PDA

View Full Version : Bad vibrations - any advice please

slavinski
Wednesday 17th June 2009, 23:41
Folks, please help. I have a 99 V70 T5 and recently it started to make horrible vibrations (loud, mechanical rattling, felt through the seat) and this only happens when the car is cold and under load (heavy torque). Once the car is warm it goes away.
I thought it was the clutch but the weird thing is that it doesnt do it in reverse, i tried reversing up a steep driveway and no vibration at all.

My next guess is worn engine mounts causing the engine to flip back and forth or driveshafts???

Was wondering if anyone maybe had the same problem or could shed some light on this annoying fault. Much appreciate any help/advice!!!!

Cheers, Slav

dooby
Thursday 18th June 2009, 00:12
Hi,

I think I had this when my top engine steady bar wasn't bolted up tight enough after I'd been fiddling. Sounded a bit like a bad CV joint when pulling away.

Could also be the 'front' engine mount which is at the 'front' of the engine - i.e. the left of the engine bay on a transverse engine. If you take off the driver's wheel you can see the trapezoidal shape of the engine mount between the bottom of the engine and the top of the subframe. When this one fails you often see evidence of metal on metal contact on the subframe.

Both are fairly easy to change over if it's and engine mount.

HTH, Pete

slavinski
Monday 22nd June 2009, 13:53
Cheers for the advice, i'll have a good look at that engine mount this week.
It just puzzle me why the noise goes after the car warmes up. If it was an engine mount wouldnt the noise continue?

It would be great if it was just the engne mount :) simple remedy!!

volvoturboman
Monday 22nd June 2009, 15:06
My 88 740 done the exact same thing mate and believe it or not after 2 garages and hours of inspecton it actually turned out to be a bad fitting of my new exhaust.