PDA

View Full Version : I've done it! Some changes to the barge

RobbieH
Sunday 28th June 2009, 20:55
:bounce:
Had all the following fitted :

week before last:
two Goodyear Excellence 225/45/17 fronts (rears on F1 GSD3's)

last week:
exchange wishbones with Powerflex front bushes, Volvo rears
Sachs Supertouring front shocks, Boge rears
Febi front spring mounts
(all courtesy of V70torslanda, cheers John:wavey: :B_thumb:)

Eibach springs (30mm drop)
IPD front drop links
Volvo original rear drop links (old ones wouldn't come apart when the changed shocks, but they looked a little knacked at any rate)
Wheel alignment and adjustment

Also new PAS reservior (old one was leaking) and Powerflexed the lower engine/gearbox torque mount.

What a complete difference, combined with the engine brace conversion plus the T5D5 group buy UltraRacing strut brace, the handling is totally changed and way to the better. Still got the nice Volvo ride but just so much more positive and confidence building plus much flatter in cornering. I'm well happy with it now.

I was organising a cycle race yesterday which involves driving round the race circuit putting up the various warning signs we have to put up under our regulations, combined with having to set up the HQ, results service, etc and riding the race meant I had to "make progress" as one of my old advanced driving tutors put it. So a good combination of motorway, dual carraigeway, main A-roads, B-roads and unclassifieds combined with a good few corners of various shapes and sizes really allowed me to test the new setup. I think I've found new limits to put it mildly. Just so impressed with this setup. I'm chuffed.

Next stop, new brakes and remap. Just got to start saving again.

The only downside is the vibration from P'flexing the lower torque mount is killing me ears. The vibration at idle is 'orrible, the wheels shake, even the spoiler is vibrating and it drones at speed which I can see it might lead to headaches over a long journey (and we're due to drive to the French Alps in August) so may have to go back to an original Volvo version if this doesn't get much better.

Thanks to all on here who replied to my questions and helped me on to these decisions. Next topic - brakes, but that's later.

v70torslanda
Sunday 28th June 2009, 21:16
New pics!

J

RobbieH
Sunday 28th June 2009, 21:27
New pics!

J

To follow. There's a rather large hole appeared in the road in front of the house where the ground under the road has caved in so no chance of parking the barge in the same spot where I took a load of piccies on Wednesday before it went in for the changes. Patience please :wavey:

Yes, I know what you said but I just couldn't resist the Eibachs :sorry: :biggrin:

RobbieH
Sunday 28th June 2009, 21:38
Oh all right then. I did just take a couple of quick piccies outside the headquarters at Allostock village hall. So just to quench your thirst so to speak..........

cornclose
Sunday 28th June 2009, 21:52
Cheers Robbie, I hope to be doing a similar writeup and be similarly chuffed in about a week's time when I have my new setup installed !

v70torslanda
Sunday 28th June 2009, 21:59
How come your car's so clean?

It's been p****ng down on mine for the last fortnight!

J

v70torslanda
Sunday 28th June 2009, 22:06
Seriously. It looks great! I bet it handles a treat too. I want a go.

Chris took me for a little drive in his T5 yesterday. That RICA is summat else. Frightened the bloody daylights out of me inside 2 miles! That's going to handle sweet in a couple of weeks. Once we're all modded up we should have a mini meet and be real saddos!

J

dave stew
Monday 29th June 2009, 08:21
I too will be saddo who will be part of this P2 modifying odyssey! I have a set of four Sachs 'Advantage' dampers in my garage (thanks for dropping them off John) so will be fitting these in the coming week. Should be interesting to see how they differ to Super Tourings, especially after a quick blast in John's so equipped D5 over the Nottingham Communist Party's speed ramps on our road last Saturday.

timbo_1975
Monday 29th June 2009, 10:19
Oh all right then. I did just take a couple of quick piccies outside the headquarters at Allostock village hall. So just to quench your thirst so to speak..........

To my eyes, the stance now (30mm less) looks like how the V70 should look from the showroom!

RobbieH
Saturday 4th July 2009, 18:39
Some before and after piccies for info.

Before
http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy61/RobHV70/BeforeloweringA.jpg
http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy61/RobHV70/BeforeloweringC.jpg

After
http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy61/RobHV70/AfterlowringA.jpg
http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy61/RobHV70/AfterloweringB.jpg

Proper numpty that I am though, I forgot to measure the actual drop :slap:.

