone nicking it...!)

Tomcat
Wednesday 8th July 2009, 19:19
Probably just the sensor going duff Al.

Al115
Wednesday 8th July 2009, 21:20
Prolly :)

CONDYBOY
Wednesday 8th July 2009, 22:36
I think the max for my ETS is 40 degs, so that may well be the limit!

Rufe
Thursday 9th July 2009, 14:43
I think the max for my ETS is 40 degs, so that may well be the limit!

no, for the S40 / V40 i found this info:

"The outside temperature just above the road surface, temperature range -40°C to +50°C, ice symbol indication between +2°C and –5°C"

Found Here:
http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories/cat/en-GB/X40/comfort/electronic/VCC-210720.htm

Hope this helps

Simon :)

Rufe
Thursday 9th July 2009, 14:48
and to add, we do sell these sensors from time to time, so could potentially be this sensor which is failing. If so here is the price for this part for your car:

Ambient Temperature Sensor: [30810375]
Retail Price £17.25 / Our Price £12.59 including Vat

Postage:
£1.83 Royal Mail 2nd Class Recorded Delivery

I will pm you with a reference number in case you decide to order one from here.

Hope this helps,

Simon :)

Al115
Thursday 9th July 2009, 16:38
Thanks, that's a good price, I will check in "Al-addin's cave" to see if I have a spare and if not I will get one from you. Cheers!

AlanG
Thursday 9th July 2009, 17:16
Sweating just thinking about it!!

daveforber
Thursday 9th July 2009, 19:20
I wouldn't be too concerned myself. I've often found exterior temp guages are misleading if the car's stationary, presumably because they're under the bonnet (?) or metal (?) which gets hot if air isn't moving through it.