PDA

View Full Version : D5 mpg

p fandango
Sunday 5th July 2009, 21:17
i was just wondering if my D5 is better on the old devil juice than i was expecting, or the trip computer is miles out.

when i fuelled up in Cov i reset the trip computer & headed off for Mablethorpe (127miles). Mostly motorway miles but about 15miles of twisty country lanes, i was taking it easy & got an average of 61.3mpg is that right?

v70torslanda
Sunday 5th July 2009, 21:48
That's cool for a manual - a bit beyong the reach of the auto.
Long term mpg for the Torslandamobile is 42.

J

Jaseb77
Monday 6th July 2009, 09:59
at a 65-70 mph crooze, then 50+Mpg (real Mpg) is achievable, I find the trip computer out by about 10%

mines ia AVG 48 on trip but in real MPG works out at about 44mpg
cruising at 2.5K rpm on motorway (74mph)

cornclose
Monday 6th July 2009, 12:13
Interesting you should mention the built in mpg reading Jase, from my own calculations using MAF readings, speed and Lambda data via OBDII, it would appear that the Volvo mpg reading takes very little, if any account of the fuel used when sat idling in traffic (i.e. when not moving). So, Volvo's mpg reading will always be a little better than reality...

lance
Monday 6th July 2009, 12:45
Ive had 540 till empty on the computer and never got close!

p fandango
Monday 6th July 2009, 12:50
Ive had 540 till empty on the computer and never got close!
i beat that, saw it say "1115miles till empty" yest lol. 127miles & the needle is still off the top of the fuel gauge

the Apexi boost controller i've got in BT has got a injector duty meter & does goto 0.0% on over run or downhill, reads about 1.3% on idle so there not doing much

abv70
Monday 6th July 2009, 12:51
Impressive, How on earth do you get that sort of result? I have a 2008 V70 D5, best i've ever seen on a motorway run was 40mpg. An average tank is 32mpg, the same journey in my previous Mondeo ST TDCI was 50mpg, appreciate the V70 is bigger & heavier etc, but the MPG is the only thing to let the car down. I have read on other forums/discussions that low 30's is the norm

p fandango
Monday 6th July 2009, 12:54
Impressive, How on earth do you get that sort of result? I have a 2008 V70 D5, best i've ever seen on a motorway run was 40mpg. An average tank is 32mpg, the same journey in my previous Mondeo ST TDCI was 50mpg, appreciate the V70 is bigger & heavier etc, but the MPG is the only thing to let the car down. I have read on other forums/discussions that low 30's is the norm
i'm used to driving a T-5 that likes a drink so got used to taking it easy & making the most out of the fuel lol. Think it does sound a bit too high compared to everyone by the look of it

p fandango
Monday 6th July 2009, 12:56
So, Volvo's mpg reading will always be a little better than reality...
it'll always impress the customer & keep them happy tho won't it :D

Jaseb77
Monday 6th July 2009, 14:33

Unfortunately the newer Euro V emission constraints and the DPF in your 08 car strangles it, and resulting economy is poor compared to old "dirty" Euro IV cars.

Though you may pay a little less road tax, or company tax if for business

PaulZX
Monday 6th July 2009, 14:43
Interesting you should mention the built in mpg reading Jase, from my own calculations using MAF readings, speed and Lambda data via OBDII, it would appear that the Volvo mpg reading takes very little, if any account of the fuel used when sat idling in traffic (i.e. when not moving). So, Volvo's mpg reading will always be a little better than reality...

if I sit ticking over, the avg mpg ticks downwards slowly in mine...

cornclose
Monday 6th July 2009, 14:49
if I sit ticking over, the avg mpg ticks downwards slowly in mine...

Yeah, it does on mine to, but when you work out the math, it's not at the rate that it should be!

lance
Monday 6th July 2009, 14:59
should be 0

richiemat
Monday 6th July 2009, 15:07
at a 65-70 mph crooze, then 50+Mpg (real Mpg) is achievable, I find the trip computer out by about 10%

mines ia AVG 48 on trip but in real MPG works out at about 44mpg
cruising at 2.5K rpm on motorway (74mph)

ah the most widely discussed topic on the forum again :D

My euro iv D5 av reading is similar at 43.2mpg / 550miles a tank which dropped by 0.2mpg after the new tyres were fitted last week..still trying to work out whether thats related. On longer runs it can show 45/6mpg. ABV70's post about the DPF is what put me off buying a newer D5 in the end because of the consumption, it was too close to the av reading on my T5 without enough of a benefit.

volvoturboman
Tuesday 7th July 2009, 00:58
As I'm not a diesel man, being the fuel of satin ad so on, I can't give you a personnel guide. I do know a taxi driver who ruhs an S60 D5 and he tells me he is getting as much as 40mpg ans thats all city start, stop driving. :eclipsee_

KPB
Tuesday 7th July 2009, 11:24
As a (semi) interesting comparison with an S60 D5 competitor, my remapped 220bhp 530d manual returns 49mpg at 80% motorway/20% urban driving. Most of the motorway driving is 75-80mph.

This probably drops to about 44mpg if the mix was 50:50.

My driving style is probably a big factor as I'm reasonably adept at keeping the consumption down (I make up for it by being doubly-evil, owning a beemer and filling it with the juice of Satan).