PDA

View Full Version : Heatshield, wastegate, actuator, rust etc

JelT5
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 14:32
Rusty, seized bolts on the heatshield- b@stards eventually shifted so I could tweak the actuator rod half a turn!
All cleaned up and easy to undo now, so worthwhile in the end I suppose. Every little helps eh?

Tomcat
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 14:34
Defo worth taking the slack out of the wastegate eh?.

JelT5
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 14:36
Always :biggrin:

p fandango
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 14:39
removing the heatshield is one of the next jobs on my list of "jobs to do", but only to bin it becuase its too heavy lol

AlanG
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 15:03
removing the heatshield is one of the next jobs on my list of "jobs to do", but only to bin it becuase its too heavy lol

Oh dear! See what you guys have started??:uglyhamme

p fandango
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 15:27
Oh dear! See what you guys have started??:uglyhamme
its been on the cards for along while just never got round to doing it, & can see it being even longer now i have to remove the bloody bonnet because its got no hinges lol. The annoying thing it the Volvo mechanic was quite chuffed he'd got the heatshield back on ok when they fitted my 19T, if i'd of remembered i'd of told them to leave it off :troutslap

JelT5
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 15:33

Hehehe thats the spirit mate!

PaulZX
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 15:52
took me about an hour and a half to get both of the heatshields out...

I binned em, improved the airflow under the bonnet, and improved the escape route for heat at the back of the engine.

yeh ok, I pulled the rubber seals off, and chopped the lip at the back of the engine bay off, but it sounds better the first way...

p fandango
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 16:32
Hehehe thats the spirit mate!
i'm running out of things to bin tho lol

p fandango
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 16:32
took me about an hour and a half to get both of the heatshields out...

I binned em, improved the airflow under the bonnet, and improved the escape route for heat at the back of the engine.

yeh ok, I pulled the rubber seals off, and chopped the lip at the back of the engine bay off, but it sounds better the first way...
will you stop giving all the secrets away lol :nono:

benep
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 16:38
took my heat shields off at the weekend and with a bit of wrestling came out pretty easy, should imagine there a sod to get back in though!

PaulZX
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 17:01
will you stop giving all the secrets away lol :nono:

heh, there was me thinking even this lot would have thunk about that already..... :doh:

Niles
Tuesday 23rd June 2009, 17:14
my car has had the shield removed for over a year now. No problems & I think............ the bonnet temps aren't affected & allows more air to freely circulate around the turbo. ( i did however trim up the rubber 'seal' on the bulkhead to help hot air escape).