PDA

View Full Version : tempremental reverse on 940 auto

gtiteen
Monday 15th June 2009, 00:24
got mums 940 lpt auto down at the moment coz moving stuff out of uni house. Sometimes it doesn't take reverse, one time it will take it 2nd time you try or after a pause, others im sat for minutes and others it works straight away.

Any ideas chaps?

Cheers,
Dave

t5 stealth
Monday 15th June 2009, 01:47
check gearbox fluid.
if its low then it will do strange things,also if the car is on a slope pointing up or down etc the fluid in the box runs away from its places inside the box if the fluid is low,

AlanG
Monday 15th June 2009, 14:24
Agreed,these boxes are generally bullet-proof. That said there must be a reason for any fluid loss.

v70torslanda
Wednesday 17th June 2009, 22:59
Inhibitor switch? Any trouble starting?

J

AlanG
Monday 22nd June 2009, 00:32
Update??

gtiteen
Tuesday 7th July 2009, 01:26
Oh sorry guys, dropped the ball on this one. I've told my dad to get the gearbox oil changed but so far he's done sod all about it!

It tends to do it mostly once its hot if that helps. Also once its hot say after motorway driving it can be a bit funny picking gears etc. The car is otherwise fine, we had it since new and its been serviced regularly.

volvoturboman
Tuesday 7th July 2009, 02:40
Mate if the overdrive in my old 740 is anything to go by then it'd be the oil. Good luck.

Filterlab
Monday 13th July 2009, 12:35
If it's doing it when it's hot then I'd say it's almost 100% likely to be the fluid. My Sierra 2.0 Ghia I had back in the early 90s did exactly the same thing for a while (albeit it would pick up reverse but not drive) and as soon as I topped the fluid up it was perfect.