PDA

View Full Version : oops...

JelT5
Saturday 27th June 2009, 16:16
Think my autobox possibly went to transmission heaven today; was out for a drive w' t' missus, enjoying the lovely country around Metz (and punishing the occasional Audi/ Seat/ etc driver). We were just getting back into Metz and suddenly no drive/ no reverse...anyway, it's been trailered off to our local garagiste for diagnosis on Monday...ho hum...

Before anyone says "I warned you about power starting" just don't ok?! lol

So, I may be looking for another autobox soon plus postage to France; suggestions?
If the existing one is "unhappy" I'll hang onto it and rebuild to a better spec at some point, even if that means getting custom parts machined.

Now in diesel, minging, stinky, horrible old Skoda Fabia. Bleeeeuugh!

p fandango
Saturday 27th June 2009, 16:17
damn sorry to hear that mate (get a manual :wink:)

JelT5
Saturday 27th June 2009, 16:38
damn sorry to hear that mate (get a manual :wink:)

Obviously you mean that about me being in a Skoda ;) lol

Manual would be good but as I've no facilities to do any work myself (other than minor tweaks) at the moment it'd probably cost too much :(

I assume a serious fault throws a code/ light on the dash or does it?

t5 pete
Saturday 27th June 2009, 16:55
I warned you about power starting sorry but it had to be said lol
theres normally pleanty of auto boxes on ebay the main problem would be the price of shipping.

JelT5
Saturday 27th June 2009, 18:34
Theres always one hey Pete? ;)

Don't doubt I'll be on ebay soon mate :)

Bob France
Saturday 27th June 2009, 18:52
Jerry,before you get in a flap ,check the electronics and diagnostics[has yours got the diagnostics plug under the coin holder?]if so,could just be that,had a similer problem with my old T5 and done a self test[older model]after the reset,BINGO!!! Just a thought!!!
I will be taking "the Terminator"[LOL]back over to the UK in Sept,so, if needed give me a call.
Hope all ends well.

p fandango
Saturday 27th June 2009, 18:57
Obviously you mean that about me being in a Skoda ;) lol
was going to say sorry about being in a Skoda & a Diesel but suppose i should just limit the p*ss taking just Skoda's now lol

Manual would be good but as I've no facilities to do any work myself (other than minor tweaks) at the moment it'd probably cost too much :(
i got my ST gearbox for £50, but then its the bits like gearlever, cables, clutch pedal & the little bits thats a pain to source that builds the price up

I assume a serious fault throws a code/ light on the dash or does it?
it depends on the fault, it can obviously only monitor the electrics of the box so burnt oil, torque converter failure etc the ECU won't know about, i don't know much about auto's tbh

JelT5
Saturday 27th June 2009, 19:18
She'll be sorted (hopefully) for the next brackets at Bitburg mate :biggrin:

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 27th June 2009, 19:20
<cough><cough>powerstarts<cough><cough> ahem, sorry had to clear my throat. All better now LOL

p fandango
Saturday 27th June 2009, 19:21
She'll be sorted (hopefully) for the next brackets at Bitburg mate :biggrin:
yeh, fingers crossed for you & hope its nothing major

JelT5
Saturday 27th June 2009, 19:21
Jerry,before you get in a flap ,check the electronics and diagnostics[has yours got the diagnostics plug under the coin holder?]if so,could just be that,had a similer problem with my old T5 and done a self test[older model]after the reset,BINGO!!! Just a thought!!!
I will be taking "the Terminator"[LOL]back over to the UK in Sept,so, if needed give me a call.
Hope all ends well.

Thanks Bob, yes it's got the diagnostics plug under the coin flap. I don't have a code reader so can't do it myself, but I'll make sure it's done!

JelT5
Saturday 27th June 2009, 19:22
<cough><cough>powerstarts<cough><cough> ahem, sorry had to clear my throat. All better now LOL

eh? eh? eh? must be the battery in my hearing aid needs changing...did someone say something about apple tarts ;)

JelT5
Saturday 27th June 2009, 19:23
yeh, fingers crossed for you & hope its nothing major

It'll be fine mate- I have every confidence in the "vehicle of major punishment"
:)

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 27th June 2009, 19:44
eh? eh? eh? must be the battery in my hearing aid needs changing...did someone say something about apple tarts ;)

No, Power Farts LOL

Filterlab
Saturday 27th June 2009, 20:54
Sorry to hear of your woes Jerry. However, having had many an autobox failure over the years, sometimes it can be the simplest thing - in your case it sounds like fluid loss so you may be lucky.

Fingers crossed for you mate. :)

JelT5
Saturday 27th June 2009, 22:33
No, Power Farts LOL

:biggrin:

JelT5
Saturday 27th June 2009, 22:39
Sorry to hear of your woes Jerry. However, having had many an autobox failure over the years, sometimes it can be the simplest thing - in your case it sounds like fluid loss so you may be lucky.

Fingers crossed for you mate. :)

Thanks Rob. I think it is something pretty simple, so not overly worried tbh; worst case is a "new" secondhand box and T5 comes back to life again :)

Filterlab
Saturday 27th June 2009, 22:41
Can't kill a good T5! :)

JelT5
Monday 29th June 2009, 11:54
Can't kill a good T5! :)

Absolutely mate!

Have sourced a box in the UK, delivered to France £350; which doesn't seem too bad considering the delivery charge is £125 (erk!).
Will find out today whether or not I need it- fingers, legs etc crossed.
Off topic here: Top Gear was great last night, oh to be a 17 year old again lol ;)