PDA

View Full Version : Front wishbones?

Quicksilver
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 22:36
I think my front wishbones need replacing (brake judder), I've looked on the net and got a good price for a pair on E-bay of £66 plus P&P.

What are peoples experiences with aftermarket parts like this?.

t5 stealth
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 22:44
if ur gettin brake judder its most likely the front discs are warped

MisterC1501
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 22:54
I replaced my wishbones as a pair since the left one was worn. Nothing to do with brake judder though

Quicksilver
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 23:48
Well I asked the question on here and some people suggested it may be worn suspension bushes.

I've been out in the car today and under light to moderate braking I get judder through the car, brake hard and no problem.

The other day I braked as I went over a brow, the front end was light and the whole car shook.

I had warped front discs when i got the car and under hard braking the steering wheel would shake, I dont get that, just through the car.

I've replaced the rear discs, no differance.

Any help appreciated as it's doing my head in and she's on about getting shot of it.

KARL
Wednesday 24th June 2009, 00:30
I replaced my wishbones as a pair since the left one was worn. Nothing to do with brake judder though

Were can I find some for my V70 R AWD.
I am told AWD ones , are not the same as the 2WD !

Thanks

cameron
Wednesday 24th June 2009, 00:39
In here Karl.......

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/

Or contact Rufe on here, he works for FRF Volvo in swansea and gives good discounts.

S Singh
Wednesday 24th June 2009, 02:09
If you do want to change wishbones, you could get polyurethene bushes and replace worn ones. Just a thought.

Wombatbomb
Wednesday 24th June 2009, 06:06
If you do want to change wishbones, you could get polyurethene bushes and replace worn ones. Just a thought.

The R uses 4 bolt arms, Powerflex don't make replacement bushes for those. AFAIK the only source of updated bushes for them is a Swedish company called JERD.

As for replacing lower arms, if you intend to sell the car soon, then the ScanTech ones from PFV will do, if you intend keeping it then get genuine items from Rufe as they will last considerably longer.

However, from the description it sounds like pad pickup on the discs to me. Truly warped discs are actually quite rare.

jdavis
Wednesday 24th June 2009, 10:39
what year is your V70?
found this
http://www.braydonmotors.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=1029

MisterC1501
Wednesday 24th June 2009, 16:26
Were can I find some for my V70 R AWD.
I am told AWD ones , are not the same as the 2WD !

Thanks

Contact Rufe by private message; he works in a Volvo parts department. When I contacted him about my wishbones, he listed two different types, depending on your chassis number.

If you contact him, he will more than likely give you the correct part for your car.

Then, if you choose, trawl ebay for the equivalent and compare the prices.

S Singh
Thursday 25th June 2009, 01:11
Didnt know that Wombatbomb, learning summin knew every day!!!! :)

dooby
Thursday 25th June 2009, 10:48
Hi,

I bought an aftermarket wishbone and put polybushes on it, then had to replace it less than a year later I seem to remember, as the balljoint was shot. Now I'm running genuine ones.

HTH, Pete

nobananas
Thursday 25th June 2009, 21:05
Brake judder can well be caused by knackered TCA bushes. I replaced my bushes with some cheap pattern ones, couple of months later I was getting brake judder. Suspecting warped discs I replaced the fronts, still judder so I replaced the backs as well, still judder, did the fronts again, still judder then found out that the new TCA bushes were totally knackered again !. A set of poly bushes and 3 years on it's all still good. Pattern arms ?, I fitted one after a balljoint failed (fitted my poly bushes to it of course !) and the steering wheel was totally skewed ! (wouldn't have noticed if I'd have fitted a pair) Checked the tracking at work and it was a mile out, didn't feel confident about it after that because if it throws out the tracking by that much it can't be a very accurate copy IMHO. I ended up taking it off and fitting a second hand genuine one which had a good balljoint but knackered bushes and swapped my poly ones into it ! (bit naughty but cost effective !)

smudgethecat
Wednesday 15th July 2009, 10:48
I fited a pair made by scamtech from PFS, the bushes fell to pieces and the baljoints were shot after about 5k miles, ended up getting a pair of genuine volvo from the awesome rufe ,which are still going strong, moral of story, avoid aftermarket crap made by scamtech

matt_850
Thursday 16th July 2009, 07:31
If the ball joints or bushes are shot will it make a rattling noise?? im just looking at changing one on my car as its nearly the same price as a full set of bushes. i had car shudder in the rear of mine, got the rear brakes looked at and one caliper was siezed open on one side, could be an issue with the calipers not coming on evenly.