PDA

View Full Version : Blasted Cup Holder...

cornclose
Wednesday 24th June 2009, 18:28
...the one that springs out of the dash and is supposed to hold the cup. Well, mine doesn't (hasn't since I got the V70) but now it won't stay put folded away in the dash, it sticks out all the time. Won't 'catch' into the dash.

Anyone know how I can remove the thing from the dash so have a look at the mechanism ?

volvokid
Wednesday 24th June 2009, 18:52
Dont know how it comes out, but does it still have the 2 rubber inserts at the top that grab the cup? I lost one of my dads ones they fall out easy and have been meaning to steal one from some place.

cornclose
Wednesday 24th June 2009, 19:06
Yes it does - it's all there, but since I've had it it's never 'gripped' the cup at all, but rather the cup just sits in it without being held so to speak.

But now when I try to push it home into the dash it just pops out again - looks very untidy!

S60-MBS
Wednesday 24th June 2009, 19:15
http://volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/pdf/xc_center_console_removal.pdf

and this if fancy repairing its mechanism

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpost.php?p=305230&postcount=13

mikouk
Wednesday 24th June 2009, 19:18
Had a look in the haynes manual and it seems to be a case of taking the HU out.

I have the phone unit instead of the cup holder but that came out when I took the HU out so its probably the same with the Cup holder.

So basically prise the pen holder out and release the torx screws to release the climate control unit. Don't unplug it! Then release the screws for the HU and take that out and hopefully the cupholder will come out too.

Hope that helps

Mark

mikouk
Wednesday 24th June 2009, 19:19
dammit he's quick!

What he said!

cornclose
Wednesday 24th June 2009, 20:53
http://volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/pdf/xc_center_console_removal.pdf

and this if fancy repairing its mechanism

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpost.php?p=305230&postcount=13

Wow. Thanks. Some of those look like a palarva, I'll have a look. Cheers!

richiemat
Wednesday 24th June 2009, 21:00
its not too bad, just give yourself some time. i found the trickiest part was pushing all the head unit cabling back in far enough and remembering where all the screws go.:slap:

cornclose
Wednesday 24th June 2009, 22:32
Got it out without removing anything else - made a 'special tool' as shown in some of the above links.

The reason that it kept popping out was because the long spring had become dislodged and was blocking the mechanism from catching properly - hence it wouldn't close. The spring was dislodged because the plastic tang that holds it at the front had broken, so I drilled a 1mm pilot hole and replaced the tang with a very small self tapping screw, a good strong repair which is totally invisible.

Whilst at it, I also repaired the clasp mechanism that holds the cup. The ratchet wire/stay was a little lose and wouldn't engage with the plastic slots properly. A blob of Araldite to hold it in position sorted that!

Cheers all.

v70torslanda
Wednesday 24th June 2009, 23:23
I took mine out and replaced it with a cubby - when I smoked it held fags & lighter - a useful little stash space which is lacking somewhat in the otherwise well appointed interior.

J

ps Anyone want a cup holder from the '03 spec dash?

S60-MBS
Wednesday 24th June 2009, 23:36
Got it out without removing anything else - made a 'special tool' as shown in some of the above links.

The reason that it kept popping out was because the long spring had become dislodged and was blocking the mechanism from catching properly - hence it wouldn't close. The spring was dislodged because the plastic tang that holds it at the front had broken, so I drilled a 1mm pilot hole and replaced the tang with a very small self tapping screw, a good strong repair which is totally invisible.

Whilst at it, I also repaired the clasp mechanism that holds the cup. The ratchet wire/stay was a little lose and wouldn't engage with the plastic slots properly. A blob of Araldite to hold it in position sorted that!

Cheers all.
You fancy fixing my cupholder too lol

cornclose
Thursday 25th June 2009, 12:23
It's pretty easy to do mate - the hardest bit is getting out the holder for the first time using the 'special tool'. Once you've done it once it would be easy a second time as you now know how it works.

Mine will probably never break again - it's stronger now than when it came from the factory!

richiemat
Thursday 25th June 2009, 12:26
Chris'll fix it :D

cornclose
Thursday 25th June 2009, 13:12
:biggrin:

princepugh
Monday 23rd August 2010, 22:22
The infernal cup-holder, nice design, the ratchet mechanism is a bit on the flimsy side though.

Mine had been broke since I bought the car - turns out the plastic ratchet stop had sheared due to some play in the metal arm - luckily it had stuck itself into the grease applied at the factory so I could superglue it back in place.

The play in the arm was resolved using an elastic band, lol - necessity being the mother of invention and all that :) and I couldn't be bothered with the araldite!

scooter
Monday 23rd August 2010, 22:48
when i first bought my car the previous owner used paper to hold it in i removed the paper and funny enough the spring was cello-taped to the back of the cup holder with a bit of paper saying spring for cup holder

thebadger
Monday 23rd August 2010, 23:30
I have the dual cup holders in the centre console & replaced the plod spec HU holder & cubby with the genuine volvo dual din HU facia. (see rufe for details)

The cup holder I bought doesn't fit into the new unit.

So I have one up for grabs if anyone wants another/spare.

Seems to work fine & even ratchets well.

If I could fit it in with the double din unit, rest assured I would. :)

Still, the "plate" left in it's place looks ripe for some fancy switches...... Hmmm...

princepugh
Tuesday 24th August 2010, 09:11
Still, the "plate" left in it's place looks ripe for some fancy switches...... Hmmm...

Fancy switches huh? Would that be 007 or Mario Kart style? I'm liking the idea of banana skins!

thebadger
Tuesday 24th August 2010, 18:01
Switching on & off some things like the amps & maybe some other less legal things perhaps....