PDA

View Full Version : Twin turbo

volvoturboman
Saturday 13th June 2009, 02:14
Here is something I was thinking about, but before I go anywhere near Darren (my mechanic) I thought I'd run it past you's guys. Don't want my mechanic laughing at me again cause I thought of the impossible. I want maximum power and grip from my T5 as discussed before. How hard would it be to set up a twin turbo system, similar to BMW's 535d. A small one and a large one, so I'd always have turbo power from the get go. Another question, is it possible to fit the 850AWD system to my T5?

p fandango
Saturday 13th June 2009, 07:29
with money anything can be done, but tbh its not really worth it. I've got a 19T turbo fitted & with the help of over modifications spools up quicker than my 15G (the turbo you have) ever did

as for the AWD question, in theory yes. It'd be better to purchase a complete AWD & either swop the T-5 engine into that. Or if you have a compitent welder swop the AWD drivetrain over, you'd also need to swop the exhaust & fuel tanks (AWD uses 2 smaller tanks)

t5 pete
Saturday 13th June 2009, 09:17
As pedro has said anything is possible but if you were going down the twin route i would stick a t6 in.
As for the awd they are supposed to be quite weak and if i were going to do it i would get every thing strenghtend.
So tbh if you are actually thinking about this and paying some one to do the work i hope you have a good bank balance as roughly its gunna cost a bomb.
Ide say just to upgrade the turbo if you going to be putting a big garrett in you looking around the 1k mark then probley a custom manifold with a external wastegate which will cost a bomb then a custom down pipe larger injectors then you want to be uprating the internals intercooler and then either standalone ecu or get some one to tune it up for you ide have a rought geuss at the parts and set up is going to be easy in excess of 7k then you will have to pay some one to do the work your most liley looking around the 10k mark

iGGy
Saturday 13th June 2009, 14:26
Your major stumbling block for doing a twin turbo conversion is going to be the lack of space. BMW has got the advantage in that the engine is facing in the correct orientation in the first place.

How about a super-charger conversion?...That'll get your mechanic pooping in his overalls! :D

volvoturboman
Saturday 13th June 2009, 16:01
Well I want big power, there is a guy I've been told about holds the record round here for race winning. There is an old air field near here and although I haven't been in many years I'd like to show up in a Volvo which will wipe the floor. The guy apparently has a 690 brake evo9. The AWD ideais purely that I can put all the power direct to the road as quick as possible. As for budget, although I don't have it in readys over the next year or two I was thinking 30 to 40 grand but that for body work and interior as well as mechanicals. I want a show car that can also sit with any tuner. Keeping it strictly euro style.

t5 pete
Saturday 13th June 2009, 16:44
Well if you have that ammount free to spend any thing is possible if you put 10k into the interia and paint work it will leave you 30k to play with for the engine

p fandango
Saturday 13th June 2009, 16:55
buy a Supra & whop up the boost lol

volvoturboman
Saturday 13th June 2009, 18:10
Well if you have that ammount free to spend any thing is possible if you put 10k into the interia and paint work it will leave you 30k to play with for the engine

I'm thinking it might be more for paint and interior. I'm thinking Sonic blue (S60R colour) with a bit of airbrushing. Inside retrim plu lots and lots of speakers and screens. I'm not that young any more I know but I missed out on all that and I've always aspired to put my car in Max power magazine.

By the way I ain't rich but moved back in with my mother so lots more spare money. I might have mad it sound like I was lol.

Al115
Saturday 13th June 2009, 18:34
Go for it mate will be ace- but expensive. Don't expect to see the money back once you've sunk it in though. :)

volvoturboman
Saturday 13th June 2009, 18:41
Go for it mate will be ace- but expensive. Don't expect to see the money back once you've sunk it in though. :)

It'll be a keeper, I plan to do alot of it myself I trained for 2 years as a mechanic so have a fair idea of part changing (but thats about it lol). So when I'm doing it I'm going to get my son to help, he's only 6 but it'll be fun. Then when he's older I can pass it on.