PDA

View Full Version : Sick of cooking...

Tomcat
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 14:33
I finally got fed up today with having to drive everywhere with all the windows open when it's hot, so I've booked it in to have the aircon looked at. I had it regassed about a year ago and it was fantastic while it lasted, trouble is it only lasted a week so there's gotta be a big leak somewhere... The place usually charges £40 to regass but he said if it's just a diagnostic then he won't charge me.....Here's hoping he get's it sorted...

JelT5
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 14:35
Well done mate- worth keeping the aircon up together. I couldn't live without it now. Mine needs a regas too but its double UK price here :-(

PaulZX
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 14:38
I'm junking my aircon pump soon.... it's not worked for 18 months, I've got windows that wind down, I'm ok with suffering in traffic jams, I just take it out on the kids....

AlanG
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 14:45
Didn't they pressure test it at the time? I'm hoping it's not the condenser as I've heard that the part is very expensive and a pig to replace. In fact not worth doing. We'll be back to normal,weather-wise soon mate. Keep a supply of baby-wipes to cool you down!! Let us know how it goes though.:B_thumb:

AlanG
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 14:46
I'm junking my aircon pump soon.... it's not worked for 18 months, I've got windows that wind down, I'm ok with suffering in traffic jams, I just take it out on the kids....

Lol:uglyhamme

flyingbrick
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 15:14
Had all my aircon removed when I had my engine replaced two years ago.The pipes were all corroded and it dident work anyway it would have cost to much to put right. There was half a dozen days in the sumer last year that I wish i'd not removed it. What I find with aircon is after a long drive you get used to the cold so when you get out the car you just start sweating....Plus you use more fuel when the aircon is on and its bad enough LOL......

timbo_1975
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 16:59
Usually the bottom of the condensor that rots out, or the bottom of the drier which is strapped to the condensor.

If the system has had no charge for a while, you must replace the drier. Pressure test with nitrogen, if thats ok, pull a vaccum and see if it holds for 12hrs. If ok, regas and bingo!

Tim.

Tomcat
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 17:30
Well......nothing.....

I'd told him that it wasn't holding the gas, so he's tried to pull a vac on it and managed it, then he's injected the dye and spotted...nothing, so he done er...nothing!. He say's it is leaking slightly( I knew this already) but as he can
t see any leaks it's probably the condensor that's had it, Anyone point out where the condensor is?. He recon's that it's probably worth putting some sealent in first, but he doesn't have any and it's £50, plus the fee for re gassing. Thankfully he didn't charge me for this so I've not really lost anything...

Filterlab
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 19:06
There's some kind of spray that can be put into a vacuumed (or almost vacuumed) system which will seal small leaks in the system. Kent Canary had it done on his V40 last spring and it's held perfectly since. I think it was about £100 for the vac / test / gas / regas. Worth looking into I'd say.

AlanG
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 20:00
Well......nothing.....

I'd told him that it wasn't holding the gas, so he's tried to pull a vac on it and managed it, then he's injected the dye and spotted...nothing, so he done er...nothing!. He say's it is leaking slightly( I knew this already) but as he can
t see any leaks it's probably the condensor that's had it, Anyone point out where the condensor is?. He recon's that it's probably worth putting some sealent in first, but he doesn't have any and it's £50, plus the fee for re gassing. Thankfully he didn't charge me for this so I've not really lost anything...

Believe the said part lives just in front of the compressor. Just looks like a canister. I think!

nobananas
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 21:10
Did he try waving a 'sniffer' round 'yer air vents ? (insert fart joke here). The evaporator had gone on mine, then the clutch started failing to engage, then the pump started leaking, then I gave up and opened all the windows ! (ironically the a/c on my ropey old Laguna works perfectly and has never been re-gassed, trouble is when I switch it on it pulls so much power out of the engine it feels like someones hitch up a 26 foot caravan !)

Tomcat
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 21:12
(ironically the a/c on my ropey old Laguna works perfectly and has never been re-gassed, trouble is when I switch it on it pulls so much power out of the engine it feels like someones hitch up a 26 foot caravan !)

Lmao!, not sure as I had to leave it with him. I'll probably save up a little and then get someone mobile to come and do it.

t5 stealth
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 21:19
Well......nothing.....

there is some stuff thats in a can,u inject it into a charged system,then it seals it up,a mate had small leak in his bmw so he put this stuff in & its been workin for over a year,it was only about 15 or 20 quid a can,
iv got one comin out for my bosses d5 so il find out the actual price for u if u want,then il send u one if u want

Tomcat
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 21:32
Your a star, yes please.

t5 stealth
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 21:33
no prob,il find out the name,u mite be able to find it up there lol,if not il post u one mate