PDA

View Full Version : Found the fault with my engine!!

spesh
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 21:28
Just to let those of you who have been following the spesh story (lol) found out the cause of the of the con rod through the block!!!
The rod had failed, not the con rod bolts like first thought, it didn't bend, just sheared off just above where the rod meets the crank. So will have to strip the engine down over the weekend to see if the head is damaged, fingers cross!!! :anmflower

volvotuning
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 21:32
You also need to find out why it sheared, else it will probably happen again.

Adam.

spesh
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 21:34
What are the possible causes of that then Adam????? or to many to list???

siamblue
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 22:40
Where the rods new or secondhand Speesh?If they were new then it must of been a flaw in the manufacture,Otherwise they would all fail at some stage.Check the others for cracks.

spesh
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 23:30
1 of the was new, the other 4 secound hand, will have a look and let you know

After_Shock
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 23:57
If its the new one then as mentioned could have had a fault when manufactured.

Least your getting somewhere with it. I take its going to be a full new engine though if the head is damaged?

nikgallagher
Thursday 26th May 2005, 08:21
I thought the manufacturing quality procedures for stuff like conrods was well tight. Every component must have a Certificate of Conformity etc.?

siamblue
Thursday 26th May 2005, 09:58
I thought the manufacturing quality procedures for stuff like conrods was well tight. Every component must have a Certificate of Conformity etc.?

Would have been visually inspected but not xrayed for any imperfections, God there was some serious stress going through that rod to break as it did.
I am so glad you were at 140leptons when the rod decided to go and spew oil out :jaw: