PDA

View Full Version : Brakes!

ANDYRACER
Sunday 5th July 2009, 16:09
Hi all,

Need to do the pads and discs on the volvo all round now, but dont want to put standard front pads on cos they just dont seem to be upto the job when driving the barge properly.
So whats recommended for the front?

And where is a good place to get standard front and rear discs and standard rear pads?

cheers :)

Tomcat
Sunday 5th July 2009, 16:40
Volvo do a police spec pad that's supposed to give better braking performance ( I used to have some on my last 850), speak to Rufe for a price.

S70T5Chris
Sunday 5th July 2009, 19:30
I've used several different discs and pads on my S70 before going over to the BBK. Nothing is superior to the genuine volvo discs, and IMO genuine volvo pads. The ferodo DS2500 are popular, and I used to use them, but in my honest opinion they don't make much, if any, difference over the genuine volvo products.

I think the standard brakes are £££££e on these cars, and if you want better than that you'd need to think about changing the whole setup.

irf
Sunday 5th July 2009, 19:37
depends how far you want to go. there are pads you can use on the std and 302mm discs that will perform well even on track but they do cost.

Diesel64
Sunday 5th July 2009, 20:07
In terms of pads, I've found EBC pads to be pretty good. I preferred the 'Green Stuff' ones (fast road), but apparently they don't make them for the 850 T5 any more :(

Next ones up are the 'Red Stuff' (Fast road+mild track use) which I've yet to try (although I have a set for the fronts in my bit box that I plan to put on when I put my 302mm discs on in the next week or so). Suppose to give less dust and less fade under heavy braking.

linky: http://www.ebcbrakeshop.co.uk/volvo_c34136_34227_34308_34355.htm

IMHO you won't get all that much improvement by just uprating the pads without doing your discs as well. Again, I can only vouch for EBC's but most Drilled and/or Grooved discs will give you better performance under hard driving. Drilled through discs do have a tendency to crack quicker than grooved/dimpled. I had to teach my self not to sit at lights with my foot on the brakes to prevent/reduce the risk of warping them too.

At the end of the day, it would all depend on how hard you drive it - I've run a set of OEM disks and pads for the past year and never had a problem stopping when I need to, I'm just upgrading because I can, rather than because I need to...

Hope this helps.

irf
Sunday 5th July 2009, 21:11
i really would stay away from EBC greens. had them on an old car and they'd be fading at the first high speed stop!!! no idea on reds as haven't used them. had ebc discs on the same old car and warped them on one trackday.

the genuine volvo discs are very good. last year i done 11 laps of the nurburgring with some very good pads and didnt get any fade, judder or anything.

MIKESC70T5
Sunday 5th July 2009, 21:46
ebc yellows are a big improvement over standard. ebc greens are no better than standard just less brake dust. Stay away from ebc discs imo,look good but very noisey.

Volvostorm
Sunday 5th July 2009, 22:45
I don't get why people say EBC discs are noisey? I have them on my Sierra Cosworth, and I've never had a squeak out of either pairs I have fitted, I upgraded from 260mm to 283mm, both time fitted with Green Stuff pads, it has awesome braking, on its brake test, the mot tester bashed his head on the windscreen! :P

I would chose them again, and I'm going to fit a set to the T5, but this time Red Stuff, you still can get Green Stuff for the T5, off ebay, so its probably old stock, I was told to always use the Green Stuff V4.

ANDYRACER
Sunday 5th July 2009, 22:58
Tbh i drive my car like i stole it, and my biggest problem is brake fade.
The standard pads just cant seem to handle the heat, i had yellow stuff pads on my 200sx and rated them highly so will have a look into them then.

Alan M
Monday 6th July 2009, 07:56
Carbotech pads get great reviews from other track orientated T5 drivers. Apparently they can be noisy until warm or under light braking but when used they perform excellently.

MIKESC70T5
Monday 6th July 2009, 19:42
I don't get why people say EBC discs are noisey? I have them on my Sierra Cosworth, and I've never had a squeak out of either pairs I have fitted, I upgraded from 260mm to 283mm, both time fitted with Green Stuff pads, it has awesome braking, on its brake test, the mot tester bashed his head on the windscreen! :P

I would chose them again, and I'm going to fit a set to the T5, but this time Red Stuff, you still can get Green Stuff for the T5, off ebay, so its probably old stock, I was told to always use the Green Stuff V4.

Yellow is the new red mate. I sell ebc and the guys on the jap forums buy the yellows and some use the blues. The greens are just a standard pad, no improvement in performance (unless you have a corsa etc) They may have been fine on the mot test, but try using them consitently and they will scare you. Even ebc themselves wouldn't advise them for 225bhp and more horsepower cars.

i was using yellows on my 850 with there 302 discs upfront and 294 discs on the back. Good value because i got them at cost, but deffo better alternatives for the money if you have to pay retail.

As for noise, it's a constant tick tick ticking noise. Listen with your window down.

Diesel64
Monday 6th July 2009, 20:33
The greens are just a standard pad, no improvement in performance (unless you have a corsa etc) They may have been fine on the mot test, but try using them consitently and they will scare you. Even ebc themselves wouldn't advise them for 225bhp and more horsepower cars.

That probably explains why they don't do them for the 850 anymore!

MIKESC70T5
Monday 6th July 2009, 20:35
That probably explains why they don't do them for the 850 anymore!

correct lol.

Volvostorm
Monday 6th July 2009, 22:05
As for noise, it's a constant tick tick ticking noise. Listen with your window down.

The noise my Cosworth makes, you lucky to hear your self think! Let alone hear a brake disc! lol:hilarious

AlanG
Monday 6th July 2009, 22:10
The noise my Cosworth makes, you lucky to hear your self think! Let alone hear a brake disc! lol:hilarious

Ok guys,this how it's done.............Never let the engine above 2K and stick to the speed limit (urban) and never worry about brake linings again...............Genious or what?:hail:

Volvostorm
Monday 6th July 2009, 22:37
Ok guys,this how it's done.............Never let the engine above 2K and stick to the speed limit (urban) and never worry about brake linings again...............Genious or what?:hail:

Yup, I agree with that.............................................. ................................... :insane: