PDA

View Full Version : Odd problem on the motorway today (AFRs?)

daveforber
Friday 5th June 2009, 20:00
Have to say I thought the car was going to dump me on the hard shoulder on the way back from Gloucester today. Was cruising at about 85mph, heading downhill when the cruise control started to try and accelerate but wasn't getting anything from the engine.

I turned it off and tried the gas. The turbo spun up, but there was no drive. Glanced at the boost gauge - 8psi, AFR gauge was way off the bottom of lean so got off it sharpish.

Pulled on to the hard shoulder and slowed down and slipped it into neutral, but the engine carried on running. It then responded hesitantly the the throttle and picked up before losing power again. It seemed like it was hunting for power, then as the turbo hit 8-9psi the AFRs returned to normal and off we went.

It seems fine now, but I have had AFR issues in the past week, where they had been fine, but after sitting in traffic, it was running slightly leaner than I thought it should have been.

The only thing I could think of was fuel pump/regulator. The regulator was replaced about a month ago, but the car is running fine *most* of the time.

It's going in for an MOT on Monday so I'll get any codes read then, but as I suspect it's going to need front brakes and bearings, any pointers that might save me money would be much appreciated.

daveforber
Sunday 12th July 2009, 21:31
Happened again today, except this time it dumped me on the side of the M4. Loss of power followed by bucking. AA towed me home and their diagnosis is fuel pump. Apparently it's drawing nearly 8 amps where it should be drawing around 3 (so why put at 15 amp fuse on it?!).

Annoyingly it started on the third attempt when we got it home, but it wasn't right. Will get prices for replacement... but Nordic Parts reckon on £460 for a fuel pump (!), so will be trying Rufe & other sources...