RobbieH
Saturday 4th July 2009, 18:49
And this is what came off....

http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy61/RobHV70/Knackeredbits.jpg

thebadger
Thursday 9th July 2009, 09:14
Why do the drop links always look like they've been left in the sea for a year!

I'm sure they could make something better than the mild steel backs on them. I doubt that coating them in hammerite would help them much either! :(

Just shortly I shall do something nice to my car! But I will pay dearly for it!

cornclose
Friday 10th July 2009, 09:08
And this is what came off....

http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy61/RobHV70/Knackeredbits.jpg

I have a box similar to that in my garage... :smile:

thebadger
Friday 10th July 2009, 09:12
Me too, I have a set of D5 springs & a full set of goosed droplinks, also 2 grilles & a set of comets which need a refurb.

Need to do a tidy up!

RobbieH
Friday 10th July 2009, 09:31
I'm sure they could make something better than the mild steel backs on them. I doubt that coating them in hammerite would help them much either! :(

With the amount of salt the local council use, especially last winter, I might as well have parked it in the sea :mad:. You should have seen a pair of wheels I had on my work bike - the bare aluminium braking surfaces almost had holes rotted in them :eek:

RobbieH
Friday 10th July 2009, 09:35
Me too, I have a set of D5 springs & a full set of goosed droplinks, also 2 grilles & a set of comets which need a refurb.

Need to do a tidy up!

What sort of grilles are talking of here then? I have an idea for a small mod but I need a spare one to play with rather than mucking mine up. Any chance of getting my grubby mits on one if they fit a V70 P2 (54 plate)? At cost of course.

RobbieH
Friday 10th July 2009, 09:38

Well then, pray do tell us more. I'm intrigued!

mikouk
Friday 10th July 2009, 10:00
Looking great Robbie, glad you're happy! Looks much meaner.

The only downside is the vibration from P'flexing the lower torque mount is killing me ears. The vibration at idle is 'orrible

I had a ride in Redbricks that had this aswell. Great when moving but I thought the car was going to fall apart when idleing. I think all mine needs now is the IPD ARB's and I will be happy, ish. Oh and better Brakes, Oh and better tyres, oh and.........

I'm still not happy with the suspension though. It seems like things are getting worse. Its like the shocks are dying already. Redbrick had a go in mine and hated it. Its great when you want to make 'progress' but normal driving is horrendous. It bangs and crashes over the smallest of bumps. I need to find someone with the same setup to compare and contrast. I wonder whether the shocks are faulty. Any way of telling?

cornclose
Friday 10th July 2009, 10:21
I think Redbrick has the Volvo sports chassis that I've just fitted to mine. Firms the car up no end, nice and tight, no roll in the bends, and yet still maintains the armchair ride. Really impressed with it.

Redbrick
Friday 10th July 2009, 11:07
Just to clarify- it did have what you have now got, the 'dynamic sports chassis'.

Due to the 100K+ on the clock I have swopped the front shocks for Bilstein B6's but kept the springs all round and the rear self levellers.

The ride in mikouk's FSD/ Eibach equipped T5 confirmed I had made the right choice keeping the original springs and going down the Bilstein route.

I now have the IPD front ARB on, combined with the Ultra Racing strut brace and QBM strut bar conversion. OMG what a difference. Big grin on my face hunting out corners :D

cornclose
Friday 10th July 2009, 11:37
It was my biggest fear - ruining the ride. That's why I went with the Volvo kit, albeit somewhat firmer than a standard T5 setup. I'm really pleased with it now. In addition to the Dynamic Sports Chassis kit (springs/shocks all round), I went with the optional thicker/stiffer rear ARB, and whilst at it, replaced the rear top mounts, rear drop links, front spring seats, front top mounts, front ball joints, front wishbone bushes (powerflex) and used the uprated IPD front drop links too. Also threw on a pair of new lock stops for good measure....

Then I refitted my Ultra Racing strut bar. As you can imagine, the difference was noticable!

Overall the car is also now slightly lower (by about 10mm, the kit quotes upto 15mm...) which I'm sure also helps a bit. This is despite having new Nivo's on the rear, which, after reading all the reports of 'arse sticking in the air' and 'bad ride' I have to say none of this is present.

If it stays like it is now and handles as well when it's loaded up a bit it'll confirm even more that I made the right decision...

RobbieH
Friday 10th July 2009, 13:07
:worthless

We need to see........

