PDA

View Full Version : 2001 C70 Convertible Stereo Problem

markjel
Thursday 2nd July 2009, 13:13
Hi,

I'm new to the site having just inherited my wifes C70 Cab.

Am gradually fixing bits and bobs as I go, but one thing is stumping me.

The bass has just gone from the stereo, it seems that all the speakers are working expect for the bottom two (largest) door speakers.

I have an sc-901.

Is it the amp, is it the stereo, is it somethin else. Where do I start?

All help greatly appreciated!!

Baj
Friday 3rd July 2009, 01:36
You need to do some logical tracing.
Start with the knobs and settings on the HU to check that it is set up right. (sounds stupid but you wont be happy if it is that after you have replaced the speakers).
Next you need to check the speakers. Is sound coming down the wire? You need to get hold of a spare speaker (a cheapy from a carboot will do) andconnect it to the wires.
If sound it is the speakers, if not it is further down.
Trace wires back to amp. A multimeter with a continuity beep would be useful here. One connector on the speaker wire in the door, the other on the amp end of the wire. If it beeps then the wires are intact.
You can retry the speaker test on the wire before it hits the amp. It will be quieter. Maybe use a smaller speaker like one from a pc.

markjel
Sunday 5th July 2009, 14:37
Thanks for the advice. Where is the amp located on a c70 convertible, i looked in the boot as I found a link on another site saying it's there on a c70, but I can;t find it on mine, is it nearer the HU on a convertible?

markjel
Friday 10th July 2009, 18:34
I've found the amp and swapped it over but still have got the same problem, all speakers working expect for the two bass speakers in the front doors.

I guess i'm going to have to take the door panels off and test the speaker itself.

Anyone got any other ideas at all?