PDA

View Full Version : using a secondhand windscreen

p fandango
Monday 1st June 2009, 20:57
after a stupid mistake by myself i managed to crack the windscreen, as the car is currently off the road it hasn't got insurance so can't claim for a new one off that. I've been quoted £360 for a new one fitted which altho isn't bad as its only a weekend car its more than i'd rather pay. As plenty of 850's currently being stripped i wondered if a secondhand one can be removed & refitted, obviously i'd have to pay a professional to refit it but wondered if its a possibility or can they only be used the once due to the glueing

many thanks Duane

MrMopp
Monday 1st June 2009, 21:00
They dont come out well because of the bonding like you say duane , a breaker might be your best bet then at least they have the grief of breakages :)

p fandango
Monday 1st June 2009, 21:04
thanks, i wasn't sure if there is any safety reason a windcreen company would refuse to fit a secondhand one that had already been used (except for the loss of profit from the sale)

JUDGENINJA
Monday 1st June 2009, 21:07
I've done the odd windscreen removal and bonding session, when I worked for a garage.

It's just as simple and in the same vain just as tricky as one that uses a seal....

Cutting an old one out is really time consuming.
Cleaning everything is the most important job. White spirit and more white spirit..... followed by a bit more white spirit.
Laying sealant is a bit like sealing up a bath.

Then all you've got to do is lay the new windscreen down.. Simples!!! (not)

MrMopp
Monday 1st June 2009, 21:10
Sounds like you have a volunteer pedro ;)

p fandango
Monday 1st June 2009, 21:16
many thanks, so it can be done OK & should be cheaper than a new one

JUDGENINJA
Monday 1st June 2009, 21:18
Sounds like you have a volunteer pedro ;)
........ I'm busy that weekend....!!!

oH yeah ..... and a bit of masking tape to hold the screen in place so it doesn't slide down.

One thing has just sprung to mind is we used to borrow(obtain) the sealent from a local windscreen company.... So I don't know if there is different types of sealant or not.

You must be able to buy it over the counter somewhere???

p fandango
Monday 1st June 2009, 21:20
........ I'm busy that weekend....!!!

oH yeah ..... and a bit of masking tape to hold the screen in place so it doesn't slide down.

One thing has just sprung to mind is we used to borrow(obtain) the sealent from a local windscreen company.... So I don't know if there is different types of sealant or not.

You must be able to buy it over the counter somewhere???
lol don't worry Judge, with the car not on the road yet it'll have to be done locally. I'd probably get a windscreen company to fit it anyway once i get hold of one

thanks for the help mate

MrMopp
Monday 1st June 2009, 21:23
lol don't worry Judge, with the car not on the road yet it'll have to be done locally. I'd probably get a windscreen company to fit it anyway once i get hold of one

thanks for the help mate

A decent breakers will fit it for you duane :)

PaulZX
Monday 1st June 2009, 21:41
I'd go to Rowleys or whites, then pick me up, and get some sealant, and some stella to keep me going. Sounds like a job that we can do pedro.... if you can't get a company to fit it that is, obviously lol..... :D

p fandango
Monday 1st June 2009, 21:45
I'd go to Rowleys or whites, then pick me up, and get some sealant, and some stella to keep me going. Sounds like a job that we can do pedro.... if you can't get a company to fit it that is, obviously lol..... :D
that sounds like a plan nice one mate. I'm in no real hurry just thought i'd post it up while i remembered but i'll keep you to it if thats ok mate, you can remove my heat shield while your at it lol

PaulZX
Monday 1st June 2009, 22:00
I thought you'd say that.... bloody thing was an hour job when I took mine off,hence it staying off.....

t5 pete
Monday 1st June 2009, 23:37
Why not replace with the lighter stuff (forgot the name) you know that stuff race cars have for lightness

MrMopp
Monday 1st June 2009, 23:43
Why not replace with the lighter stuff (forgot the name) you know that stuff race cars have for lightness

Clingfilm ???

t5 pete
Monday 1st June 2009, 23:54
Clingfilm ???

