PDA

View Full Version : who's best for a custom map

jer,c70
Wednesday 1st July 2009, 12:25
who is best for a custom map for my 1999 c70 2.5t me7
i have put on a 3.5" down pipe, sporst cat and 3" stainless.
got rid of the 13g turbo and replaced it with a 19t. i am now looking for some injectors then i need her set up with a custom map.... who are the best people to see?? and without having to break the bank.. lol.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 1st July 2009, 12:53
I think given your location - I would go to HLM. He has successfully tuned both of my ME7 engines with the additional hardware.

not sure how your compression ratio will work out though with it not being a T5??

Wombatbomb
Wednesday 1st July 2009, 13:01
M T E everytime for a custom map.

Enigma666
Wednesday 1st July 2009, 13:52
You try getting hold of Marco to come and do custom work now....the amrket just doesn't seem to be there....he is trying (I am 99% sure) to sell off the shelf maps for custom harware if that makes sense...standard upgrades performed (like the 19T etc) I am sure an ME7 one is easier as the softloader can be used though :)

Contact Don @ Kalmar for MTE :D

Wombatbomb
Wednesday 1st July 2009, 13:57
Tsk, tsk...you're so last year LOL

Marco doesn't even have to be in the country to do custom mapping on an ME7 car ;)

Enigma666
Wednesday 1st July 2009, 14:05

Marco doesn't even have to be in the country to do custom mapping on an ME7 car ;)

Well SOME of us are pre me7 :P (actually that should be :( surely) lol

p fandango
Wednesday 1st July 2009, 14:36
then get a Turbo Tuner ECU & do your own mapping :haha: lol

cameron
Wednesday 1st July 2009, 14:39
Can of Worms comes to mind :doh:

Do some heavy research mate.

I had my 855 T5 done at HLM with the 304 and granted its not an ME7 but ive never had any problems with Hamish :D

If Dave ( Wobbly ) recommends Hamish then id be happy with that ;)

Enigma666
Wednesday 1st July 2009, 14:46
then get a Turbo Tuner ECU & do your own mapping :haha: lol

I've got a VEMS thanks very much :P none of that cheap ass stuff for me lol

Just can't be bothered to unravel the 300miles (well it seems that long) of harness to make up the whole thing lol

jer,c70
Wednesday 1st July 2009, 14:54
I think given your location - I would go to HLM. He has successfully tuned both of my ME7 engines with the additional hardware.

not sure how your compression ratio will work out though with it not being a T5??

the compression ratio of my lpt is 9:0:1 and the t5 is 8:5:1 not much in it ,there for i should be able to run a 19t with out much of a problem.(so i have been told by my local volvo garage)
but i should'nt feel the benifiits untill she has been mapped up.

how do i find HML?

p fandango
Wednesday 1st July 2009, 15:00
I've got a VEMS thanks very much :P none of that cheap ass stuff for me lol

Just can't be bothered to unravel the 300miles (well it seems that long) of harness to make up the whole thing lol
ah you see, 5minutes & its in & ready lol

Enigma666
Wednesday 1st July 2009, 15:10
how do i find HML?

Follow the little blue road :)

Little blue road (http://www.hlmtuning.co.uk/)

850r boy
Wednesday 1st July 2009, 18:01
Hello, If your looking for Grate advice and amazing Service and tuning RT Mechanics all the way. Russ and the Team are unbeatable. Give them a Call...

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 1st July 2009, 23:50
the compression ratio of my lpt is 9:0:1 and the t5 is 8:5:1 not much in it ,there for i should be able to run a 19t with out much of a problem.(so i have been told by my local volvo garage)
but i should'nt feel the benifiits untill she has been mapped up.

how do i find HML?

Yes indeed without the proper software - you can only get minimal benefit for the HW you have attached.

Hamish Lindsay Motorsport - HLM sometimes refered to as Volvotuning/VT are in Bromsgrove which is a 2.5 - 3 hr drive up the M5 from you. I think you will do just fine with them.

I did not realise the C/R was so close. Good luck with what ever you choose.

Alan M
Thursday 2nd July 2009, 08:06
Turbo tuner is only for 4.3 and 4.4 motronic systems. Somebody else you could use for custom mapping is Motorsport developments in Blackpool.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 2nd July 2009, 16:28
Bath to Blackpool - now there is a hike and a half.

Enigma666
Thursday 2nd July 2009, 21:40
Turbo tuner is only for 4.3 and 4.4 motronic systems. Somebody else you could use for custom mapping is Motorsport developments in Blackpool.