RobbieH
Friday 10th July 2009, 13:18
I feel the need for a meet up later this year to compare and contrast.

RobbieH
Friday 10th July 2009, 13:40
Looking great Robbie, glad you're happy! Looks much meaner.
Quote:
The only downside is the vibration from P'flexing the lower torque mount is killing me ears. The vibration at idle is 'orrible

I had a ride in Redbricks that had this aswell. Great when moving but I thought the car was going to fall apart when idleing. I think all mine needs now is the IPD ARB's and I will be happy, ish. Oh and better Brakes, Oh and better tyres, oh and.........

I'm still not happy with the suspension though. It seems like things are getting worse. Its like the shocks are dying already. Redbrick had a go in mine and hated it. Its great when you want to make 'progress' but normal driving is horrendous. It bangs and crashes over the smallest of bumps. I need to find someone with the same setup to compare and contrast. I wonder whether the shocks are faulty. Any way of telling?

Thanks for positive comments.

Should be interesting tomorrow to see what my Dad thinks when he comes over for a visit. He's got a bog standard P2 2.4 (140) and doesn't really have any idea what I've been up to.

The Powerflexed lower mount is too much for me now. John (V70t) sat in it earlier this week and his face told me eveything.
Although it has setttled down to an extenrt, and as much as I love the engine noise at speed and the improved gear change, it's going to have to come off and be replaced with a new Volvo original. I still do a certain amount of trundling around town and the vibration is too much and I'm worried what that might do to in the long term, especially to the other engine mounts. Given the state of the my wishbone bushes I dread to think what the engine mounts might look like.

I'm suprised to hear you aren't happy with your setup and something definitely doesn't sound right but I'm no expert in this so can't comment MUCH MORE. I think you need to talk to others who have a similar setup. Iirc, "loadsamiles" has Koni's/ Eibachs and maybe "thebadger".

Next step for is probably brake upgrade. I've got a line on some T5 calipers and carriers so in the autumn if the pennies are OK, it's new discs and pads all round plus T5 front calipers. THEN I can start thinking of a remap.

cornclose
Friday 10th July 2009, 13:45
:worthless

We need to see........

It looks pretty much how it did before, as I said, only lowered by 10mm (used a tape measure!). Will get some more pics though next time it's clean...

cornclose
Friday 10th July 2009, 13:51
...and the improved gear change

That's something I wasn't expecting on my Geartronic (slushbox as Dave calls it...), but it has improved the gearchange! Tighter, quicker, more solid now. I like I like I like...

mikouk
Friday 10th July 2009, 13:54
I'm suprised to hear you aren't happy with your setup and something definitely doesn't sound right but I'm no expert in this so can't comment MUCH MORE. I think you need to talk to others who have a similar setup. Iirc, "loadsamiles" has Koni's/ Eibachs and maybe "thebadger".

Good plan mate I will start another thread.

Redbrick
Friday 10th July 2009, 13:59
Next step for is probably brake upgrade. I've got a line on some T5 calipers and carriers so in the autumn if the pennies are OK, it's new discs and pads all round plus T5 front calipers. THEN I can start thinking of a remap.

Mine D5 came with T5 calipers and 286 discs. It was a simple upgrade to 305's just with the caliper carriers. Ask Rufe whats on your car already. Unless your going the ex-police route and going 320?

thebadger
Friday 10th July 2009, 14:46
Ok, I'll 'fess up! I just took delivery of a set of FSD konis, these will go on with my apex springs. I have not fitted them yet, that will be a job for next week!

I have yet to decide if it's worth the money to get powerflex bushes fitted to the wishbones... jury's still out on that one. Also I'm getting the turbo seals checked, as the car feels a bit sluggish. Next is the uprated TCV fitting (has been sitting for months!) as I have now changed the hoses for the TCV.

Final plans are to refurb my comets which have been hiding under the caravan till now, but have moved to the garage after all the rubbish was removed!

@ robbie, I have 3 grilles, 1 oem from the V70 (standard, less its slash) 1 off an S60 (eggcrate, no slash again, can you see where this is going?) and a black mesh one, with a slash & a home made moose sheild badge! (had one spare so did without the squared badge!)....

What's the project you have in mind?

RobbieH
Friday 10th July 2009, 17:31
Mine D5 came with T5 calipers and 286 discs. It was a simple upgrade to 305's just with the caliper carriers. Ask Rufe whats on your car already. Unless your going the ex-police route and going 320?

