PDA

View Full Version : Faile MOT, please help (quick)

Davew
Thursday 11th June 2009, 13:14
As above,

Failed on front wheels fowling on full lock. (which I new about was just careful)

Is there a quick fix for this to get it through the mot that a small garage can do?

I have the correct size tyres on (Goodyear eagles)but everything apart from p6000 ditchfinders rub. Dont want to use them so need another option that a small garage can do with things they have to hand.

princepugh
Thursday 11th June 2009, 13:38
Do you know why they're fouling? Is it the bump stops on the rack?

Davew
Thursday 11th June 2009, 13:46
Not too sure to be honest.

I have already had a suggestion of taking the bumpstops off and packing out with washers.

I will give them a ring and see what they think.

Redbrick
Thursday 11th June 2009, 14:24
Have you read this?:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=35058

RobbieH
Thursday 11th June 2009, 14:25
Have you read this on VOC?

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=35058

I'm running Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's at 22/17/45 on Orestes. I'm not aware of any rubbing and never had an issue at MOT (touch wood but last two MOT's were through Stratstones before they went belly-up so maybe their MOT station was aware of this issue?).

HTH
Robbie

Davew
Monday 22nd June 2009, 10:26
Hi again and sorry for the late reply. (I went on my hols)

Just thought I would update as, theres nothing worse than someone taking all the advise, and then not posting the solution.

So..

I called VOSA to get their opinion.....

There is no official excemption for this, it is purley a guideline.

If the tester still deems it dangerous its a fail.

I can appeal the decision, but would need to pay the VOSA tester an MOT fee to inspect the car. If it passes I get the money back if it doesnt I dont.

The short of it in my case is I do want it fixed, because I beleive myself it is dangerous, but dont want the panic of doing a half arsed job, and paying someone else the labour charge becuase I am rushing to get it done within the period of a free re-test.

The outcome...

Well they fixed it for me the same day. It was not what I wanted but the only option.

What they did was to take the bump stops off, turn them around and pack out with a few washers. No more rubbing and a pass.

I only went down this route as I need the car to go on holiday. Now I have seen how easy it is (4 bolts) I will get some new ones and fit them when I get a spare minute.

Thanks for the links :-)