IS that Dave? The other Rica retailer?
If it is then he wont do custom maps :( I asked for my T4

volvolised
Thursday 2nd July 2009, 22:03
Heard some good reviews re turbotuner (aka adam..ex VT/HLM). MTE soft loader for me7 is also having rave reviews...me7 rica ppc'd c70 that i was a passenger in on saturday couldn't catch/try to overtake a standard v70 with an mbc(1.2 bar) .....:hidesbehi

p fandango
Friday 3rd July 2009, 14:17
Heard some good reviews re turbotuner (aka adam..ex VT/HLM). MTE soft loader for me7 is also having rave reviews...me7 rica ppc'd c70 that i was a passenger in on saturday couldn't catch/try to overtake a standard v70 with an mbc(1.2 bar) .....:hidesbehi
alot of people under-estimate the power/gains from a MBC :B_thumb:

Knight Rider
Friday 3rd July 2009, 22:51
So MBC is the way to go then??

( Cos i posted a previous thread for my 2.3 T5 )

p fandango
Friday 3rd July 2009, 23:00
So MBC is the way to go then??

( Cos i posted a previous thread for my 2.3 T5 )
i swear by them, altho i've upgraded to an electric boost controller myself

JelT5
Friday 3rd July 2009, 23:29
i swear by them, altho i've upgraded to an electric boost controller myself

Yes, in total agreement on that one. MBC is a brutal little beast...with a map it's rabid; I use my mbc only at the strip now, in conjunction with the HLM304: it showed in my times, 14.84 with mbc, 14.84 with map, 14.63 with map and mbc. Sub 14.5 well within reach.
'nuff said :biggrin:

p fandango
Friday 3rd July 2009, 23:44
Yes, in total agreement on that one. MBC is a brutal little beast...with a map it's rabid; I use my mbc only at the strip now, in conjunction with the HLM304: it showed in my times, 14.84 with mbc, 14.84 with map, 14.63 with map and mbc. Sub 14.5 well within reach.
'nuff said :biggrin:
i got a 14.557 with just an MBC :haha: lol

AlanG
Monday 6th July 2009, 16:10
I run mine with both an HLM re-map and MBC and it's a big blue barrel of laughs:band:

lance
Monday 6th July 2009, 17:09
I didnt think you could MBC an ME7 car!

Wobbly Dave
Monday 6th July 2009, 17:43
You can't AFAIK. It's a bit too clever (sometimes for its own good). Think Alan is in a pre-ME7 (according to the signature)

Wombatbomb
Monday 6th July 2009, 18:01
:stupid:

MIKESC70T5
Monday 6th July 2009, 19:08

that's abit unfair mate tbh. He was always in front of us and i never knew when he was going to go for it,i bottled it at 110 or so, plus he was selling his car the following day, so didn't really care about it plus he was on his own, i had a fat bugger in the passenger seat of mine lol.

volvolised
Monday 6th July 2009, 20:45
that's abit unfair mate tbh. He was always in front of us and i never knew when he was going to go for it,i bottled it at 110 or so, plus he was selling his car the following day, so didn't really care about it plus he was on his own, i had a fat bugger in the passenger seat of mine lol.

Boo Bloody Hoo !! :cry:...........call me fat would you pottsie....:ready2go: i'll see you saturday ..:tombstone lol

AlanG
Monday 6th July 2009, 21:21
You can't AFAIK. It's a bit too clever (sometimes for its own good). Think Alan is in a pre-ME7 (according to the signature)

Yeah Dave,mine is an early OBD11. Point and squirt. As much power as you want with the parameters raised by the re-map. The MBC is a clever little thing. Compromising just now until I get an accurate boost guage,but the dash shows just off the white. Happy:banana:

JelT5
Monday 6th July 2009, 21:30
i got a 14.557 with just an MBC :haha: lol

you're in a manual so it doesn't count lol peepo

just you wait ;)

AlanG
Monday 6th July 2009, 21:40

just you wait ;)

