PDA

View Full Version : Reversing Light switch for Auto???

andyb
Friday 27th May 2005, 17:07
Hi,

The reversing lights on my 1996 T5 seem to have stopped working. Have checked both bulbs and that ain`t the problem. Can anyone tell me where the reversing light switch is on an auto??

Many thanks

Andrew

stuAWD
Friday 27th May 2005, 18:27
What model are you talking about.
If its the V,S, or C70, according to the manual i've got, the switch is an integral component of the gear position sensor, but I dont know how you check if its working.

k690bpp
Friday 27th May 2005, 20:05
the reverse light on the auto are activated by the pnp switch on the gearbox and it'll need changing to sort the problem, about £130 fitted from a dealer.

instruction on how to diy here: http://www.volvospeed.com/Repair/pnpswitch.php

pretty straight forward until you get to the bit that says "don't over tighten the 13mm on the PNP switch, if it breaks the transmission would have to be replaced", so i got the dealer to do it.

btw the reverse lights are not part of the mot test so don't panic, i found this out after i had mine changed for the test...doh!!!

andyb
Friday 27th May 2005, 20:32
Many thanks chaps....most appreciated. Must admit I had assumed it was an MOT requirement...as its not I may well leave alone. Don`t miss them at all.

Regards

Andrew

MattB
Saturday 28th May 2005, 01:15
Many thanks chaps....most appreciated. Must admit I had assumed it was an MOT requirement...as its not I may well leave alone. Don`t miss them at all.

Regards

Andrew

I have recently replaced my reverse light switch. To be fair, my car is a manual and the switch was only £25. However, I am now safer in the knowledge that I have reverse lights.

Much to my frustration - I would stop in the street to paralell park - just as I was selecting reverse - some clever c*** would nip in and pinch my space. I could have taken the 'I was here first' approach and continued to reverse in, but figured that any insurance claim for damage would be void as my lights were not working?....

... also, people crossing behind you when reversing / parking, could also claim that you had no lights lit?...

...just a thought.

Ian C70T5
Friday 16th December 2005, 17:28
I think i need to do mine as mine dont work

C70 manual.. How easy actually is it? where can i get the part

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 17th December 2005, 15:34
It's all right MattB the reverse lights aren't part of your MOT so you could plead ignorance....

MattB
Saturday 17th December 2005, 20:12
I think i need to do mine as mine dont work

C70 manual.. How easy actually is it? where can i get the part

For the 850 - just under £30 from volvo main stealer.
I will gladly pm you instructions - maybe a little hazy - as I did it back in the summer. Job only took 20 mins (I think!) - just need to know if the job is the same for the C70 - any ideas guys??? - Wobbly??

Rufe
Sunday 18th December 2005, 19:33
theres a big difference in cost between manual and auto. the manuals have a simple switch on top of the box, the autos have it as part of the starter inhibitor control, hence the price. (btw, the C70 would be the same as the V70 though dave, providing you are on about both being manual/both being auto).

as for reverse lights not being in the MOT, that true. they are not actually intended for being used so others can see you, they are only there to enable the driver to see in the dark while reversing.

volvo part number for MANUAL transmission switch will be 9442728, and most dealers would have these on their shelf's :) (these were used from the 1992 850, and still used for the 2005 V70, and all C70 - MANUALS ONLY)

(autos have lots of options so more info on the particular car would be needed)