PDA

View Full Version : 155mph limited?

Godzilla
Thursday 11th June 2009, 22:46
Out of interest are the T5's and T5R's limited to 155mph?

Reason I ask is so many other cars like BMW's, Merc's etc are all limited to 155mph...... Well the one's that can do 155mph!

Mrsmopp
Thursday 11th June 2009, 22:49
Yes they are but your mapped so the limit may be off :)

volvokid
Thursday 11th June 2009, 22:52
Its a funny one that cuz all the old car mags said they could do 144mph lol. But as far as i'm aware there limited

volvoturboman
Thursday 11th June 2009, 23:49
That as a good question. Some more infoI never knew and now do, thanks guys

cameron
Thursday 11th June 2009, 23:53
257bhp @ 162.1mph tells all ;)

Yes its mapped :B_thumb:

AlanG
Friday 12th June 2009, 00:26
Why limit a car that's capable only of 149mph? It's my belief that it was said only to passify the pc brigade. Mine is re-mapped and on legal ground have seen well in excess of 155.

850 2.5 10v
Friday 12th June 2009, 09:46
The bit I'd be worried about is this;

Your cars engine might be capable of these speeds but I'd be hugely wary of running an older car at these speeds bearing in mind the stress on other and already aged components. Particularly poorly maintained vehicles of which I guess there are more than a few out there!

The stress on a car at these speeds is immense.

If something went pop it could be curtains for the car and maybe you too?

Just a thought...

cherry1809
Friday 12th June 2009, 09:54
The cars must be built to take the speeds, else they wouldn't have made them capable of doing it.
Age hasn't much to do with safety issues, but poorl maintainence will have.
If it were me, I'd have the car fully checked over before attempting any sort of 130-140mph plus speeds.

AlanG
Friday 12th June 2009, 14:22
Maintainance is obviously the key to long life regardless of the vehicle. Have seen first hand what can happen. Was sent to recover a P2 V70 on a 51 plate with 110k miles. The n/s/f lower balljoint had failed dumping it on it's nose. No steering or drive as the shaft popped out and lost the g/box oil into the bargain. It also destroyed the wing. Luckily it happened at very low speed. The previous night,the driver was doing 80mph on the motorway. The irony was that it was a funeral car.

volvoturboman
Friday 12th June 2009, 15:01
Maintainance is obviously the key to long life regardless of the vehicle. Have seen first hand what can happen. Was sent to recover a P2 V70 on a 51 plate with 110k miles. The n/s/f lower balljoint had failed dumping it on it's nose. No steering or drive as the shaft popped out and lost the g/box oil into the bargain. It also destroyed the wing. Luckily it happened at very low speed. The previous night,the driver was doing 80mph on the motorway. The irony was that it was a funeral car.

That is a bit bloody ironic the driver could have become the passenger there

irf
Friday 12th June 2009, 19:16
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/irf200/Marham%202008/12042008122.jpg

still pulling very healthily but a fast right and a hairpin left were coming up....

yes it was on track and no need for any winky smilies lol

Engineer
Friday 12th June 2009, 20:19

still pulling very healthily but a fast right and a hairpin left were coming up....

Ring, Ring, :wink:.............

Storm-Troll
Saturday 13th June 2009, 01:07
Yes they are but your mapped so the limit may be off :)

If You Have An Auto Box Then The Gear Box Has Its Own Limiter Which U Cant Get Round... i Found That With My R When I Had It.. The Remap Took Off The 155mph Engine Limiter. But The Auto Box Still Had The Gearbox Limiter Intact. so Woudlnt Go Above 155.....

Tim Williams
Saturday 13th June 2009, 09:05

Ring, Ring, :wink:.............

I think your memory might be failing with age:hidesbehi

Clue 1, it was done withing eye sight of you:smileypul.

Clue 2, Irf took the picture:smirk:

Clue 3, the driver is taller than you:confused:

irf
Saturday 13th June 2009, 15:44
LOL, no memory failure and yes Tim it was you driving at the time of the picture and you were actually hitting about 155 at the end of the straight but i wanted to be looking forward when you braked!

i reckon i hit a higher speed when i did drive though cos i would have been coming out of the previous corner soooo much faster then you:hidesbehi

yes you're taller. uglier too......

Engineer
Saturday 13th June 2009, 20:55
I think your memory might be failing with age:hidesbehi

Clue 1, it was done withing eye sight of you:smileypul.

Clue 2, Irf took the picture:smirk:

Clue 3, the driver is taller than you:confused:

:slap: Marham April 2008............

Dream3r
Saturday 13th June 2009, 21:02
are these speedo's not out by about 10-15% too though? So you were really doing about 140ish?

