PDA

View Full Version : lpg on a ricad 850

stevie69
Monday 29th June 2009, 17:07
im thinking of getting lpg on my t5 as im sick of running around in a diesel passat.will it be fine and roughly how much does it cost?thanks..

Alan M
Monday 29th June 2009, 17:19
There are some owners over on T5D5 with LPG'd mapped T5 models.

cameron
Monday 29th June 2009, 17:21
Pault5estate has LPG'd his T5 but not chipped it yet :)

He could tell you what they are like before its chipped, iirc it cost him £1800 for his kit :yikes:

stevie69
Monday 29th June 2009, 17:40
that much!!i keep trying other cars that are better on fuel than my t5 till i manage to get a job.iv had a 440 a s40 and now a passat diesel but theyve all been crap.im thinking this would be a better option.

5seaterT5x2
Monday 29th June 2009, 19:03
that much!!i keep trying other cars that are better on fuel than my t5 till i manage to get a job.iv had a 440 a s40 and now a passat diesel but theyve all been crap.im thinking this would be a better option.

shop around you will get it for less, are you in the south east or anywhere near east london? my local guys i think mine was £1500 but i've got their number and i would have no hesitation at all in recomending them.

stevie69
Monday 29th June 2009, 19:06
cheers.im pretty close to edinburgh tho..

Nico20V
Wednesday 15th July 2009, 17:44
I've got my 98'V70R converted to LPG. Costs more than 1500 cos you need a kit larger than 4 cylinders. I paid 1875 in N.Yorks. Systems great as switches automatically when you run out of lpg and when you want to restore full grunt with the v-power I keep in reserve, you just hit the button and the switch is instantaneous back to unleaded.

Some might ask why on earth you'd want to chip a T5R if you were bothered about economy, but the savings can't be ignored and as i commute in this car too, I can't imagine anything more perfect than running at 220 bhp on LPG @ 48.9/litre, then at the hit of a switch, being able to run 300 bhp with the tuned programme.

I did ask (RICA I think) about their system running with my LPG install, and they said flatly - no it wouldn't work. Am guna see what HLM suggest is poss.

Volvostorm
Wednesday 15th July 2009, 21:22
Yes, Mine is lpg'd, and no its not chipped, though it may in the future ;)

It did cost £1700, that's for a BRC Sequent 56 kit, which is a multi-point kit, the power output is nearly the same as petrol, at the last rolling road day, it was run on lpg, you can see on the graph where it changed over to petrol, this happened at 5000rpm, so daily driving i never use petrol, in fact in the 4 months i've had it converted, I've put £20 of petrol in her.

I asked about chipping when the company did mine, they said it was no problem, have it done, then they wil tweak the lpg ecu, in fact, they were hinting that its not a bad idea! :P On my kit, the petrol ecu 'controls' the lpg injectors too, and there are bigger injectors available.

Another thing, LPG cars don't need cats, on an MOT the limit for lpg cars is 3.5%CO regardless on the year, I've had mine de-catted, goes and sounds a lot better

timbo_1975
Wednesday 15th July 2009, 21:37
If yours switches back to petrol for full power, then you dont have the LPG system set up right, may need a larger vap or injectors, or the installer is not really certain of what they are doing.

Volvostorm
Wednesday 15th July 2009, 21:56
Been told that's how it works to protect the engine, even says it does it in the handbook.

On the road, unless I get it death, it never changes over, unless its empty.

Only a button press to get it back on gas