Already checked with Rufe and it's fitted with 286's all round :frown:.

From what I understand, the calipers on such a setup have smaller pistons than the genuine T5 calipers. There's little point is going to a bigger disc if can't also get matching calipers (from what I understand, this is, after reading various threads on exactly this topic, VPCUK, T5D5 and VOC, so I've done my homework).
I've seen the 320mm upgrade pack on PFS but that's £500ish without calipers. :eek: I've seen T5 calipers on fleabay at 25 notes per corner and I'll probably stick with standard Volvo discs and pads but with braided lines and new fluid. Not going on a track so don't need mahoosive discs.

RobbieH
Friday 10th July 2009, 17:40
Ok, I'll 'fess up! I just took delivery of a set of FSD konis, these will go on with my apex springs. I have not fitted them yet, that will be a job for next week!

I have yet to decide if it's worth the money to get powerflex bushes fitted to the wishbones... jury's still out on that one. Also I'm getting the turbo seals checked, as the car feels a bit sluggish. Next is the uprated TCV fitting (has been sitting for months!) as I have now changed the hoses for the TCV.

Final plans are to refurb my comets which have been hiding under the caravan till now, but have moved to the garage after all the rubbish was removed!

@ robbie, I have 3 grilles, 1 oem from the V70 (standard, less its slash) 1 off an S60 (eggcrate, no slash again, can you see where this is going?) and a black mesh one, with a slash & a home made moose sheild badge! (had one spare so did without the squared badge!)....

What's the project you have in mind?

Koni's and Apex - another combo for the undecided.

Well if you're messing with the boingy bits, I wouldn't have thought it would be much more to get the bones poly'd. Worth it imho. Don't know what your bushes look like (ooh er missus) but mine were well knackered and the cars only got 65K on the clock!

Grilles: just got an idea for a subtle mod to the nose. I don't think an egg-crate would look proper nor a black mesh (not with my muddy green colour LOL). But I'd rather practice on another one before possibly mucking up mine.
How much do you want for the de-badged OEM one?

cornclose
Friday 10th July 2009, 19:58
Poly bushes on wishbones - well worth it from what I've experienced... Although the front one is probably a lot more important than the rear one. I have stock ones on the rear of the wishbones.

thebadger
Saturday 11th July 2009, 01:40
Just thinking of the cost of getting it sorted at the same time! Could save me some cash in the long run!

RobbieH
Wednesday 15th July 2009, 18:49
Well, changed the lower torque mount today. Howard had kept the original torque mount so wipped out the small bush, which was on its way out, and plugged in the Powerflex one. Large bush is left as original Volvo and actually looks OK.

Gone are the hellish vibrations which is the main thing. The gear change isn't as positive as the fully Powerflexed mount and you certainly lose some of the noise as well (not that it was that intrusive). Shame you also lose the turbo-spooling noise (I think that was what I could hear at any rate - damn is that too much of a chav thing to admit too :sorry: ).

Ah, peace and harmony back in the cabin :B_steerin

Looks like like I might have a large Powerflex bush for sale later :wink:.

Redbrick
Thursday 16th July 2009, 14:15
Already checked with Rufe and it's fitted with 286's all round :frown:.

From what I understand, the calipers on such a setup have smaller pistons than the genuine T5 calipers. There's little point is going to a bigger disc if can't also get matching calipers (from what I understand, this is, after reading various threads on exactly this topic, VPCUK, T5D5 and VOC, so I've done my homework).
I've seen the 320mm upgrade pack on PFS but that's £500ish without calipers. :eek: I've seen T5 calipers on fleabay at 25 notes per corner and I'll probably stick with standard Volvo discs and pads but with braided lines and new fluid. Not going on a track so don't need mahoosive discs.

Just for the record I've just measured the pistons on my D5 calipers at 60mm. This confirms what two Volvo parts departments have told me; that my calipers are the same as those fitted to a T5. The other size, of the lesser D5 caliper, is 57mm. I've also 'done my homework'. All I'm saying is get your tape measure out before your wallet if you go for the bigger 305 discs.
HTH. Andy

RobbieH
Friday 17th July 2009, 17:33
Quick update to confound and confuse.

It turns out that I've actually got a Powerflex large bush but a Volvo small bush. Sounds strange but that's what I'm informed :confused:.

So it's the smaller bush that is responsible for the godawful vibrations. Powerflex material is too stiff for the job methinks. Anyone know if the Superflex equivalents to Powerflex are softer?