PDA

View Full Version : CV boot repair

Diesel64
Saturday 27th June 2009, 18:00
Been underneath the car today to see what's what after failing it's MOT.

Failed on the CV gaitor (split). When I've had a look, it's a teenie-tiny (less than 2mm) hole! I have a spare, but am on the clock to get it back for the re-test and was wondering if I could get away with just patching up the hole with superglue and a bit of inner tube?

I'll then do the job properly when I'm uprating the disks/shocks in the next few months.

Any opinions? Would the MOT centre still fail the CV gaitor if it was patched?

Thanks in advance..

t5 pete
Saturday 27th June 2009, 20:24
Unsure weather they would allow that but if you nip to volvo or gsf or euro car parts and get a new boot itdoesnt take too long to replace then easily done in the day.
Better to be safe than sorry

Bob France
Sunday 28th June 2009, 18:19
How much gear has to be removed to change boot ,tech job?

t5 pete
Sunday 28th June 2009, 19:47
Off the top of my head everything that ataches to the hub appart from drive shaft then depending on which side its on theres a bracket that holds the drive shaft up on the drivers side.
Then pull the shaft out of the gear box, also if on the drivers side the shaft will have to be seprated to allow a new boot to be put on ide say for some ones first time and reading from the haynes it would take no longer that a day.
Hope this helps pete

CONDYBOY
Tuesday 30th June 2009, 21:22
You can get quick fit cv boots that you cut to size then glue right along the edge, I personally don't trust these in the long term but as your after a quick fix pop into your local parts shop and ask for a universal cv boot.
cut off your old one and fit the new one by glueing it along the seam and clamping only takes about ten minutes and is MOT safe.

Diesel64
Wednesday 1st July 2009, 00:18
You can get quick fit cv boots that you cut to size then glue right along the edge, I personally don't trust these in the long term but as your after a quick fix pop into your local parts shop and ask for a universal cv boot.
cut off your old one and fit the new one by glueing it along the seam and clamping only takes about ten minutes and is MOT safe.

Cheers mate, Looked at the split types, but I don't trust them either.

Spoke to the MOT centre and they don't recommend trying my luck with a patch and I already have a spare CV boot in my box of bits, so I've taken tomorrow off (weather permitting) to crack on and get it done. Bit gutted, seeing how small the hole is, but rules are rules...

Babybadger
Wednesday 1st July 2009, 21:19
Cheers mate, Looked at the split types, but I don't trust them either.

Spoke to the MOT centre and they don't recommend trying my luck with a patch and I already have a spare CV boot in my box of bits, so I've taken tomorrow off (weather permitting) to crack on and get it done. Bit gutted, seeing how small the hole is, but rules are rules...

I just had my outer one done for MOT, apparently they can't fail you on the inner ones , only the outer ones.

Diesel64
Wednesday 1st July 2009, 23:30
apparently they can't fail you on the inner ones , only the outer ones.

That's good to know! Sadly, it's the outer CV for me...

Is it that they can't fail you, or is it that they just don't check? lol!

Babybadger
Thursday 2nd July 2009, 01:34
That's good to know! Sadly, it's the outer CV for me...

Is it that they can't fail you, or is it that they just don't check? lol!

Both I think!

Tim Williams
Thursday 2nd July 2009, 11:11
They should take no more than 30 mins a side. Support car safely remove wheel and remove bottom ball joint pinch bolt and lower the arm, the track rod end or the caliper and then you can cut the old one off and release the circlip in the cv so that the shaft can be separated from the cv. Now clean the old grease out and fit new boot onto the shaft and reassemble. It can be hard to remove the CV from the shaft but it should just knock off. I did two in front of ChrisS70 in under 40 mins so an hour to do both is fair.