PDA

View Full Version : Another Issue - Fuel Flap

cornclose
Thursday 11th June 2009, 16:07
...went to fill up today and found that my fuel filler flap would not open as the lock mechanism had jammed. No amount of locking/unlocking made it work.

So, I looked in the boot to see if there was a manual 'string' to pull like there is on most cars to release the fuel flap in cases like this - and there isn't (well, not on mine anyway...). Should there be ?

I released the flap by physically pulling the solenoid by gaining access to it after removing a few bits of trim and the like in the luggage compartment.

Is this a common issue ? Once released, I operated the locks a few times - sometimes the solenoid worked, sometimes it didn't.

How much for a new one ? Or could it be a control module (somewhere) issue ?

Cheers

v70torslanda
Thursday 11th June 2009, 22:24
Fuel flap solenoid works on a timer. It doesn't lock instantaneously with the doors & tailgate but after a short while. This is to allow you to fill the tank with the doors locked.

Chris, it sounds like you are being put thru' the wringer at the moment but the symptoms you are describing overall seem to me to be pointing at a battery problem. It could be worth having it checked when you get back.

luv'n'stuff

J

cornclose
Monday 15th June 2009, 20:22
Cheers John,

I've waited for the timer and it still doesn't lock. It's either a little too sticky, the solenoid is knackered, or there is a fuse gone somewhere (I'll check with a meter for a voltage signal when back).

If there is a signal to the solenoid I'll hoof it out and clean it up if it checks out ok. If not, Simon, can you give me a price for a new one ?

The key has been fine ever since it's one and only hiccup btw...