PDA

View Full Version : double din question ??

volvoboyt5
Sunday 5th July 2009, 01:13
hi guys,, im looking to swap my head unit and was wondering if any normal sized double din head unit would fit nicely in the hole left from my origional unit ??. im aware of adapter,s to convert to single din but am not sure if a d,din will fit snug like , . my car is a 95 850 . thanks in advance

p fandango
Sunday 5th July 2009, 01:21
yes the 850 is a genuine double DIN so any normal unit will fit, it will take a small bit of cut as Volvo have put a small ledge in the middle of the opening to hold an upper DIN unit in place if you use 2 seperate units

matt_850
Sunday 5th July 2009, 02:01
I just fitted a pioneer double din unit and found the hole is a little too big top to bottom, but perfect side to side with out having to cut the ledge. If you know anyone who is good with plastic they can make a tiny slice top and bottom for you. However i find that it is hardly noticable, and i have no problems with mine moving as ive got a bit of soft packing foam top and bottom that absorbs the bumps and holds it in place.

volvoboyt5
Sunday 5th July 2009, 17:07
nice one guy,s , my aim is to keep it as tidy looking as possible , i also looking for advice regarding a line output converter so as i can run my amps until i can find the right head unit .. are they as simple to use as folks say they are ? . and where in the uk can i find one ? as ive had a quick look about and i can only find them over sea,s .. any advice would be greatfully recieved .. cheers mike

p fandango
Monday 6th July 2009, 08:50
nice one guy,s , my aim is to keep it as tidy looking as possible , i also looking for advice regarding a line output converter so as i can run my amps until i can find the right head unit .. are they as simple to use as folks say they are ? . and where in the uk can i find one ? as ive had a quick look about and i can only find them over sea,s .. any advice would be greatfully recieved .. cheers mike
i wouldn't use any convertors tbh, you can get a DIN plug which plugs into the pre-amp socket on the back of the radio & gives the pre-outs you need. Not all Volvo radios have the DIN socket tho. Think there was a wiring diagram for the plug online somewhere if you can solder