PDA

View Full Version : It never rains but it pours

Porcine_Aviator
Friday 5th June 2009, 15:47
So after leaving my V70 T5 at a local garage because the gearbox is shot. I thought I could rely on my 850 T5 to get me around. I took her in for six monthly oil change and she seemed to be dropping a little oil. I mentioned this to the guy who was doing the job, and he had a look around underneath, and so did I. Yes there was a little oil but nothing major, so off I went with sump full of nice new Semi synthetic oily stuff.

As I put the boot down I noticed a red light flash on the dash, ah thought I the washer bottle needs a top up. When I put the foot down again the red light came on and it wasn't the washer it was coolant. So I got home and topped her up, went out and drove around for a week, and at the end of the week I found the light was coming back on.

Now I was beginning to think that all was not well, and I could have a leak in the system. So I topped her up and booked her in to the garage, where they have just done a pressure test and surprise, well no not really, I've got a hole in the rad'.
To add to this I checked the oil while I was there and it was on the bottom notch of the dipstick, and that's after a week of so of driving.

The got it up on the lift and found the leak in the rad', but just like the last time it was in the air, there's no major oil leak showing up.

They have stuck some blue gunk in the rad' to try and stop the leak, but I'm going to need a new one. Still I have a new aircon rad' that can go in at the same time as they do the main one.

So it looks like I'm going to be carless at this rate.

AlanG
Friday 5th June 2009, 16:16
If it wasn't for bad luck,you'd have none at all....

Niles
Friday 5th June 2009, 16:54
just remember that the newest 850 you could get is still at least 13 years old. bits will fail & things will start to go. Fix all & carry on.

Porcine_Aviator
Friday 5th June 2009, 17:07
just remember that the newest 850 you could get is still at least 13 years old. Bits will fail & things will start to go. Fix all & carry on.

rofl

Porcine_Aviator
Friday 5th June 2009, 17:07
If it wasn't for bad luck,you'd have none at all....

What's luck? :sick:

Porcine_Aviator
Friday 5th June 2009, 17:12
I posted that I had had a word with NADS a few minutes ago on the V70 side and he doesn't have a gearbox for the V70, but he does have a radiator and two top rear lights for my 850, so I've bought them and I'll hopefully get the rad fitted next week, I've got the aircon rad to go in as well.

I just hope they can track down the oil leak.

jonno12
Friday 5th June 2009, 18:18
sounds like when my rad split and th oil was mixin in the water in the rad where the oil cooler bit is on the side there was a hairline crack in the oil cooler side ( on the left of the rad )and it was mixin in with the water so could be an easy fix if that is what it is

jonno12
Friday 5th June 2009, 18:21
oh and the oil was nt lookin like it had water in it ( cloudy looking ) on the dip stick just found it by luck

and i will add a huge thanks to mr and mrs mopp for the rad they helped us out big time

Porcine_Aviator
Saturday 6th June 2009, 14:27
I've got a rad' on its way from NADS so when it gets here I'll mention that to the guys who are doing the job. Thanks very much to the post.

Porcine_Aviator
Wednesday 10th June 2009, 20:22
The rad' has arrived from NADS, thanks very much to him, I'm waiting until Christine is fixed and then I'll take the 850 T5 in for both aircon and coolant rads to be done at the same time.