PDA

View Full Version : A Big thanks to R T Mechanics

Bob Stubbs
Saturday 27th June 2009, 14:07
Well, having been reading this forum for a few months now I decided to go for a bit of a performance uplift on my 2003 V70 T5.

As seems to have been everyone's experience here, I had a really helpful exchange of e-mails with Russ first and booked the car in with him for a "once over" and fitting of the RICA PPC upgrade. This took a bit of planning as for me, it's a 1200 mile round trip, but as I had some business to fit in, it seemed like a plan.

I have had the car for just over a year had had it "maintained" by a local independent who claimed to know the cars well. However, to cut a long story short, Russ and his team have transformed the car, curing a brake judder and sloppy handling with some very overdue maintenance of steering arms, ball joints, discs and a whole lot more. Basic service items, like fuel filter, appeared to have never been done in the cars life (and it was dealer maintained in its first 4 years of life).

Then the RICA was installed last and required a software patch or some such modification to get it to work correctly on the car. Russ spent a fair bit of time puzzling over the cause of the problem but he stuck with it and got it sorted.

The run back was excellent and the car pulls like a train; feels safe and stable and is returning similar fuel consumption as it used to.

Lessons for me are:

1 Even franchised dealers skip on the basics
2 The cheap and cheerful independent I have been using won't be seeing my car again!
3 R T Mechanics deserve all the plaudits they get off this site and Russ can count me as one of his very satisfied customers.

As a side note, I also run an old classic sports car (TR6) and the Register website's equivalent forum doesn't allow the naming and praising (or otherwise) of suppliers, which frankly I think is nuts, especially after my experience with R T M.

Time to head off out and go for another blast.........the car is rather addictive all of a sudden.

Bob

850r boy
Saturday 27th June 2009, 16:18
Russ and his team Are Grate at what they do, they did worked on my 850r its like a different car now, He's a TOP MAN would recommend him to any Volvo owner. Thanks

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 27th June 2009, 16:27
1200 miles?!? where on earth do you live?

Its ok found it, Inverness. Bloody long drive there matey! But a lovely place to be.

Bob Stubbs
Saturday 27th June 2009, 20:03
Yeah, it is a fair way away I guess Bomb, but well worth the trip in my view and a great chance to play with the car on the way back :-)

Must admit, I enjoyed my jaunt round the New Forest while Russ and Co were busy on the car.............

Apart from the journey down, if I'd just ordered the RICA from Russ and had it sent up, it wouldn't have installed first off and I'd have never have had someone giving it some serious TLC, by the looks of it, for the first time since it left the showroom.

You live and learn.......even at my age ........

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 27th June 2009, 20:25
a great chance to play with the car on the way back :-)

Once you get north of Glasgow!

RT MECHANICS
Sunday 28th June 2009, 17:07
Well, having been reading this forum for a few months now I decided to go for a bit of a performance uplift on my 2003 V70 T5.

As seems to have been everyone's experience here, I had a really helpful exchange of e-mails with Russ first and booked the car in with him for a "once over" and fitting of the RICA PPC upgrade. This took a bit of planning as for me, it's a 1200 mile round trip, but as I had some business to fit in, it seemed like a plan.

I have had the car for just over a year had had it "maintained" by a local independent who claimed to know the cars well. However, to cut a long story short, Russ and his team have transformed the car, curing a brake judder and sloppy handling with some very overdue maintenance of steering arms, ball joints, discs and a whole lot more. Basic service items, like fuel filter, appeared to have never been done in the cars life (and it was dealer maintained in its first 4 years of life).

Then the RICA was installed last and required a software patch or some such modification to get it to work correctly on the car. Russ spent a fair bit of time puzzling over the cause of the problem but he stuck with it and got it sorted.

The run back was excellent and the car pulls like a train; feels safe and stable and is returning similar fuel consumption as it used to.

Lessons for me are:

1 Even franchised dealers skip on the basics
2 The cheap and cheerful independent I have been using won't be seeing my car again!
3 R T Mechanics deserve all the plaudits they get off this site and Russ can count me as one of his very satisfied customers.

As a side note, I also run an old classic sports car (TR6) and the Register website's equivalent forum doesn't allow the naming and praising (or otherwise) of suppliers, which frankly I think is nuts, especially after my experience with R T M.

Time to head off out and go for another blast.........the car is rather addictive all of a sudden.

Bob

Hi Bob

Many thanks for the kind words and coming all the way to see us we are not exactly down the road , i hope the run home was quicker than 12 hours thanks again i hope you enjoy your Rica upgrade :)

Russ

RT MECHANICS
Sunday 28th June 2009, 17:09
Russ and his team Are Grate at what they do, they did worked on my 850r its like a different car now, He's a TOP MAN would recommend him to any Volvo owner. Thanks

Hi 850Rboy

Many thanks your lucky you don't have to drive 12 hours to get to us :)

Russ

AndysR
Monday 6th July 2009, 23:07
Always good to hear that someone is happy with their car after a Rica, sounds like Russ and team are up to their usual standards too :)

AlanG
Monday 6th July 2009, 23:50
Recommend it to all Volvo turbo owners,Hamish is an honest person. True to his word.

Tomcat
Tuesday 7th July 2009, 09:40
Recommend it to all Volvo turbo owners,Hamish is an honest person. True to his word.

I presume you mean Russ Alan, this is a thread about RT mate...:insane: