PDA

View Full Version : Clonking !

BUGMAN
Sunday 21st June 2009, 22:59
Hi all , just wondered if anyone had experienced this dull thud when changing gear under acceleration . My v70r performs fine , but when ghanging - up , there is a dull clonk between 2nd - 3rd and 3rd - 4th , when you depress the clutch and move gear , as though the transmission is moving a little . You can 'drive this out' by feathering the clutch a little . Its more prominent the harder you are driving . Before i venture to the local stealers , i thought someone here may have a clue ? I have just replaced the knackered top mount with a powerflex poly one . Thanking you all in great anticipation ! Cheers . . . .

AlanG
Sunday 21st June 2009, 23:03
Hey buddy,have you checked all the other rubbers as has all the hallmarks of a mount,the way you describe. Only other suggestion would be exhaust. Keep us posted.........

cornclose
Sunday 21st June 2009, 23:10
How many miles ? Couldn't be a transfer box issue could it ? (the device that transfers power to the rear wheels).

Where is the noise coming from ?

AlanG
Sunday 21st June 2009, 23:13
Is it AWD?

Dangerous Dave
Monday 22nd June 2009, 00:14
I dont think it is, just an FWD R

AlanG
Monday 22nd June 2009, 00:19
That's what I thought.

BUGMAN
Monday 22nd June 2009, 07:37
Is it AWD?
Hi AlanG , Yes , its a 2003 AWD with 82000 miles . Ive only had it a few weeks . In March the previous owner had a new transfer box and a recon gearbox fitted ( at 78000 miles ) . I'm looking at the bill now and it says ' Transfer box drive splines worn to excess on gearbox and transfer box . Renewed transfer box and recon. gearbox '. I was kinda hoping that area was taken care of for a little while ! What you reckon ?

Al115
Monday 22nd June 2009, 08:33
Have a mate look under the bonnet while you gently bring the clutch up with the footbrake on (stationary!) See if the engine boogies about a lot. Sounds like it could be worn engine or transmission mounts to me.

cornclose
Monday 22nd June 2009, 09:21
As far as I know all phase 2 V70R are AWD - hence the question. I wouldn't rule it out though mate - I've heard they can be problematic, never had one myself though so don't know.

Other clonk noises could be coming from the front suspension. Wishbones maybe (worn wishbone bushes) or front top mounts or drop links (the later can make quite a twang type of noise!).

I'd say you need to poke around a bit in the engine bay/under the car to see if anything is obvious. Other than that, try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from with more accuracy...

richiemat
Monday 22nd June 2009, 10:21
Bugman

What sort of mileage does she have on her?

My T5 only has 62k and i have recently had new rubber and bearing type top mounts, front shocks, wishbones inc bushes as i was getting clonking noises..not any more though. The steering is tighter and it now feels like the steering wheel is connected to something :)

Davew
Monday 22nd June 2009, 10:31
I am by no means a mechanic, but wouldnt the mention of having a transfer box mean its 4wd?

Davew
Monday 22nd June 2009, 10:33
I am by no means a mechanic, but wouldnt the mention of having a transfer box mean it 4wd?

EDIT:

OK just read one of the posts properly.... Ill get me coat. :-)

Dangerous Dave
Monday 22nd June 2009, 11:01
Mine has got a clunking on it, but only since I changed the outer CV joint. It sounds like a transmission whine for a split second whenever the car accelerates or decelerates.

But I also have what you have when I change gear, it clonks. I think that mine is the front propshaft cv joint. I'm going to remove it soon and regrease it

AlanG
Monday 22nd June 2009, 18:38
Why did I think the V70R AWD was the 265bhp auto only?

AlanG
Monday 22nd June 2009, 18:40
Just read the relevant post again,so it's a P2 as it would be on this forum..........Getting my coat also.....