Not trying to rain on your parade at all just wandering, I seen 160+ (off the clock) out of mine recently on a track and mine is explod so the speedo should have been calibrated? Or am i talking cr@p?

Loving Toyo's on the front

Tim Williams
Sunday 14th June 2009, 00:37
are these speedo's not out by about 10-15% too though? So you were really doing about 140ish?

Not trying to rain on your parade at all just wandering, I seen 160+ (off the clock) out of mine recently on a track and mine is explod so the speedo should have been calibrated? Or am i talking cr@p?

Loving Toyo's on the front

I have tried later 850 with GPS and they over read by about 5 MPH at the top end depending of course on tyre size. Irf's was showing about 150 there just before the corner, earlier on the straight it would show about 158MPH.

Irf's car isn't limited to 155 on the speedo or GPS:hidesbehi

T5frankie
Sunday 14th June 2009, 02:27
I would have to disagree i managed 159mph in my V70

p fandango
Sunday 14th June 2009, 08:35
is yours standard & was that GPS or speedo speed?

Godzilla
Sunday 14th June 2009, 08:43

159mph..... thats fast!!

I see your from Milton Keynes mate, same as!!

T5frankie
Sunday 14th June 2009, 12:40
is yours standard & was that GPS or speedo speed?

Speedo speed

T5frankie
Sunday 14th June 2009, 12:41
159mph..... thats fast!!

I see your from Milton Keynes mate, same as!!

Yes i live in eaglestone

Jimmie
Sunday 14th June 2009, 12:55

Speedo error 159 = 14? MPH approx which would be about correct.
Try a sat nav.

T5frankie
Sunday 14th June 2009, 13:04
Speedo speed

T5frankie
Sunday 14th June 2009, 13:10
I have tried later 850 with GPS and they over read by about 5 MPH at the top end depending of course on tyre size. Irf's was showing about 150 there just before the corner, earlier on the straight it would show about 158MPH.

Irf's car isn't limited to 155 on the speedo or GPS:hidesbehi

10-15% out could be both ways and wasnt that calculations for old cars with speedo cables not digital ones? and i can tell the differance between 145 and 159.

Wombatbomb
Sunday 14th June 2009, 13:23
By law a speedo cannot under-read, but it is permissible to over-read by upto 10%. The speedo's on the later cars are just as capable of being inaccurate as the earlier units. The car's true speed can however be obtained via the OBDII port.

EDIT: Just noticed your cars pic in your avatar, you will only have the electronic speedo if you have the ME7 engine.

T5frankie
Sunday 14th June 2009, 13:55
By law a speedo cannot under-read, but it is permissible to over-read by upto 10%. The speedo's on the later cars are just as capable of being inaccurate as the earlier units. The car's true speed can however be obtained via the OBDII port.

EDIT: Just noticed your cars pic in your avatar, you will only have the electronic speedo if you have the ME7 engine.

I know if you look in my avatar you will notice my '99 v70 which is the car i said i did the run in, thanks for the info anyway mate.

Wombatbomb
Sunday 14th June 2009, 14:10
As it's impossible to see the number plate in your avatar it makes it hard to tell what year the car is, ME7 engined P1 V70's aren't that common ;)

Besides, it's a moot point, the FULL electronic connectivity to the actual speedo is part of the upgrades made with the P2 cars, the only P1 cars with fully calibrated speedo's are either Plod vehicles or if someone has actually paid to have the work done themselves. As such, your car reading 159mph on the speedo could be doing any speed between 143mph and the indicated speed.

A lot of manufacturers actually build an error into their gauges (or rather the interface software from the ECU), on the electronically driven systems. VAG are an example, this can be seen by activating the additional modes on the climate control panel on their cars, one of the variables you can display is the cars true speed, which is usually 7-8% lower than the speedo shows.

AlanG
Sunday 14th June 2009, 14:21
It's not a bad thing. The traffic Taliban would have a field day if speedometers read correctly. That said,most of us have satellite navigation nowadays and they accurately measure speed so we all know when we're on the wrong side. Just my tuppence worth!!

p fandango
Sunday 14th June 2009, 14:57
pre-ME7's are electronic as well & use a sensor & stepper motor instead of a cable

my 850 reads 5mph above across the whole speedo, & the S60 8mph above

Dream3r
Sunday 14th June 2009, 19:17
My speedo is dead on with the GPS (explod) , on my a4 quattro the speedo was miles out.

GPS would say 71 when the speedo was saying 78 etc.

My golf VR6 was the same, I think it saved me grief before with GATSO's, I can see it being a good thing from that point of view.

I remember reading an article somewhere that it was some sort of government initiative that stipulated that spedo's need to overread by 10 or something, can't really remember it didn't sound right to me at the time but you have to wonder.

Consipircy?

:)