Hey Jel,when I first mentioned that I was running with both the re-map and the MBC it met with big disapproval. Seems it is not uncommon from what I read.peepo

p fandango
Monday 6th July 2009, 22:29
you've got the perfect opertunity to swop to a proper gearbox now mate :wink:

just you wait ;)
don't you worry i'll be waiting..............at the finish line for you :snail: lol

p fandango
Monday 6th July 2009, 22:35
Hey Jel,when I first mentioned that I was running with both the re-map and the MBC it met with big disapproval. Seems it is not uncommon from what I read.peepo
tbh i'm still not fully convinced running the 2 together has any gains, agreed it has on yours becuase your running the MBC inline with the BCS. But running it directly i doubt will make any difference. When i tried the TT performance map it did make the drive smoother but because the Apexi was controlling the boost instead of the ECU it certainly didn't feel like it gave anymore power

my main concern for advising again running the 2 is the removal/raising of the MAF, i know how tempting it is to keep turning the boost up & the first you'll know about it is when Mr Con-rod has gone S shaped. I love going against advice & have been lucky in the fact BT seems to be almost indestructable, & in the fact i'm over the moon with how she now drives. But when it comes to giving other people advice i prefer to aire on the side of caution

AlanG
Monday 6th July 2009, 22:49
Couldn't agree more. I certainly would not advise following my example,after all Volvo specified 225bhp and that being reliable longevity. We all on here know that the original T5 (not 850 turbo) is capable of much more. I think some background basic mechanichal knowledge will always be a bonus. There is a point that you don't cross without advice.HTH to any new members,:blahblah:

AlanG
Monday 6th July 2009, 23:03
The odd thing Ped, was that when I removed the BCS the boost really dropped. Spoke to Hamish and on his instruction,piped it back in and what a difference. I had already gone through and sealed all the leaks. Volvos eh?

p fandango
Monday 6th July 2009, 23:11
The odd thing Ped, was that when I removed the BCS the boost really dropped. Spoke to Hamish and on his instruction,piped it back in and what a difference. I had already gone through and sealed all the leaks. Volvos eh?
no offence intended but i think basically your using the BCS as a secondary bleed valve, the spring in the MBC is to soft & not got enough tension to keep the bearing shut against the pressure so the boost won't go high enough. The BCS is helping by diverting the incoming air away from the MBC to help raise it. I think actually its quite a good system because you've got the intial aggressiveness of the MBC until it reaches the maximum set on that, then with the BCS the boost should start to settle down, be a bit more subtle & ease up at a more gentle rate

AlanG
Monday 6th July 2009, 23:16
All makes sense matey. Works well though and no complaints.

JelT5
Tuesday 7th July 2009, 04:06

Seems to be the case Alan. Works well enough for me...1.4bar on the autobahn was a bit scary though lol

JelT5
Tuesday 7th July 2009, 04:12
you've got the perfect opertunity to swop to a proper gearbox now mate :wink:

shan't so there :haha:

don't you worry i'll be waiting..............at the finish line for you :snail: lol

walked right into that one didn't I ;)

car should be sorted in the next week or so, then off to Bitburg again 19th/20th and a sub 14.5 :)

JelT5
Tuesday 7th July 2009, 04:16

I didn't get a boost drop when I removed the BCS and used the mbc in conjunction with the HLM map; just massive boost pressure :biggrin:

p fandango
Tuesday 7th July 2009, 07:55
Seems to be the case Alan. Works well enough for me...1.4bar on the autobahn was a bit scary though lol
thats about the same as i used to run :crazy: (whats 0.5psi between friends)

http://xs541.xs.to/xs541/09282/interior5425.jpg
i do love that pic

p fandango
Tuesday 7th July 2009, 08:06
walked right into that one didn't I ;)
& it would been rude of me not to use it against you lol

car should be sorted in the next week or so, then off to Bitburg again 19th/20th and a sub 14.5 :)
nice one. So what else you got planned to help get the extra time on the 1/4, or do you think the new gearbox will be enough to give a couple of 0.1's?

you may move above me on the league table after the 19th, but i''ll be back :eclipsee_

JelT5
Tuesday 7th July 2009, 08:51
& it would been rude of me not to use it against you lol

I'd have done exactly the same mate :biggrin:
Did pmsl when I read it

nice one. So what else you got planned to help get the extra time on the 1/4, or do you think the new gearbox will be enough to give a couple of 0.1's?

some of the interior may well go missing- back seats etc every 100lbs=0.1 so gotta try that as I won't be power starting cough cough ;)
can't afford to keep getting new autoboxes sent over every month or so lol

you may move above me on the league table after the 19th, but i''ll be back :eclipsee_

how hard can it be ;)

tbh I don't know whether I will mate and I have no doubt even if I do that you'll grab the slot back again!
Once I've got the cash from my house sale (if it ever sells, someday, maybe never...zzzz) I'll get another T5/R (with a PROPER gearbox) purely for the strip and use the auto to take it there on a trailer!