Funny bugger lol ive got brain freeze at the mo

t5 pete
Monday 1st June 2009, 23:55
it begings with p

MrMopp
Monday 1st June 2009, 23:56
it begings with p

Polythene ??? :blowingup

t5 pete
Tuesday 2nd June 2009, 00:04
Polythene ??? :blowingup

perspecs did i spell that right

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 2nd June 2009, 00:07
perspecs did i spell that right

No!!! :rotfl:10 out of 10 for effort though!

t5 pete
Tuesday 2nd June 2009, 00:09
No!!! :rotfl:10 out of 10 for effort though!

LOL at least you could make out what it said

MrMopp
Tuesday 2nd June 2009, 00:11
I still prefer clingfilm lol ;)

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 2nd June 2009, 00:11
LOL at least you could make out what it said

Only because I'm self taught in PeteSpeak since you have joined :mischievo:haha:

t5 pete
Tuesday 2nd June 2009, 00:14
I still prefer clingfilm lol ;)

I cannot see any reason why some one couldnt use clingilm lol :B_steerin

t5 pete
Tuesday 2nd June 2009, 00:16
Only because I'm self taught in PeteSpeak since you have joined :mischievo:haha:

Lol yes i do have my own lanuage

MrMopp
Tuesday 2nd June 2009, 00:16
I cannot see any reason why some one couldnt use clingilm lol :B_steerin

Its cheap its light and you get about 15 windscreens per roll lol :mischievo

p fandango
Tuesday 2nd June 2009, 14:45
i don't think you can legally use Perspex for the windscreen, tempted to replace the rear window with perspex now tho lol

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 2nd June 2009, 17:40
The last time I spoke to Don from Kalmar Union, he was talking about autoclaved polycarb windscreens. I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't be road legal, after all they would almost be bullet proof.

cookie
Tuesday 2nd June 2009, 17:56
Have you rung your local independant windscreen repacement company (have a look on yell.com)

You will probably find that a non national windscreen company will supply and fit and new screen for well under 1/2 what you've been quoted (I was quoted 110 inc Vat and fitting for a Mazda screen with choice of blue or green tint)

p fandango
Tuesday 2nd June 2009, 18:40
The last time I spoke to Don from Kalmar Union, he was talking about autoclaved polycarb windscreens. I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't be road legal, after all they would almost be bullet proof.
i think most of the ruling is to how the screen reacts in a crash, ie does it shatter into chucks or small pieces. & TBH knowing plastic/perspex glares the sun once its got a few marks/swirls/scratches i think i'll stick with glass thanks mate

p fandango
Tuesday 2nd June 2009, 18:41
Have you rung your local independant windscreen repacement company (have a look on yell.com)

You will probably find that a non national windscreen company will supply and fit and new screen for well under 1/2 what you've been quoted (I was quoted 110 inc Vat and fitting for a Mazda screen with choice of blue or green tint)
tbh no i only tried the RAC, i'll have a look & get some more quotes

thanks alot

Tomcat
Tuesday 2nd June 2009, 19:04
At the salvage yard I used to work at we used to sell second hand screens all the time, we used to get a guy to come in to remove the old one and fit it to the new car, he used to us a piece of serated wire to cut through the old selant, bit like a cheese wire.

jay30h
Tuesday 2nd June 2009, 19:54
I had a new windscreen fitted to my t5 for 145 inc vat last year ,ring a few local outfits from the yellow pages and play them off against other.

cookie
Tuesday 2nd June 2009, 21:16
The reason that insurance companies charge you 20 quid for widscreen cover, and then 75 quid excess, but doesn't affect you no claims, is because technically its hardly a claim, 2 years premium and 1 excess more than covers what the insurance company actually pay to replace a windscreen.

I assume its why the windscreen companies all push repairs as they probably get same money (and same net cost to insurance company), but you are more likely to have a repair that replace the screen.

for some reason glass and glazing seems to be massively hyped by insurance companies -
I had a small crack on Mazda windscreen that I thought may be an MOT failure, so shopped around for a quote and RAC etc quoted silly prices 3-400 quid, 4 local non advertised, non national companies ALL quoted sub 140 quid B4 even haggling (didn't need in end as car passed MOT)

I nearly claimed for 2 broken windows on my household insurance a few years back, however I rang a local independant glazing company, and to supply and fit 2 double glazed panels was grand total of 45 quid, (rather than the 75 quid excess I was to pay direct to the insurance company recommended glazier)