p fandango
Tuesday 7th July 2009, 09:58
some of the interior may well go missing- back seats etc every 100lbs=0.1 so gotta try that as I won't be power starting cough cough ;)
can't afford to keep getting new autoboxes sent over every month or so lol
empty your screen wash bottle 5.7kg
spare wheel 17.2kg
rear seat back 21.9kg
rear seat base 6.5kg
rear seat belts 3.3kg
passenger seat 27.5kg

= 76.4kg = 168.4lbs

tbh I don't know whether I will mate and I have no doubt even if I do that you'll grab the slot back again!
Once I've got the cash from my house sale (if it ever sells, someday, maybe never...zzzz) I'll get another T5/R (with a PROPER gearbox) purely for the strip and use the auto to take it there on a trailer!
i'm not out to beat anybody just improve myself (well my bro's 13.8 is a target lol). It's going to be a while before i get back on the strip anyway mate. Your obviously very into drag racing so a second car sounds a very good idea. When BT was my daily drive it did start to compromise the car, my mum really didn't like the bucket seats & all you'd get was moaning all the way to Asda :cuckoo:. Plus T-5's are stupidly cheap to pick-up now their getting old :worried:

JelT5
Tuesday 7th July 2009, 10:44
empty your screen wash bottle 5.7kg
spare wheel 17.2kg
rear seat back 21.9kg
rear seat base 6.5kg
rear seat belts 3.3kg
passenger seat 27.5kg

= 76.4kg = 168.4lbs

Exactly that mate- might improve things quite a bit. My target this year is just to get in the lower half of the 14s consistently without power starts; whether it's possible with an auto (with the mods I've done) I don't know!

i'm not out to beat anybody just improve myself (well my bro's 13.8 is a target lol).

Me too mate- just a bit of friendly rivalry ;) I'd just like to get past round 2 of the Bitburg brackets for a change lol

It's going to be a while before i get back on the strip anyway mate. Your obviously very into drag racing so a second car sounds a very good idea. When BT was my daily drive it did start to compromise the car, my mum really didn't like the bucket seats & all you'd get was moaning all the way to Asda :cuckoo:. Plus T-5's are stupidly cheap to pick-up now their getting old :worried:

It's not me, it's the missus! She loves motorsport and obviously forces me to into attending monthly lol life can be sooooo hard!
Second car is the best way to go definitely.
It's a shame these wonderful cars have very little monetary value, but it does help people like us buy them, cherish them and abuse them :)

p fandango
Tuesday 7th July 2009, 14:41
Exactly that mate- might improve things quite a bit. My target this year is just to get in the lower half of the 14s consistently without power starts; whether it's possible with an auto (with the mods I've done) I don't know!
i don't think you'll be fair off mate, possibly a de-cat, RIP kit & possibly enlarged throttle body to help spool the turbo quicker & compesate for not power-starting

Me too mate- just a bit of friendly rivalry ;) I'd just like to get past round 2 of the Bitburg brackets for a change lol
i'll admit i've never tried bracket racing myself, but crewing for my bro & Vanarchy know it aint easy. But all it takes is a good day with the car running consistant times & your laughing. Vanarchy used to be knocked out in the first round of elimations but when he did have a good run managed to get thru into the finals & came home with his expenses covered & a trophy for finishing 2nd. Another female racer managed to run a perfect ET (ran exactly the time she estimated to 0.01 of a second) & that was at her first race meeting, she was in an auto

It's not me, it's the missus! She loves motorsport and obviously forces me to into attending monthly lol life can be sooooo hard!
Second car is the best way to go definitely.
It's a shame these wonderful cars have very little monetary value, but it does help people like us buy them, cherish them and abuse them :)
i don't know how yuo put up with her forcing you to do such things mate lol. I've got no intention of selling mine (not that anyone will buy it anyway lol) so you might as well do what you want to them

Engineer
Tuesday 7th July 2009, 17:33
M T E everytime for a custom map.

You try getting hold of Marco to come and do custom work now....the amrket just doesn't seem to be there....he is trying (I am 99% sure) to sell off the shelf maps for custom harware if that makes sense...standard upgrades performed (like the 19T etc) I am sure an ME7 one is easier as the softloader can be used though :)

Contact Don @ Kalmar for MTE :D

Marco is back in the country next week so if you fancy a one on one MTE custom map give Don a bell :smile: